Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Car fanatics, can you advice?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Belts, chains? Pah…

Honda have had it right on their V4 motorbike engines for some time now, gear driven cams are where it’s at…

Well, that is until they perfect camless valve operation, using solenoids to open and shut the valves instead of a cam removes any weak physical links. Though obviously it would introduce some electrical ones.

Gachet, very interesting to hear about the timing chain thing on the M series Beemers. I’d often wondered if that was a bit of an urban myth, or one perpetuated by those in the industry, as “normal” BMWs with chain driven cams never need the chain replacing… The chain tensioner should be checked every once in a while of course, but no need to replace. Have owned 2 E34 5 series now (a 520i and a marvellous 6speed manual 540i) that were both well past 100k miles when they came into my care, and no engine worries whatsoever.

hairy, if you want a diesel car, that’s quiet, reliable and has chain driven cams, find yourself an E34 BMW 525tds. They’re getting old now, so finding one in good condition can be tricky, but rest assured the engine will go on loooooong past everything else giving up the ghost on that car, and the E34 5 series is reckoned to be the best built and most reliable BMW ever. My mate test drove one the other week, was tatty as hell and really hadn’t been looked after, the owner wanted 350 quid for it, but sadly it would have needed that spending again just to get through its MOT as it had 2 knackered shocks and the brakes were dodgy. Engine was fine though, with just coming up to 200k on the clock!

Hairychested
    Free Member

The only issue is as long as I’m in Eire the local road tax laws make it prohibitively expensive. I’m paying E614 annually for a 1905cc engined car, 2.5l would make it over a grand.
    Besides, as crap a driver as I am, I prefer FWD cars (ok, abuse me then).

swamp_boy

TDi Landrovers have a belt and some had a reputation for going, but there was fix for the underlying problem and as long as you change them regularly [around 60,000] they are no trouble, I’ve got 220,000 on one and 130,00 on another and both are fine. Not the cheapest maintenance job, as it takes some work to get at it, but much cheaper than not doing it.

One firm made an after market gear drive, but it had a very bad reputation. In fairness to Honda, if they’ve done it they’ve probably got it right.

Chains are inherently stronger, but can still snap, I’ve known one go, but it was pushrod engine, the rods bent and saved a lot of damage elsewhere. On a modern OHC engine with angled valves it could have been terminal.

Pieface

Funny how people want chains in their engines, and rubber belts on their bikes

fisha
    Free Member

Swampboy :
    It was early 300Tdi engines which had the belt problem due to a slightly mis-aligned belt pully which iirc could wear at the edges of the belt to the point of failure. It was fairly quickly fixed with a new pulley design which was a retrofit as well.

The timing gears were Zeus Gearing IIRC. I remember there being issues with them … i think down to vibration and resonance and also being a lot noisier once installed. Looking a the honda picture, the gears are spoked which may help in vibration damping compared to the Zeus ones which i half remember being solid discs. WAS a good number of years ago though since I was into that aspect of landies.

u

Hairychested
    Free Member

I don’t want a belt on my bike, chain is the new future!

timber

just to say it again, mondeo tdci
    also quite a probability that the gf’s 1.0 3cyl corsa is a chain too

molgrips
    Free Member

Solenoid valves ftw. Coupled with variable compression ratio, that’ll be the engine of the future. You’ll be able to vary the displacement on the fly. Cruising? 600cc engine flat out. Need power? 2.5l on tap.

TheFlyingOx

Given the catastrophic damage that occurs
    when they break , it ‘ s always seemed and
    incredibly weak link to have in the system .
    Why have manufacturers persisted with rubber
    belts for so long ?

Don’t cars have non-interference pistons nowadays? My old Toyota had them, and it was introduced in 1989.

boblo
    Free Member

Belts, chains? Pah…

Honda have had it right on their V4 motorbike engines for some time now, gear driven cams are where it’s at…
    <snip>
    hairy, if you want a diesel car, that’s quiet, reliable and has chain driven cams, find yourself an E34 BMW 525tds.
    <snip>

Hondas V4 gear driven cam engine was developed for the VFR750 on the back of the ‘great chocolate cam’ controvesey (late ’80’s). Apparently, they lost money on every one they sold due to the high R&D costs. I had one, it was my first ‘big bike’ – fantastic….

