Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Car insurance. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • twinklydave

To be fair it’s not really about crime, it’s about claims

Don’t most claims have to be backed up with a police crime number though (I know not all will – reversing into a lampost and the like)?

warton
    Free Member

i’m worried, ours is up in Jan. last years after a small bump my wife had the cost was 1200. this year she crashed properly into another car (he did the whole whiplash thing) and i’ve got three points as of last month 😥

uplink
    Free Member

Just spoke to Lv, £1100.

Calling them direct you can use XBNU as a £20 discount code [it’s a flyer from my union]
    Not much in the scheme of things but …………..

Drac

Don’t most claims have to be backed up with a police crime number though (I know not all will – reversing into a lampost and the like)?

No not really, only crimes or accidents injury other people or property.

njee20
    Free Member

Any RTAs won’t be reflected in the ‘crime statistics’ though surely? Only break-ins, thefts etc?

loddrik
    Free Member

Hastings Direct – £1900

twinklydave

Any RTAs won’t be reflected in the ‘crime statistics’ though surely? Only break-ins, thefts etc?

Aah, there was a “vehicle crime” section and an “any other crime” section I thought might cover it, but maybe not.

Would love to see the stats for the area I moved to though, to find out why one company thought it was higher risk and everyone else thought it was lower…

thomthumb
    Free Member

On getting in contact with them I was informed that the modifications I have make no difference to the policy so don’t need to be listed…even though they’re included on the list their own website states “must be declared”…and even though it affected the price.

get that in writing. you don’t want them wriggling out later.

peachos
    Free Member

Oh and having an alarm fitted doesn’t lower the cost of the policy by the looks of it, as having it taken off the policy made no difference to the price…

it’s utter bollocks to be honest. just been through the process, which took me a good week of stressing to get a 1.8 berlingo with the mrs & her 2 years NCB as the main driver, me & her bro insured. eventually came in at £975 third party fire & theft (car value = £700), but most of the quotes were in the £1600-£1800 region. this is manchester btw so also high risk area.

anyway what i wanted to say & why i highlighted the quote above:

i was fiddling around with job titles, mileage etc like you do & had a quote at £1600. i went back and changed from ‘no alarm’ to ‘thatcham cat 2 alarm/immobiliser’ and the quote came back at £1800. everything else remained the same!!! crazy.

its pot-luck im my eyes. keep at it and you’ll eventually get a quote that you’re happy with (or can just about stomach). it will probably based on the alignment of the stars at that particular moment or something.

Drac

It takes in all claims from what I believe or you could have low crime and high amount accidents in the area then be better off.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Try AXA. I just got a quote for < £330 on a Citroen C4 1.6SX in BD17 postcode

twinklydave

get that in writing. you don’t want them wriggling out later.

Oh I did, trust me! 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Blimey, down in the west country, C-Max 2.0 TDCi, only 3 yrs no claims (as was on Wife’s insurance before that), about £500 which I thought was steep given it was £500 3 years ago with no NCB.

GENESIS_IO_2002
    Free Member

Try a broker. Much cheaper. I use K & K Insurance 01646621374 ask for Keith or Karen

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just out of interest try insuring it with you as the named driver instead of the wife. I share a motorbike with my 25 year old son and it was 80 odd quid cheaper for him to insure it with me (with 30+ year experience) as a named rider than me to insure it with him as a named rider, if we just wanted to insure it solo it was cheaper for me than him. 🙄

duckers
    Free Member

Make sure you try all the price comparison sites (confused, gocompare, moneysupermarket, beat that quote, etc) as some have deals with insurers where they are guaranteed to be the cheapest site, also try cashback sites like quidco as you can get cash back deals to save more by signing up. Its generally cheaper to insure the female driver as the main policy holder and the male partner as a named driver.

timc
    Free Member

another L postcode here… group 14 2.0tdi, 2 year no claims, total loss crash 3 years ago, current policy is £1150, was £1650 last two years!

Im 29 for what it matters

maxray
    Free Member

We’ve got a 2.0TDI Touran, was 600 n summet to insure fully comp with Esure that was a B postcode parked in the street.

aracer
    Free Member

Its generally cheaper to insure the female driver as the main policy holder and the male partner as a named driver

Until you come to claim and they find that the man does all the driving and the female very little.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Try NFU (National Farmers Union.) Great customer service, very helpful staff etc.

uplink
    Free Member

Until you come to claim and they find that the man does all the driving and the female very little

surely impossible to prove in a lot of cases
    I certainly couldn’t say who does the most miles in my wifes car, she does loads of short runs, I do less longer ones
    when it got wrote off they didn’t ask who did what % of the driving

nonk
    Free Member

NFU all the way for van insurance for sure £400 quid cheaper than the nearest quote for me.

jackthedog
    Free Member

NFU

My NFU renewal saw £200 rise in one year for no reason. Wouldn’t budge on phone. Cancelled renewal. Rang around, nobody could get near.

Car went in crusher.

To be fair to NFU they are good to deal with – just not too keen on the report you get every year as a member of the mutual – learning how much the directors earn (£800,000 per year) is annoying when you’re being quoted into oblivion.

chewkw
    Free Member

You call that expensive?

I just got my provisional license and the other driver has an international driving license and we are buying a car … the insurance cost …

£3,023 and the other person can only drive for 30 days.

Yes, the claim culture … 🙄

oh ya … the car cost £5k (Toyota 1.6 automatic gear, 2005 model on 30,100 miles).

Also DVLA said the other person is legally able to drive with her licence for a year but then non of the insurance companies were willing to insure her because she is just a visitor. The other person has driven for more than 20 years and while here also took some driving lessons just to understand the etiquette of driving in the UK.

boblo
    Free Member

I went to Aviva this year through Top Cashback. 20% discount for doing it on the net and £80 cashback means my premium this year is less than last.

I wouldn’t bother with Direct Line, they’ve gone really expensive over the last year or so. I used More Than last year and they were the cheapest then.

br
    Free Member

Insurance has gone up in the last year for all, my last four years with this car are:

2008 – £260
    2009 – £270
    2010 – £267
    2011 – £320

So while not a lot by other standards, its still a 20% rise.

Comp with full business cover, parked on the road.

tron
    Free Member

I seem to remember a very similar moan about insuring a people carrier about 12 months ago…

spacemonkey

Mine’s up for renewal this month too. Currently with More Than who’ve decided to up my renewal from £400 to £600! WTF? And I’ve been with them for about 6-7 years now.

Have looked at loads of reviews of MT and other providers and can’t find any that shine. Alright, most review sites might be made up of people complaining as opposed to singing praises, but even so, it makes you wonder who you can trust should you need to make a claim.

A-Plan had the best rating but like someone said earlier, they’re proper pricey.

Are you lot choosing renewals on price alone?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.