Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cannot add my Google Account to my phone, help!
  • Houns

Right, I’ll try and keep this to bullet points to stop me rambling on and going in to a rage! For info it’s a htc sensation

Picked up my phone yesterday from store as it had been back for some repairs

Setting phone up (had factory reset) I try to add my Google account under accounts and sync

Enter my username and password only for it to say “sorry your username and password do not match, please try again”

Of course I try again, and again

My username and password work on my laptop and iPad

I reset my phone and try again, no joy

I sign out of all other devices and try again

I change my password and try again, no joy, but works ok on laptop and iPad

On my phone i try the option to set up new Google account (to see if it’s a problem with Google) this works fine.

Try my original username and password again. Still doesn’t work

(just to note, a couple of times it did go far as the captcha code entering screen before yet again sayin details do not match)

What is going on??! I cannot get my phone to set up my Google account! Help!

IA

Got to settings, application settings (the list where you remove apps etc) then find the google account one in the complete list and clear the data.

If I had my android phone handy I’d tell you exact steps, but that’s the gist of it. If you can’t puzzle that out I’ll post in more detail later…

jota180
    Free Member

Have you tried it as IMAP rather than POP or vice versa??

Houns

Ok, just trying that, thanks

Houns

Yes have tried that (whilst speaking to htc)

Right, tried IA’s advice, now message saying “cannot establish a reliable data connection to the server”

Cougar

Try “@gmail.com” rather than “@googlemail.com”, or vice versa.

Is your APN set correctly?

Try it over WiFi.

Houns

Yep went through the apn with the guys at htc, tried both gmail and googlemail, tried both wifi and mobile network. Still no joy

druidh
    Free Member

What is your account name? I’m wondering if there is something odd about it – special characters like an underscore perhaps? Is there a language setting which is causing the keyboard to use the wrong characters?

Houns

Nope, account name is just my name, no odd characters in. That or password

stumpy01

Hmmmm. Probably not worth a go, but could you change your password on another device and then try logging in?
    Perhaps it will ‘reset’ something?

Houns

Done that too stumpy :0(

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i can’t remember the exact method, but this is something to do with having set up your google account with secondary log in details and you need to (from your computer) generate a single use password specific to the device… if you log into google in a browser and have a search around your account settings (or their help files), it’sa all in there somewhere.
    i had to do it when i upgraded my phone recently.

nealy
    Free Member

Try to clear the captcha using this link https://www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com/UnlockCaptcha

xherbivorex
    Free Member

go to your google account/settings and in “security”, i think it’s within 2-step verification….

Houns

Thought it may have been something to do with 2 step verification so i removed that. I also set up an application/device specific password, no joy. I revoked access and tried again, no joy. Just getting the “cannot establish a reliable data connection to the server” message

Looking at the Google forum/help pages, not being a great help as of yet

Houns
    Pieface

If you’ve changed your password on your laptop / elsewhere you’ll need to restore factory settings on your phone IIRC, which is one of the biggest oversites I’ve seen.

If you were running an MSN mail app on the phone I’d understand, but this is the ‘Partner’ email account of the platform. Absolutely useless.

Houns

I’ve reset it after every password change 🙁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

pieface, i changed my google password after it got compromised and i didn’t have to do a factory reset, but the 2 step verification thing was definitely causing my issues setting up my new phone and i eventually got it working, just can’t remember exactly how!

portlyone

I think you’ve got to the stage where a good, swift kicking of the phone is the only solution.

Houns

Blimey!!

After hours of trying I think I’ve finally done it!

Turned phone off, took sim and sd card out, factory reset, set up and connected via wifi, added Google account, turned off, put sim and sd card back in…

IT WORKS!!!

Houns

Thanks for help folks, finding that link above really helped

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just by a ****’ iPhone… 😆

Cougar

Madness. Glad you got it sorted.

Cougar

Seems a common cause is incorrect time and date / time zone settings. Useful to know, anyway.

Houns

people have had this problem on iphones too :finger:

Mbnut
    Free Member

I am a complete technophob and have had the “cannot establish a reliable data connection to the server” for a couple of years on my galaxy S….. going to try and fix it now so fingers crossed….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cannot add my Google Account to my phone, help!’ is closed to new replies.