I also had the 2.5tds in an Omega. Had it from new and put 150k miles on it in 2.5 years…. No issues at all… Just disks and othe wear parts. Once I ran it on the Autobhan at maximum for a full tank of juice – it lapped it up (unlike my front seat passenger 🙂 ) Trouble is, they were adopted by the Taxi community and are all interstellar mileages now.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

My VW transporter T5 also has a chain. Not such a short list then!

That’s why the stingy muppets at BMW (and Audi) don’t even give you a fricking spare wheel, jack or even a wheel wrench!!!

I suspect that’s because most of the owners wouldn’t know what to do with one even if they gave them one…..

molgrips
    Free Member

No point adding a jack or wrench if there’s no spare, is there? And don’t most BMWs come with run flats? Seems reasonable.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I suspect that’s because most of the owners wouldn’t know what to do with one even if they gave them one…..

It’s because most come with runflat tyres. Which are utter sh1te. Changed mine ASAP and now have a 12v compressor and tyre weld. But if I get a blow out, I’ll need to call a breakdown truck. Not ideal. No space for a spare, a jack or even a wheel wrench.

Why are BMW drivers any less likely to be able to change a wheel BTW? Are they all disabled or something?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cos they’re all ****, Mat 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My local tyre dealer is run by **** but I bet they can all change a wheel… 😉

It’s fascinating the way people try and make themselves feel better about life through cars.

1) Call Boxsters and Caymans “poor man’s Porsches” (I don’t know many poor people that can afford £40k+ on a 2 seat car)
    2) Call various decent sports car “hairdressers cars”
    3) Brand all BMW/Audi/Merc drivers as rude and incapable of doing anything practical like changing a wheel. Smug in the knowledge that he can easily change a wheel on his ***insert name of boring car***
    4) Mock anything vaguely prestige from big SUVs to fast Mercs on the lamest of grounds. “Oooh I wouldn’t be seen dead in an SL65 Merc – it has less cupholders than my ***insert name of boring car***
    5) Assume all BMW/Audi/Merc drivers actually have no interest in cars and only bought one to try and look well off.
    6) Pull out the old “oh those BMWs/Audis/Merc are useless in the snow, I’m much better off in my ***insert name of boring car***

And many more examples.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s fascinating the way people try and make themselves feel better about life through cars.

Isn’t that what you do all the time? You insult people’s cars even when the argument has nothing to do with cars!

boblo
    Free Member

Less caffeine for Surf-Mat 😆

It dunt bother me what people think about the things I drive/ride… If they want to generalise and leap to silly conclusions, they can do so in their own little bubble of ignorance 😉

I’d still love to walk into a really swanky dealers in my old gardening clobber with the intent of a major cash purchase…. just to see the reaction… Interestingly, I didn’t buy a BM recently as I thought the dealer was a total wan..err plonker. The final straw came as I sat there chatting away and a courier came in to swap the salesmans personal mobile phone. He chose to do this rather than ‘harvest’ my (considerable) commission – silly boy. I got up and walked out. That was a £50k+ sale….

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Please find a single example of me insulting anything other than overpriced Saabs, Alfas and overrated and underpriced Audis? 😉

You are a prime example of one who tries to make himself feel better about his Prius and Passat by having random pops at others – ooh does it need to be that fast, ooh its got high emissions, ooh it does’t give ten quid to charity every time you fill it up, etc, etc.

boblo
    Free Member

Here we go….

Surf-Mat and Molgrips earlier in their rendition of ‘Women in Love’

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

As usual, he started it.

molgrips
    Free Member

What usually happens is that we have a row and then you start using ‘Prius driver’ or ‘Passat driver’ as an epithet.

You are a prime example of one who tries to make himself feel better about his Prius and Passat by.. *snip*

That makes no sense. I didn’t inherit those cars, I chose them. It’s precisely BECAUSE I feel that emissions are important that I bought a Prius.

Are you suggesting that deep down I regret my purchase but I am in denial about it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

No not at all. But you do like to shoot others down for rather bizarre reasons.

I sometimes think your perfect car would be a supercharged V8 Range Rover but you’re not allowed one 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mean to shoot people down. I keep bringing up this stuff about emissions and consumption because I think it’s important, and people ought not forget it. Likewise road safety.

It’s true that I love the mechanics of cars, and I love to drive fast too. But I also love cruising in comfort.

I would love a sporty car but personally I can’t justify high emissions just for my enjoyment, unfortunately. If I were rich enough I’d consider something sporty but I’m unlikely to go for a drive for the sake of it, so then it becomes a utility car and is again unjustifiable.

