Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • cantilevers – why do they still exist?
  • charliedontsurf

Dia compe make drop levers for v’s. Great bit of kit.
    But Vs can over power the small contact patch of a road or cross tyre.
    Having said that, I use v’s or discs on my crossers and touring bikes.
    But I weigh a fair bit and have sensitive fingering powers when it comes to braking.
    Salsa Fargo with avid discs: one finger braking…. Nice

druidh
    Free Member

Have those that are anti-“disc brakes on a road bike” ever ridden such a beast? My experience is that I can stop much quicker – in any conditions – even on skinny 23mm tyres.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Another point about canti is that cantis which take post brake block have a large amount of mechanical advantage adjustment and the brake blocks have more meat on the than v brake which are pathetically thin.

I have a wicked old set of sun tour canti that lock up the wheel on my “touring” (old mtb) bike one fingerd, as good as bb7 in the dray and with more modulation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL Fred, I’ve disc-equipped road bikes for 5 years.

Oh and what druidh said – folk who are anti-disc-brake have never used them on road bikes for any length of time.

aP
    Free Member

Oh, I have a disc’d road bike, several calipered road bikes and canti braked bikes. They all do different things. If I want to ride long or high or fast I take one of the the caliper braked bikes, if I want to tow my bob yak or just tool to work I take the disc’d bike, if I want to do other stuff I ride one of the canti bikes. At some point they all overlap however they all do different jobs, and do them well and none of them fill all of those roles.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can I have your Bob Yak please I need it more than you you have a car.

aracer
    Free Member

I bet in 5-10 years discs will be on all touring/cx bikes

How much? Money where your mouth is, or you don’t really believe that.

aP
    Free Member

Buy me a pint and I might lend it to you. I still use it twice a month for shopping and hauling stuff – £20 of diesel in 3 months isn’t too bad I think?
    Oh, I’m at CW for the next month – I might be persuaded to let you buy me a pint one evening.

aracer
    Free Member

My experience is that I can stop much quicker – in any conditions – even on skinny 23mm tyres

My experience is that I can endo my caliper equipped road bike in any conditions, so I don’t see how a disc brake could possibly stop me any faster.

Have those pro disc brakes for road bikes ever ridden a road bike with decent caliper brakes?

druidh
    Free Member

Ultegra good enough?

crikey
    Free Member

druidh, when’s your LEJOG, I’ve forgotten…

I might come and throw money at you.

druidh
    Free Member

We start from Lands End on 17th 😯

http://www.justgiving.com/colin-cadden/

aracer
    Free Member

Ultegra good enough?

If you couldn’t endo with them in any conditions there must be something else wrong.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok but I’m not drinking in CW it’s full of bankers and the pubs are a bit crap really. Limehouse/Wapping or Greenwich for proper pubs and beer. Grapes in narrow St does a proper nice fish n chips, or there’s a couple of Meantime pubs in Greenwich for tasty nutritious locally brewed beer.

crikey
    Free Member

Hah! you’re actually coming to my town…

I may make a wee effort to see you along the way..

cynic-al
    Free Member

aracer £25 + inflation says disc brakes on all touring bikes over £400 (inflation linked) in 10 years.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’d want discs for this really I’d say:

Kevevs
    Free Member

they exist because all my work-mates bikes are old and I end up sorting them out cos I are The Designated Bike Guy despite not much knowledge!. So I end up begging for old shimano 7speed shite on classifieds! They are there to be fixed for normal boring people pon an old bike that don’t care!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Kev; I’ve got a bunch of old toot you can have, if you want? Only junk really but might be helpful to you.

crikey
    Free Member

aracer £25 + inflation says disc brakes on all touring bikes over £400 (inflation linked) in 10 years.

Now there’s a less than confident man….

I suspect we will see discs in pro cyclocross within 2 years; no need to change wheels when you can change bikes….

aracer
    Free Member

You’re on <virtual handshake>

Now all I have to rely on is STW forum archives working in 10 years time. Can’t believe you gave me that easy a win.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m hoping I’ll have better things to do than hang out on here by then 😛

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member

I suspect we will see discs in pro cyclocross within 2 yearsNext season?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m hoping I’ll have better things to do than hang out on here by then

Ah – I knew there had to be some other get out.

