Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Canyon Nerve AM 5.0?
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

hi guys,

anyone seen any of these about or even better, anyone own / ridden one? I’m thinking of upgrading from my anthem x3, as i fancy a bit more travel and these look sweet!

All the reviews seem to be of the nerve xc! The spec looks very good, but is it worth looking at the 7.0 for the Fox forks?

Or should i be looking elsewhere for similar money?

thanks,

warton
    Free Member

IMHO Canyons are unrivalled for price vs spec vs quality of build. Nothing comes close

spudly1979
    Free Member

thanks Warton – do you have one currently? I agree on the value, it looks stunning compared to other prices i’ve been quoted – £400 -500 cheaper for similar kit over say a lapierre.

tommmm
    Free Member

Yeah I’d appreciate some advice on these too. Would anyone with some experience of the bits on the 5, 6 and 7 mind giving their opinions on their comparative values?

CraziScot
    Free Member

There is a review of the Nerve AM7.0 in the coming issue of MBR (dropped through my door yesterday, silly early).

I also took delivery of a Nerve AM 8.0 last week…..

Firstly Canyon’s mail order service is spot on, regular email updates on shipping etc and well packaged, hilariously well packaged, took me a good 30 minutes just to get the bike unwrapped. Unfortunately on unpacking mine the rear QR was bent, even though it was encased in a big lump of wood which was acting as a spacer on the rear of the frame. No damage to the frame to be seen. I emailed the UK address the same night and had an email the following day telling me they would ship another out ASAP, due to arrive tomorrow, so again excellent UK customer support.

As to the build quality, the frame is very well put together with neat and tidy welds and linkage setup. All of the components worked perfectly on putting it all back together out of the box, all the instructions come in a big pack. Couldn’t really ask for more, put the wheels on, put the bars on, air in the forks and off you go.

It rides sweet, not had a chance to give it a proper blast but everything I’ve chucked it over locally it has just soaked up without complaint. No real bob with the pro pedal on 2 unless your really mashing the pedals.

I can’t really find fault with anything other than ordering blind without trying for size. Great bike for great money.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

how heavy is it CS? also, how does it climb?

lucien

I’ve just bought a Canyon Nerve XC frame & shock, with a 45% discount (2008) model and the comms has been awesome. Not had frame yet, sitting by the door as I type

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

lucien – where did you find that?!

lucien

In the “Outlet” section on their website – they are selling framesets (or were yesterday) and given that I’ve had to put my Epic in (again) for the rear shock service, I’ve paid £530 for a 120mm XC Frame, with a RP2 shock bargain-atastic

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

*toddles of with credit card*

lucien

Its here – I bought a large, and looks like XL only left…..Canyon Link

CraziScot
    Free Member

No idea on the weight jontydewolfe, its listed at 12.9Kg. Its certainly light, lighter than my old XC full sus.

As to climbing, I’ve not put it up anything silly steep or really technical yet but what I have put it up it just flows through. Champing at the bit for the weekend to get it out on some proper trails.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

cheers dude, looks nice like. just weighing up whether i need to go for AM or XC. hmmmmmmm

jakeypoppet
    Free Member

hi guys,
    i had my new nerve am 5 delivered a few days ago and have just been for a quick hack around after work.
    I would say it was about a grand cheaper than a similarly specced zesty.
    I agree that the service from canyon was very good and the bike was set up well, even the tyre logos line up with the valves. i think they even put the right amount of air in the shock for my weight.
    the first thing that i realised after the minimal set up is that this bike is damn heavy in comparison to my hardtail and quite a bit heavier than a stumpjumper fsr which i demo’d a while ago (when you could buy last years model for a similar price as the canyon).
    I’m struggling to figure out where the weight cmes from as it’s a light frame with slx compnonents and decent finishing kit. I can only assume that the weight is in the beast wheels and enourmous tyres. they look fairly bombproof though. this bike is clearly aimed to enter significantly beefier territory than, for example a stumpjumper.
    the build quality of the frame is very good indeed.
    after the first ride, i can say that the ride quality is also excellent, with the rear suspension outperforming the (already very good) revelations up front.
    the geometry is spot on with very sharp turning without feeling twitchy.
    my only complaint so far is that you are not able to change the spec like you would with buying a new bike from a regular shop (I wanted a drop seatpost for example). But if they did that then they’d prob have to charge the same as everyone else for a bike so well specced as this!
    overall i’m very impressed.
    I was very torn between the am 5 and the xc 5 (a fair bit cheaper with basically the same spec). I think if they sold the xc with a slightly longer travel fork then they’d be onto even more of a winner!
    potentailly a cheap pair of lighter xc wheels would turn the nerve AM into a fairly comfy all-dayer too, as it stands i would say it is perfect for thrashing any uk trail centre.

stanfree
    Free Member

I should be getting my Nerve Xc 5 on monday or tuesday and cant wait. After a lot of deliberation It was either this or a new Boardman F/S team . I hope I chose the right one . The service from Canyon has been good so far I must say , The outlet bikes dont seem very well discounted compared to a new bike.

tommmm
    Free Member

Would be interested to hear how you get on with it stanfree. As I said above, I’m trying to decide whether to get the xc5 or go for the 6 or 7, so would be particularly grateful for any comments on the forks, especially if you’ve ridden foxs or rebas for comparison. Enjoy!

system7
    Free Member

There’s a bit of a lead time on most Nerve XC’s – 3/4 weeks ish 🙁

lucien

My frame arrived Friday – hoping to build it up tomorrow………….can’t wait

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Nerve XC9 today. Was going to go for the 8, but was too tempted by the X0 groupset and the Mavic wheels.

