• This topic has 60 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by st.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Cannock any good? Or someone want to reccomend me something else….
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

climachx is good fun – fair bit of forest road climbing but good amount of singletrack as well, it’s generally fairly steady going, building up nicely to the craziness of the last couple of miles. 🙂

well worth doing if you haven’t before, and a damn sight nearer to you than cannock! i’d definitely go for climachx, i wish i could join you!

franki
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines isn’t as good as Cannock in my opinion and again, is best ridden with local knowledge.

I wouldn’t rule Cannock out, providing you can meet up with someone who can put together a decent loop, taking in some secret singletrack. Alternatively, wait until Phase 2 of FTD is open and you should have enough waymarked trail to make the trip worthwhile to ride on your own.

Try Nant Yr Arian for sure, if you’ve not been before. It’s superb.

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh yeah, good shout on nant as well – we were based there for a week, that’s when i went up to climachx for one of the days.

nant’s quality, three routes from 9km to 35km and you can customise and combine different sections easily. well worth nipping down there.

takisawa2

Cannock…permit…!!!
    Forget Hednesford, Tackeroo…thats the place.
    Rumours, no permits as far as I know.

Not mentioned much but Cannock is now £3 to park.
    If your a regular join the Chase Trails club for £12 & you can get a years free parking for an extra £15.
    Got to be worth it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you’re a regular join the Chase Trails club for £12 & you can get a year’s free parking for an extra £15.

Or park ’round the corner and ride the 4 mins to your start point.
    Not as secure perhaps, but one way of doing it.

I’d not begrudge the Forestry Commission the occational, £3 truth be known.
    Tim

Drillski
    Free Member

Ti29er
    and you risk having your bike confiscated and crushed if caught!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Why?

Drillski
    Free Member

trail police
    undercover

Ti29er
    Free Member

So?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

If i can get the cannock guy to show me a route there I think I’m gonna do that. If not gonna assess my wales options and the guy from the peak as well! cheers

Ti29er
    Free Member

Why?
    Ride the Red Route (Follow the Dog). It’s well marked and there’s plenty on Youtube to have a look at if you want more info.
    The café, Swinnertons etc sell maps and so if you don’t fancy a 2nd lap after a bacon sarnie & a mug of tea at the café (and why wouldn’t you!?)then head out on any of the other routes on the map.
    You don’t need someone to hold your hand!
    Tim

Telemaster18
    Free Member

No I don’t need someone to hold my hand thankyou. But local knowledge will always win over guessing a route. A lot of people are saying the dog is rubbish so don’t wanna go and waste my time so I thought someone knowing a decent route will be much more enjoyable and passing on knowledge to fellow bikers.

emac65
    Free Member

There aint no map that shows the best stuff on the Chase,that’s a fact…. 8)

Telemaster18
    Free Member

takisawa2 you get my message? you free tomorrow?

ilikebikes
    Free Member

If you like twisty singletrack ‘follow the dog’ is not rubbish, it’s fun. The main downside is that it is eroded in a few places which spoils the flow a little bit.
    But if you are going to Cannock I would do the trail,( take the left at the top of the fire road climb which only adds on a mile but it’s a good mile) then do some of the other stuff which is all over the place. The guys in Swinnerton are a good bunch who I am sure would give you some tips.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Cheers mate, We’ll give that a go then.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

cannock is an excellent place to ride. Go over to an area called sherbrook valley and ride around you will soon come across a few trails and there nearly always connected to another and as above the lads at swinnos are a nice bunch and will generally point you in the right direction

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Is this reachable from the main car park? via the “dog” route? Or is somewhere you’ll start from?

Ti29er
    Free Member

I think you have enough info here.
    Go and ride the Dog, it’s fun.
    You don’t need a guide.
    Park up in the main car park by the café (can’t recall its name as there is more than one car park)
    Start at Swinnertons & ride the Dog (maybe 1hr if it’s busy or your mate is not fit), and if you don’t fancy a 2nd lap (got to do a 2nd lap, for sure!) then buy a map from Swinnertons and get some simple, useful pointers from the guys in the shop.
    Now go and ride your bike!
    😀

ilikebikes
    Free Member

Birches valley car park is the one for Follow the dog.

st

There are no permits required to ride on the Chase.

Follow the Dog is a single 7 mile loop in a relatively flat part of the Chase (which isn’t mountainous at the best of times). One of the reasons for building Follow the Dog was to ensure that new visitors to the Chase who couldn’t find any of the off piste stuff could at least get a ride in before going home. We don’t make claim that it’s a trail to rival the best trail centres in the UK, it’s a good, fun intermediate trail that rewards better riders who can maintain a higher pace through the twistier sections.

Phase 2 once opened later this year will certainly add to the experience and there are miles of great cheeky singletrack.

It’s worth a trip if you’re within an hour or so or en route to somewhere further afield and want a stop off.

Stu
    http://www.chasetrails.co.uk

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Cannock any good? Or someone want to reccomend me something else….’ is closed to new replies.