• This topic has 70 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Car Help (mechanical)
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

ck, what car / engine you got? Obviously something with a blower in it!

coffeeking
    Free Member

’91 Widebody Celica GT4 running a ’93 Japanese MR2 tubby engine with the turbo and gearbox off the ST205, all running from a megasquirt (MS1 V2.2).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Interesting, quick? 😆
    Dont suppose you’re going to Japfest @ Coombe this year are you?

coffeeking
    Free Member

It used to be 🙂 Now it’s a bit unhappy sitting smelling sickly sweet in the office carpark. I’d only just changed to the water to air chargecooler too 🙁 I might be going but I’m thinking of ploughing all my finances into the new project so it may have to be sacrificed 🙁 Are you? What are you running?

singletrackmind

Fixed my vacuum leak . Wobbly pipe on back of vacuum pump . Large amount of mastic sealant and its back to normal , for now

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im going purely as a viewer, I have no car of my own. Mate has a number of Legnum VR4s….

Taff
    Free Member

CK – looks nasty but you sounds like the type of guy that can fix it blindfolded!

Found my leak, the flared connection on the back box has disintegrated and also cracked. If it were the middle section I would just go to euro for a cheap £30 centre, hoping I can get another bosal though through a LMF tomorrow. Just hope it’s in stock!

singletrackmind

my mate Declan usually does drifting displays at Japfest in a Toyota Soarer .
    500 – 520 bhp + very sideways ,

bigyinn
    Free Member

Saw some of that last year. Proper car abuse, 30mph sideways, blue tyre smoke with the engines bouncing off the limiter. 🙄

Taff
    Free Member

My mate used to go there with his drifting mates. Would like to go at some point… may get laughed at turning up in the girly 206!!

Exhaust fixed… I hope. Bloody clamp seized completely which made it entertaining… in the work car park

bigyinn
    Free Member

You may struggle to drift with a 206! 😆

Taff
    Free Member

🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Glad you’re sorted Taff!

Think mine won’t be being repaired at this rate, worth more as parts and cash towards my next project 🙂

206 with a (sort of) drift…

Taff
    Free Member

Well I was sorted for a few hours at least. Had a problem a year ago when the fitting kit for my rear pads came out. Just done it again and lost a pad on the road somewhere. Put a split pin into the retainer rather than using the crappy clip that comes in the fitting kit pack. I’m pretty sure the pads and the fitting kit have been forced out of the back of the caliper itself. Took all the tools out of the car last night so can’t fix at work today so it’s in the garage. Not what I want 2 weeks before I head off to the US.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think the car is trying to tell you something…..

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s your own fault for driving a Peugot.

Taff
    Free Member

yes yes yes. Alhtough I hated my 306 for electrical issues alone it was such a reliable car and pretty much all mechanical so fettling was relatively easy. The 206 is a complete pain, I did however pay 2K for a car worth 4k from a mechanic friend as it was a cat D write off [tailgate, bumper and light damage] but still in very good ocndition. Couldn’t really refuse that with 40k on the clock at the time. I do want something else but it will have to wait until after my hols.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Lets not get into the childish peugeot bashing. I’m not the only person who’s found peugeots to be about the most reliable and cheap to run vehicles on the road (though the x07’s have gained something of an electrical reputation!). I’m not THAT good at picking second hand cars that I can avoid all faults on cars that people claim are completely riddled with faults.

WRT the rear caliper, they’re pretty safe by design, pads should not even be able to fall out unless you have the wrong (or dodgy) pads or very worn retaining parts (which should get changed with every couple of changes of pad).

molgrips
    Free Member

Lets not get into the childish peugeot bashing

Aka banter.. but you have to admit they aren’t top of the reliability tables.

WRT the rear caliper, they’re pretty safe by design, pads should not even be able to fall out

This.

Taff
    Free Member

In fairness my Pugs have always been pretty good especially in comparison with colleagues cars. Just always goes wrong when you don’t have money or are busy.

