Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Car keeps stalling – new battery and alternator?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

It was the original battery that was replaced yesterday. The only non original things are the tyres, wiper blades and light bulbs and now the battery. That’s not bad for a shit Renault!

New Battery now and runs good but it needed the service anyway.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whats a gas clean of the engine?

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno how a new battery would help it run, if the alternator was working. But I am not a mechanic 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Gas clean?

Thats a new one. I bet they charged you £50+VAT for a jet wash of your electrics?

😆

Either that or they fitted NOS? 8)

hora
    Free Member

Gas clean?

Thats a new one. I bet they charged you £50+VAT for a jet wash of your electrics?

😆

Either that or they fitted NOS? 8)

retro83
    Free Member

Maybe they just cleaned the ICV or throttle body using compressed air.

uwe-r
    Free Member

See the blurb below of the website. Its basically fuel additives that you can buy but in the garage they disconnect the fuel line and run the engine with a fuel with a very high concentration of solvents. I also assume it involves a bit of an Italian tune up.
    I am pretty confident it doesn’t involve jet washing the exterior but whatever!

We use Forté Advanced Formula Gas Treatment that has been specifically formulated to combat driveability concerns caused by the by products of combustion and the adverse affects of fuel degradation.
    • Improve engine performance and driveability
    • Reduce noxious exhaust emissions
    • Improve cold starting
    • Prevent fuel system corrosion and control fuel oxidation
    • Provide injector and upper cylinder lubrication
    Remove lacquer, varnish, acid and soot deposits
    Must be done in conjunction with an oil change service.
    During the long interval between oil drains, crankcase acids are produced. If left within the system when the oil is changed, these acids immediately go to work breaking down the new oil leading to the creation of lacquers and varnishes which are deposited on the oil system components such as Hydraulic Valve Lifters, Variable Valve Timing Systems and Piston Rings. These components work within very tight tolerances and any sticking due to the deposits in the oil system results in inefficient operation of the system and poor driveability.
    • Neutralises crankcase Acids.
    • Removes lacquer, varnish, sludge and insoluble deposits from the crankcase.
    • Frees sticking Variable Valve Timing systems, Hydraulic Valve Lifters and Piston Rings.
    • Stabilises cylinder compression restoring lost engine power.
    • Cleans engines internally and provides anti-wear protection.
    • Cleans oilways ensuring oil flow to critical moving parts.
    • Keeps new oil cleaner for longer

Trekster

molgrips – Member
    I dunno how a new battery would help it run, if the alternator was working. But I am not a mechanic

POSTED 8 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Modern car electronics need a certain amount of power to work as did old cars. Can’t remember the figure but 10 volts rings a bell

Drac

What Trekster said, the battery needs some life or the alternator works overtime to try and meet the jobs as well as trying to charge a battery that can’t be charged. Seen it loads of times at work before we got contestant charge points fitted now only happens when the batteries are well dead.

coffeeking
    Free Member

FWIW your ECU will start the car as long as the starter will turn the engine,they generally run from low drop-out 5v or 3.3v regulators and these operate down to about 1v above their regulated voltage. A shafted battery will drop to about 7 volts during cranking, any less and the starter won’t even begin to turn the engine. So they’re very capable in brown-out situations.

Also FYI a mildly sticky ICV will be nicely masked by lobbing a nice fresh new battery on the task. Been there, done that too 🙂 When it starts doing it again take a peak at a haynes breakdown diagram of the intake, locate the ICV, remove it (2 or 3 bolts) and clean it with WD40, re-lube with a very light oil and wipe clean, re-fit and all should be well. Free fix in 90% of cases from what I read.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Car keeps stalling – new battery and alternator?’ is closed to new replies.