Kevevs
    Free Member

not helpful to me but I seem to end up sorting all sorts of knackered bikes out. Cantilever shmantilever, so long as it stops! Couldn’t sort one bike out just because of a bloody cantilever spring bit. but I got bits off here. It’s all cool, people start getting into bikes from the basics and a bit of enthusiasm eh! 🙂 you wanna see this GT mess I’m sorting out!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy for you to have my personal details.

crikey
    Free Member

Next season?

Hmmm, maybe.

Think there’s a Dura-Ace electro-hydro lever being built as we speak by some inscrutable chap…

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    Hah! you’re actually coming to my town…

I may make a wee effort to see you along the way..
    Missed this – which town?

crikey
    Free Member

It’ll be a surprise….. 😉

bikerbruce
    Free Member

cantis work fine…you dont need that great brakes for cross,if you have problems then change your set up,there nice and light and you can change wheels quickly .regarding uptake of disk in world level cross… a few germans and yanks will but not many
    Bruce

woodsman
    Free Member

MUDGUARDS – on wide rimmed touring bikes! This is why cantis are still used. Pauls components make the nicest.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s easy to fit mudguards – really, really wide ones if you must – with disc brakes.

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    …Oh and what druidh said – folk who are anti-disc-brake have never used them on road bikes for any length of time.

I can’t see the point for skinny tyres. Disks certainly work well, but they are heavier than cantis which also work well with skinny tyres if set up properly with good cables.

I’m using disks on my road bike, but then it’s got Big Apples which at 2.35″ can handle them.

and cantis on the cx bike – even though it has a disk mount on the front fork.

cynic-al
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    I can’t see the point for skinny tyres. Disks certainly work well, but they are heavier than cantis which also work well with skinny tyres if set up properly with good cables.

And your drum brakes aren’t heavier?

To me the benefits of discs on road bikes are clear – they are better than caliper brakes in dry (slightly) and wet (massively) IME. You can never have too much brake, especially when commuting.

I’ve never managed to endo on tarmac (though I’ve not tried that hard, and I can’t skid the front wheel either).

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

For road bikes certainly I think the problems with discs are the torsional force trying to twist the fork and the rotational mass of the rotor itself. Both mean that there is a weight/time penalty that is unlikely to be outweighed by a braking benefit.

The answer would be to fit tiny multi-piston calipers to both sides of the fork on very small rotors.

grum
    Free Member

I’m reasonably happy with Canti brakes on my Kaffenback in terms of power, but they make the fork judder in an unpleasant way, have I just set them up wrong?

5lab

so if the advantage of Cantis over Vs is mud clearance, why did every mountain biker flock to V’s when they came out? Surely mud clearance is more of an issue there than on touring bikes?

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Canti fail. About 2mins 20 in…

[video]http://vimeo.com/24699837[/video]

avdave2

why did every mountain biker[b] manufacturer[/b] flock to V’s when they came out?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Look at what you went over, Dude!

Yeah, I bunnyhopped that shit!

Yeah, with your head!

😆

Come on though. When v-brakes came out, it was like a revelation. Far, far easier to set up, and far, far more powerful.

If you’ve got little tiny girly hands, the more powerful the brakes, the better, cos you’re not squeezing so hard to slow down and stop. Vs and discs FTW. I would never ever go back to cantis, and tbh the caliper brakes on my road bike put me off riding it.

Order of efficiency is:

Discs
    Vs
    Cantis
    Calipers.

If roadies want to carry on using crappy little caliper brakes cos they’re all luddite heathens, then let ’em. I’m sure common sense will influence the market enough to see that tiny little discs appear on road bikes within the next few years. It’s a Logical Progression, y’know, bit like Evolution…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5clAkYEF5w[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘cantilevers – why do they still exist?’ is closed to new replies.