Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • cantilevers – why do they still exist?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

PRC what are you on about?

I’d bet the legs on your average road fork have easily enough torsional stiffness to add a mount to. As for rotational mass…do you mean the force produced at the caliper? Ditto.

toys19
    Free Member

5lab, who are you? I’m a Crediton local.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I used to pour scorn on disks-on-the-road.

Then I started using them, and happily ate my words, never looked back.

OK you can set cantis up to work well, dual pivots with decent pads are blindingly good. But disks are just as good, plus:

1) disk pads last longer. I commute 5 days a week, and the same bike is my only transport everywhere else too. I’d go through a set of canti/dual pivot pads once a fortnight in winter, plus accelerated wear means forever winding the corroded cable stop out. All in my garage at minus 5, in the dark. I don’t miss that at all. This winter I used one set of disk pads.

2) I have neither the time nor inclination to wash my bike properly two or three times a day in winter. The most it will get is the contents of my water bottle dumped over it to wash the worst off. canti/dual pivot pads meant grubbing around in the black filth left behind, plus disk brakes suffer far fewer corrosion issues and no alignment issues. Corroded bolts/pivots/fixings on V’s and canti’s and dual pivots are a complete PITA and there are far more of them.

3) rims last a LOT longer. I’d go through a set or two a year.

4) predictable constant lever feel, wet/dry/whatever.

5) Excellent modulation with instant bite. Took me a while to stop grabbing a fistful of back brake hoping something would happen a la rim brakes. With disks, always there, and the excelelnt lever feels means uber power with no locked wheels.

6) Spares everywhere. Pads are cheap. Cables are std. Nowt to go wrong. Very easy to work on.

7) No fork judder when laden.

8) Adequate power when heavily laden.

9) Mud, ice, slush and snow cannot collect in places and lock the wheel.

I’m sure I could think of more.

aracer
    Free Member

Order of efficiency is:

Discs
    Vs
    Cantis
    Calipers
    That’s your analysis based on your extensive knowledge of engineering, elf? 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve never managed to endo on tarmac (though I’ve not tried that hard, and I can’t skid the front wheel either).

But the fact you could if you did try harder with standard cantis or calipers (at least I can on my bikes with those – maybe you’re just mechanically inept) proves that you wouldn’t stop faster with discs.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I can and have, with both discs and rim brakes, both inadvertantly and on purpose.

Its still irrelevant.

marka.
    Free Member

Urchinboy – Member

Canti fail. About 2mins 20 in…

http://www.vimeo.com/24699837

They look like road bikes to me, so more likely to be callipers, surely?

aracer
    Free Member

I can and have, with both discs and rim brakes, both inadvertantly and on purpose.

Its still irrelevant.
    It’s highly relevant given exaggerated claims about stopping faster with discs.

druidh
    Free Member

Only if you believe that the only point of comparison is just before the tyres lose traction. If that were the case, we’d still be running V-brakes on MTBs too as a proper set-up can also cause a tyre to skid.

Pieface

I am looking forward to replacing the v brakes on my commuter with discs, mainly because of the hassle free pad replacement – I know, I’m lazy but now I am used to discs and like the re-assurance of knowing the power is there if needed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s your analysis based on your extensive knowledge of engineering, elf?

No, it’s based on my experience of riding bicycles over 30 years, with all the aforementioned braking systems. I spose I cooduv included coaster, drum and rod brakes too, but I din’t think there was much point as they are truly crap.

I’m sure some boring engineering geek clever soul is going to come along and tell me how rong I am but I won’t be bothered because I will be safe in the knowledge that I am in fact right. 🙂

Pieface

where do hydraulic rim brakes come in that order, and why are they still popular with trials.riders?

aracer
    Free Member

Only if you believe that the only point of comparison is just before the tyres lose traction.

Not arguing anything about the tyres losing traction. However if you’re interested in best stopping distances, then the only point of comparison is ability to rolling endo. I can quite happily do that on a road bike with calipers, hence it would be impossible for a disc brake to stop me any faster. Unless of course you’re suggesting that disc brakes circumvent the normal laws of physics (they would join an illustrious line of bike components).

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    And your drum brakes aren’t heavier?

Sure they’re heavier and they are not as powerful as disks – which is why I only push them with tongue firmly in cheek.

However, they do have some advantages. I’ll now bore you with them 🙂

Reliable, no squealing, no rubbing (the wheel will keep spinning like a good track wheel), and with the weight at the centre of the wheel it’s not really noticeable. Like BB7s and cantis quality cables make a difference.

I think their main advantage is for self-supported solo endurance rides.

So why am I trying these odd brakes? My first Puffer was done on V-brakes and it almost wore out a rear rim (yeah, I know, don’t drag the brakes) so I changed to disks, and then in another Puffer I had to stop riding because I ran out of pads just before dawn and I had already lost a lot of time changing them previously (brain dead moron with sausage fingers in subzero in the wee sma’ hours).

I’ve done a muddy Puffer with drums f&r and at the end of it they were barely worn. I would probably have had to change my disk pads a couple of times in that race – time better spent riding or resting. They were on a par with V-brakes IMO. They were 70mm drums, but there’s now 90mm versions readily available, and they are much better for mtb use (still not disk power though).

(When you travel at my race pace, you can’t afford to lose time doing preventable repairs 🙂 )

aracer
    Free Member

No, it’s based on my experience of riding bicycles over 30 years, with all the aforementioned braking systems. I spose I cooduv included coaster, drum and rod brakes too

I’m (almost) impressed – you’ve actually ridden a bike with rod brakes?

Though can I just check what road bikes are included in your 30 year experience?

uplink
    Free Member

I agree, you can endo with rim brakes

But discs are far more capable at speed.
    From 30mph the disc is going to be way better until the speed gets down somewhat then the difference will narrow

wheelie

I have V brakes on my lovely nickel plated Tange Prestige bike, but then I don’t have one of those squishy forks either……..just lovely Columbus straight tapered..like the Independent fabrication ones.

I guess I am just a silly old bugger who just likes ragging it like everyone else and after 60 years of cycling just like things to be simple!

aracer
    Free Member

So you can endo with rim brakes, but you couldn’t endo with them at speed? 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    I agree, you can endo with rim brakes

From 30mph the disc is going to be way better until the speed gets down somewhat then the difference will narrowThis.

aracer
    Free Member

So you can’t endo when doing 30mph with a caliper, druidh?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m (almost) impressed – you’ve actually ridden a bike with rod brakes?
    Though can I just check what road bikes are included in your 30 year experience?

My first ‘non kids bike’ had rod brakes. I’ve ridden all sorts of ‘road’ bikes. With all manner of braking systems. I’m amused that you’re ‘impressed’; why, d’you not think I’ve much experience of riding bikes or something?

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘cantilevers – why do they still exist?’ is closed to new replies.