Got a 5 week wait, but I don’t mind

beansy29
    Free Member

Hi all

Just thought I’d chip in as I took delivery of my Nerve XC5 last week and gave it a proper blast today – it was awesome! I’ve had hardtails until now so the rear suspension was a revelation.
    Delivery took just 5 days from ordering, and as others have said, it arrives really well packaged. I deliberated long and hard between the XC5 and AM5 and in the end it was the review in WMB, plus the difference in weight that made me go for the XC. At only 27lbs for an XL size, for the money it just floats!

jakeypoppet
    Free Member

hi all,
    following some good rides on my nerve am5 I can now say that the bike rides brilliantly. although it is fairly heavy (although not for the price) it climbs very well so haven’t noticed the weight out on the trail at all. the pro pedal works much better than i was expecting with hardly any bob when stamping on the pedals uphill. it’s given me scary amounts of confidence on the downs though…definitely need to purchase some knee pads soon me thinks!

redafro
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve been looking at the Nerve AM for a while now.. but as yet not read a review thats convinced me its the bike to get.. Yes the components are unbeatable but what about the fundamentals, ie how does the geometry feel in the real world, how does it climb, track, what does the grip feel like through the corners.. Any Feed back would be great!!

Also if any of you owners have demo’d other bike you can compaire it to.. Like the Zesty, Orange pro, Trek remedy, Scott Genius and what the difference might be that would be very helpful!

Cheers

dis0rientati0n
    Free Member

Chipping in my two pence – bought a Nerve AM 7 a few weeks ago. Really happy with it and especially fOr the price. Looking to put higher riser bars on it as I’m 6’2 and feel the front end is a bit low for me. Possibly because the front end is low I felt off balance on most of the jumps at Glentress at the weekend (not pretending that I’m any good normally). Going uphill I was easily clearing the rock gardens and felt super balanced on the log skinnies. Downhill I think the word is “plush”. I’m loving the Fox fork, switching it from 120mm for uphill to 150mm going back down. Once I sort out the height issue at the front, I think it will be all sweet.

dis0rientati0n
    Free Member

Just spotted redafro’s question:

Also if any of you owners have demo’d other bike you can compaire it to.. Like the Zesty, Orange pro, Trek remedy, Scott Genius and what the difference might be that would be very helpful!

Cheers

I tried the Zesty 214 and Orange Five Pro prior to buying the AM7. For obvious reasons, it feels similar to the Zesty, but the 214 was all over the place going uphill due to no lock out/pro pedal. The Orange felt really solid going downhill while the Canyon feels lighter it still inspires confidence. Maybe it’s just me but it feels as if you are sitting in the middle of the bike rather than hanging off the back. I’ll give you an update on the feel of the bike after my mini road trip of the Drumfries and Galloway trail centres in a couple of weeks.

stanfree
    Free Member

Got my Nerve Xc 5 delivered today and on first impressions it seems really good. It also came with a free shock pump , chainstay protector and Torq wrench . Its my first Full Suss so It will probably take a bit of getting used too , the Fox RP2 instructions are non existent so I had to google some pressures and to work out how to set sag etc.
    All in all seems a bargain for the money and lighter than my On One with Marz 44 forks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pictures then please guys.

stanfree
    Free Member

tommmm
    Free Member

What do people reckon then. Worth upgrading from the xc5 or just spend the extra cash on bits and bobbins?

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lux, very happy with it. I think the XC5 is unbeatable VFM. XC 6 and 7 are gradually better kit, depends what you want. £1500 for the 7 with a great Fox fork, you dont need much more in a bike.

tommmm
    Free Member

Yeah the 7 does look amazing. Think I might just get the 5 and use the extra cash to build up an inbred. I was just wondering if anyone who’d ridden any of the components would have been able to say how much better the ride on the 7 was likely to be. Particularly the differences between the forks.

karl1824
    Free Member

Anymore updates on the Canyon AM.
    Looking to buy a 2012 8.0x, or possibly Stumpy FSR elite 2011, in the sales, with some upgrades (dropper post).
    Cheers

karl1824
    Free Member

AM 8 looking even better now, exchange rate working in my favour for Canyon. Any further advise from owners of either bike.
    Is pedal bob an issue, even with pro pedal on?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Apologies for a slight hijack – of the thread resurrection: is there anyone in the lothians / borders area who could let me throw a leg over a medium (or a large)? In return for biscuits / beer obviously!

And any recent opinions obviously appreciated too.

stanfree
    Free Member

Couldashouldawoulda Im in East Lothian and can give you a shot of my Nerve XC 5 18.5″ If It helps.Was out for a night ride last night but the weather has turned fairly cack but can give you a shout when next out.

RocketTom
    Free Member

edit

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks Stanfree! That sounds ideal.

A spin up and down the driveway + kerb / or your sideroad would do it for me – and whenever that suits you. Its just a sizing Q really.

btw – I’m wondering if we’ve met before?

Oh – are you happy with it?

I’ll drop you a mail to organise.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Rocket Tom – you’re posting history suggests you have one too? What’s your opinion as an owner? If thats not too cheeky?

stanfree
    Free Member

Aye CSW Im pretty sure we both went on the TBC midweek rides a wee while back but Im crap at remembering who’s who. Send us an E mail , and we will sort something.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Stan- YGM

chiefP
    Free Member

I will give my review on the Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 SL over the weekend weather depending.

Its sat at home and im eager to get on it 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve AM 5.0?’ is closed to new replies.