Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • car fuel consumption gone up loads
  • Pook

I’ve got a 1.6 auto focus. Not the best of cars, nor any fun, and I do 90miles a day.

anyway, over the past fortnight or so, the fuel consumption has gone up so I’m no longer getting around 350 miles a tank, instead its down to about 270.

what could it be?

tron
    Free Member

Thermostat sticking open. Engine never really gets up to operating temperature and uses a lot more fuel.

Next option would be temperature sensors.

RustyMac

Brake binding? does your car have rear disks? check tyre pressures too.

DickBarton

Check Tyre pressures are correct.

onehundredthidiot

Brake binding. Put your hand over the hub after a drive if hot(warm) there’s your reason. Don’t touch the disc, honestly it will be hot.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Changed your listening habits?

Heavy right foot

buttercup
    Free Member

Change oil and belts? How long since last service?
    Maybe plugs have gone out of spacing as well.

althepal

Have had the same prob with ours the last coupla weeks.. Weird eh?
    1.6 petrol manual 2006. Recommend looking down at the spark plugs to see if there’s any water pooling around there.. Had this problem a coupla years ago, there’s a prob with some of the washer nipples, not very well sealed and causes water to drip right onto the engine and collects round the plugs corroding them and eventually causing misfires.. Worth checking too..

kayak23

Have you put on weight?

wwaswas

It’s this area of high pressure over the uk. The resultant increase in air density means that the car is having to put more fuel into the mixture to stop it being too lean.

Maybe.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If its nothing obvious like binding brakes or flat tyres the next step would be to get the fault codes read. It’ll most likley be a failed lambda sensor (they don’t always put the engine management light on).

uwe-r
    Free Member

Get yourself a gas clean thing like this

motivforz
    Free Member

Soo many things it could be! All of the above are good checks. Another one is fuel leak – start the car (or just prime the fuel by going to position one on the key) and have a good sniff around the back seats, boot and rear wheel arches.

voodoo_chile

Pook, i have same car and i felf over the last couple of weeks it was using a bit too much go juice…..strange

Pook

It’s due a service. I’ll check all this before and get it booked in anyway.

cheers all

Sum
    Free Member

In addition to the above suggestions, check your automatic fluid level. If too low the torque converter may be slipping. Also check the catalytic convertor, which may have failed and partially blocking the exhaust. Check the air filter too.

Clutching at straws now, it may be a dodgy batch of petrol. I’d try another petrol station just on the off chance.

br
    Free Member

Also actually work out the consumption rather than estimating.

sam_underhill

Also actually work out the consumption rather than estimating.

err….. you don’t need to bother if you are getting less miles from a tank.

Dibbs
    Free Member

err….. you don’t need to bother if you are getting less miles from a tank.

You do if the fuel gauge has started playing up (unless you drive till empty every time) 🙄

deadslow

Take the dead bodies out of the boot?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘car fuel consumption gone up loads’ is closed to new replies.