Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cape Town – Suggestions
  • cdaimers

Going to cape town next week for 1 week, usual business meetings and office blah blah, have approx 1/2 day for myself, any suggestions.

Am staying near the Waterfront.

Suggestions other than getting shot/mugged/knifed would be appreciated.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Robben Island?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Walk up Table Mountain via Platteklip Gorge and take the cable car down. Great views.

Boat trip to Robben Island.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Table Mountain and the cute ‘rock chucks’, Signal Hill for nice night view of city, Chapmans Peak to see the Baboons and let them trash your car. Mind you, been over a decade since I lived there!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Depending on the time of year (sorry I cant remember but certainly the peak-possibly Christmas-ish and local holidays) there can a major wait for the Robben trip – sometimes over a week. You can book in advance. Otherwise in half a day – a wine tasting, the Table mountain trip (be a bit careful) or go and see some penguins!

Edit – I’m no expert – Ive only been a few times but come to think of it in a half day – a trip to Franschoek / Stellbosch (sp?) should be doable – certainly in a hire car. If driving yourself try not to return after dark for the first time (avoiding certain bits etc).

Generally youll have a great time – its not nearly as threating as you might expect and if youre sensible you’ll fall in love with the place.

loddrik
    Free Member

Anywhere you can’t walk round after dark can’t be worth going to.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Anywhere you can’t walk round after dark can’t be worth going to.

There’s no need to run down London, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and Glasgow all in one go! 🙂

Seriously – it’s like Barcelona or London – be careful, avoid Brixton (for example!), you’ll be fine.

phiiiiil

Get in touch with iRide Africa and spend your half day off getting some biking in!

avdave2

Hughie ride can be booked down at the port. Sat in a 1968 Hughie with the doors open as The End starts to play at full volume and the rotors begin to chop through the air as you leave the ground is something unforgettable. Banking over 500ft above the shark filled water with only a forty odd year old canvas belt holding you in makes you think as well.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Hire a bike from:

http://www.capetowncyclehire.co.za/

Delivered to your door.

Drive to http://www.mtbroutes.co.za/route.php?route_id=25

Ride!

Have used the bike guy before – brilliant. Can hire Anthems and Trances.

Tokai is superb. Basically a natural feeling trail centre on a big hill. Awesome downhill singletrack.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Seriously – it’s like Barcelona or London – be careful, avoid Brixton (for example!), you’ll be fine.

Its a lot worse than those places. The police in S.A prefer you to drink and drive than walk home at night. Its seriously unsafe after dark. Check at your hotel desk for advise before you decide “its not far ill walk”.

On a lighter note, cape point is worth a visit, chapmans drive is cool and llandundno beach is one of of the best, go in a shark cage…. so much to do there. The night life is pretty awesome.

Scamper
    Free Member

If only half a day, hire a car and see the penguins at boulder beach and then cape point.

If i recall the main drag down to the water front should be avoided at night, if out on foot.

cdaimers

thanks guys, am borrowing a bike from one of our guys out there and heading out of Kommetjie to see where we can go….

Advice taken about going out at night at Waterfront, lived in the east end of glasgow for 4 years as a student, know the score.

landy813
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

I spent a year in Cape Town as a teenager, pre-freedom.

I can personally vouch for the Table Mountain walk, however Stellenbosh is well worth a visit if only for very fine wine and beautiful surroundings.

I intend to return there one way, only this time I want to pay my respects at Robben Island.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cape Town – Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.