Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • car names / models – why do they change?
  • easygroove
    Free Member

a nissan dualis (australia) is a quahqai(sp)? in UK. why the different names ?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Duals in English means a mans willy, quasqhaui in Australian means a mans willy. So they changed them about a bit.

donsimon
    Free Member
    King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve just brought an MX-5 (stop sniggering at the back) I would sooner it be called a Miata, than Mazda Xperiment number 5.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It was a sad day when Ford stopped naming their cars after gentlemans art pamphlets.

scaredypants

yeah, the razzle RS was brilliant

samuri
    Free Member

Aye, I was holding out for the Ford Readers Wive’s Special

muddy@rseguy

Toyota MR2 was not sold in France as its name, MR2, when pronounced in french was “M, Air, Duex” or “Merde”… 🙂

porter_jamie

marketing, innit.
    Nova in Spanish (i think) means no go
    MR2 in French means poo (merde)

derek_starship
    Free Member

The MR2 was sold in France. It was badged Toyota MR. Without the deux there was no shit!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

This thread got me looking up the origins of some car names, found this which I thought was quite interesting:

http://m.neatorama.com/2008/02/18/evolution-of-car-logos/

konabunny
    Free Member

Nova in Spanish (i think) means no go

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

skirrto
    Free Member

Anyone remember the Mitsubishi Starrion. It was meant to be the big brother to the Colt, but the Japanese confusion of Ls and Rs let them down.

For similar reasons to the MR2, the Rolls Royce Silver Mist didn’t sell too well in Germany.

chiefgrooveguru

The Nissan Cedric would have sold so well here…

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, you know why Shimano Deore is called Deore, don’t you? The first Shimano MTB mechs had a picture of a deer on them, and there was a slight translation error…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘car names / models – why do they change?’ is closed to new replies.