• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car insurance woes
  • Offpistejon
    Free Member

Just received dox for new insurance policy (for new car), Direct Line have asked for proof of no claims. I can’t actually provide this as I am a named driver on wife’s ins, also with DL. It was my fault as I now realise I was stating no claims rather than named driver no claims on application. Result is extra £160 charge which is too much – what should I do?

Shop around for new deal on both cars?

Cough up and get on with life?

Something else?

Any advice from similar experiences much appreciated!!

mrben100
    Free Member

Always shop around – I rearely find Direct Line to be the cheapest.

Privilege have been the cheapest by at least £80-£100 for me the last 3 years compared to using the comparison websites.

Strange though, I think they are underwitten by Direct Line. 😕

Del

thought DL actually allow you to accrue ncd as a named driver?
    worth asking the question/doing the research.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Ring them up and speak to them. If you can’t get a deal for having two policies etc you can probably cancel your policy with them due to 14day cooling off period. Then just shop around for a better deal (as you should when the wife’s expires).

There’s an article on moneysavingexpert which tells you which order of comparison sites gives the best coverage of quotes.

IdleJon

Del – Member
    thought DL actually allow you to accrue ncd as a named driver?
    worth asking the question/doing the research.

They give named drivers NCB if they are insured with Direct Line.

Referring to OP: Funny how people suddenly don’t understand how NCB works until they are asked to prove it?

Offpistejon
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice, will do some shopping then…….

Del

I am a named driver on wife’s ins, also with DL.

umm, maybe i’m being thick, but if he had his own policy and was a named driver, he’d have his own ncd entitlement, wouldn’t he?
    if the ‘we give ncd to named drivers’ from DL is dependant on them having their own insurance previously, it wouldn’t be much of a benefit, would it?

i understand ncd is a bit of a con…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance woes’ is closed to new replies.