I put in EBC pads last time and as I had lost the fitting kit I out in a new fitting kit. The only thing I didn’t put in were the anti-rattle springs mainly as the only set available from a LMF were missing one hence getting it half price. The previous pads weren’t fitted using them so I opted that they weren’t a major issue and other car forums intimated the same… now not so sure! The last fitting kit I put in was a spare so I should really ahve changed it ASAP rather than just hope. I do find that the nearside caliper is really difficult to get the cotter pin between the brake pads and the caliper however the offisde slides in with ease. As the figure 8 clips that hold the cotter pin in place are rubbish and prone to becoming lost I put in a split pin which I opened up so really don’t know how else the cotter pin would’ve come out inless it was forced out the back of the caliper. Hopefully the garage is just sorting it for me now but I’m now going to ahev to keep a spare set of pads, fitting kit and the tools in the car to cover future eventualities as it’s now a worry.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think the key to many peugeot reputation problems stem from this sort of thing – (no offence intended, I’m as guilty as you in some ways!) people trying to run the car on a shoestring, not performing proper maintenance and treating the car as someting that gets repaired when it goes wrong rather than staying on top of it.

You can’t leave out the springs, they’re not just anti-rattle springs, they position the pad correctly within the caliper. On top of that they prevent the rattling around (hence the name) which wears the locating surfaces so pads break loose. FWIW the sliding edge and pin should not be loose at all, there’s about 0.25mm clearance on a new everything setup and it usually takes tapping in lightly with a spanner/pliers. Really brakes are not the place to go buying half price with missing parts, but I suspect you’ve spotted that 😉

Taff
    Free Member

I suspect I will be getting a new caliper today/tomorrow given what you’ve said about the fitting kit. I don’t normally scrimp with a fair few bits. Although I could get cheap bits from a LMF it’s the same as the bike, you have to spend some money to make it perform/last. I only got the half price fitting kit as it was the only one about and normally are only a tenner. peugeot had some in stock but wanted £30 for the same thing which as you may agre is a rip off!

I’m probably not as good with the 206 as I was the the old 306 mainly because most maintenance gets done during the annual service at the garage where as on the 306 I was constantly fettling and checking everything being my first car and my pride and joy!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yep, the fitting kits are stupidly expensive from Pug. It could just be that the slider/angled item was poorly sized allowing the pad to pop up. Even so I’m fairly amazed it actually came right out. Must have been a scary moment losing half your braking!

Taff
    Free Member

I was in town at the time, half term means quiet roads so it was fine and I was turning into a quiet road to drop the mrs off so it wasn’t as bad as the first time it happened when I was doing ’70’ down the motorway on a very busy day!

Taff
    Free Member

All fixed for now. Cost as much for a garage to replace my rear brakes as it would have cost me to replace the front and rear. Garage said anti rattles are needed to make the fitting really tight so well see how it goes

garage-dweller

Nowt wrong with (older) peugeots. Had a 306gti6 and a 406 v6 estate for a while. The two most satisfying to own cars out of the 7 or 8 cars i’ve owned. The gti was track dayed and had done 100k when i sold up and still ran like a new car. Well maintained at home for the most part. I miss it :'(

stucol
    Free Member

My 206 likes strange self fixing intermittant electrical faults.

Also the bearings went in the back axle (trailing arms) at 70k. Utterly impossible to get the trailing arms off to change the bearings. Local garage would not even try after i gave up. Replacement axle scourced from a scrappy.

Oh and take a pal if you go for an axle, they are shockingly heavy.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Hey coffeking, if you fancy selling your st185 i might be interested. I seem to be collecting them at the minute 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

What you offering? 🙂 until recently I wouldn’t have sold it for the world, but my new plans need cash lol.
    What fours do you have?

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 185’s. One pretty standard import that’s up for sale and my 430hp beastthat’s never going to be for sale 😈

Both in the best colour, astral black.

They can be the most infuriating cars at times, all forgiven when you get back behind the wheel.

How much you looking for for yours? What’s the full spec?

Taff
    Free Member

I had a 306 DTurbo. Loved it to bits, self maintained too. Bit underpowered but it was a real work horse. Electrical faults generally sorted by cleaning or putting in new earths!

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Car Help (mechanical)’ is closed to new replies.