Best thing would be a car for the track and to race it regularly but I only have time for so many hobbies.

If I DIDN’T care about emissions at all, I’d get some kind of Jag or Merc – fast but comfy and stylish.

molgrips
    Free Member

And with that, I’m off for a ride in the forest that surrounds my workplace :p

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry about this…. I for one, could not give a fkuc about emmissions but I do care about fool economy as I pay for it directly…

Look around you, look at the amount of crap being produced around the World and your little squirt of C02 from your 10k miles per year is utterly irrelevant.

Yes we need to start somewhere, yes every journey starts with a single step but my impact is the same as the flea shagging the elephant and I’ll expend zero energy worrying about it.

There now 👿

Hairychested
    Free Member

molgrips, why don’t you then get a RR as they plant trees to offset your car’s emissions? Or are you waiting for an electric motor-driven Jag?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cos I could pay for carbon offsetting anyway via one of the many independent companies. Plus planting trees in temperate latitudes doesn’t help either.

Yes we need to start somewhere, yes every journey starts with a single step but my impact is the same as the flea shagging the elephant and I’ll expend zero energy worrying about it.

So you’re acknowledging every little helps, and we all need to do something, then ignoring your own wisdom in the same sentence 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Our Defender comes under the offset 10k miles scheme. Do a fair few trees have been planted because of it.

Mol – until you stop flying, driving, are self sustainable and ride wooden bikes made from your own back yard then you really cannot preach about being green.

boblo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    So you’re acknowledging every little helps, and we all need to do something, then ignoring your own wisdom in the same sentence

Yes because I recognise the futility of my actions in the face of overwhelming odds…. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not preaching. And these things are pretty much facts. Just because I fly and drive does not make them any less true.

It’s got nothing to do with moral relativism, it’s got to do with CO2. End of.

nickf
    Free Member

If I DIDN’T care about emissions at all, I’d get some kind of Jag or Merc – fast but comfy and stylish.

Actually, a lot of even the largest Jaguar and Mercedes models are pretty emissions friendly. You can have your cake AND eat it, at least to a reasonable degree. An S320CDI will do 35mpg easily, which isn’t great per se, but for a big old bruiser is very acceptable.

I had a Jaguar XJ TD loaner last year which averaged 38mpg in the time I had it (only about a week). The new model’s a lot better, apparently.

And I tried a Prius which, if I’m honest, I just didn’t like. Then again, I’ve yet to find a Toyota (Lexus included) that I warmed to.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Moral relavatism?!! That’s worse than a word I saw last week – ideation!

So if it has to do with C02, sell your Passat, don’t fly, grow your own food and insulate your house then stick up a big wind turbine.

I’m almost certain your CO2 footprint is MUCH worse than mine or many others here. You commute a long way, you use hotels that are dreadful on resource use, you fly, you have two cars, etc, etc.

If you’re going to single out every “evil” person that has a high emitting car (take note – many will have an OLD high emission car that has immediately made them qualify as using far less emissions than anyone with a newish car, whatever the g/km) while continuing to try and justify your own high emissions activities then you are being a complete hypocrite.

We work from home, fly extremely rarely, all veg sourced locally, most meat sourced locally, we work from home, we drive less than 10k miles a year, etc, etc – others here will be far “better.”

So stop preaching – you apparently like cars so enjoy them for what they are, be they a Prius or an AMG Merc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m almost certain your CO2 footprint is MUCH worse than mine or many others here

It is, yes, I completely agree.

How does that change your obligations tho or anyone else’s?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I believe that I (and you) live in a free country. Therefore we have no obligations, apart from to pay taxes.

Saccades
    Free Member

Hairychested – Your up skerries way aren’t you (northside anyways as I recall), where did you go for a spin? Wicklow/Dubs mountains or up to carlingford?

molgrips
    Free Member

Therefore we have no obligations

Oh but we do! We have moral obligations.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Do you have a list of these then?

I have never seen it if there is one.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can give you a few off the top of my head:

Be nice to each other
    Don’t damage other people’s stuff (this is where the CO2 thing comes in)
    Don’t upset other people
    Don’t endanger other people
    Look after things that everyone has to use
    Be fair
    Try and be a good person

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t believe a car thread has ended up with me reading about John Stewart Mill.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Car fanatics, can you advice?’ is closed to new replies.