Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cane creek double barrel – is it worth it ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

I have a Fox float RL on my Transition Covert which is fine for XC stuff, but I have to pump it up to 230 psi (Im a fat 90kg in the bathroom). For the more jumpy stuff its perhaps at its limit.

The high pressure means the rebound does not work as well as it would on lower pressures. Im now noticing this.

In the real world will I notice the difference if I shell out for a Cane Creek double barrel – which I assume will work properly. Alos how much more does it weigh ?

nickf
    Free Member

Yes – they’re ace. Well worth the money. Given your weight (same as me), you’ll not notice the additional 500g. At least, I didn’t.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have a CCDB on my Covert.

It’s an awesome shock. The amount of adjustment means if you spend time with it you can get it to feel pretty much however you like, if you get one from tftuned it’ll be set up for your frame too (like mine was) which gives you a good starting point.

You’re right though, it is heavy, I was surprised how heavy compared to an old ti coiled dhx5. I also had a Monarch Plus on the Covert for a short whlie, if I was shock shopping again I would probably keep the Monarch as the CCDB is rather overkill unless you are doing a lot of long dh runs.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Yes definitely worth it, swapped out a pushed rp23 for one on a 5 and the difference is night and day. It’s better all round, not just on the descents.

Trimix
    Free Member

Is it really 500g then ?

I can always take that out of my camel back to be honest 🙂 Or go on a diet.

I will have to look into the Monarch Plus, not heard about that one. I assume you need to pick the right spring rate first though, or do they let you swop to get it right.

creamegg
    Free Member

The only time you notice the weight is when you hold it in your hand before fitting it. Once on the bike, it more than makes up for the added weight. I find it a lot easier on climbs that it ever was on my RP23, and once its set up you dont have to fiddle about with the pro-pedal. Downhill it speaks for itself. I kept my RP23 incase id want to swp it back for long XC rides but I much prefer the CCDB for everything. If you can sell your current shock its not that much of an expensive upgrade when you compare it to other stuff you spend on mountain biking kit.

messiah
    Free Member

Loads of opinion on this site about CCDB’s.

Here is something I wrote a few months back…

I run either a CCDB or a TFT tuned and Pushed Float R. The Float was hopeless when I first fitted it but now it’s tuned it is a great shock. I used to have a coil DHX4 which I ran almost all the time rather than the poorly performing Float. I fiddled plenty with the Float and DHX before sending the Float to TFT, it took two goes to get the Float how I wanted it and rather then do the same with the DHX I decided to try the CCDB so I can have a right good fiddle myself.

Mostly I run the tuned Float now which I think is amazing and out-performs the non tuned DHX4 Coil… seriously… it is that good!

The CCDB is better again. I’m still setting it up and trying different things but there are times with the CCDB when it feels absolutely amazing like it’s giving you speed on the pedal strokes on climbs, or when riding the back wheel (manualling) at speed through rough stuff it’s like it’s supporting the whole bike holding it up with a big plush hand.
    As I mentioned before there are also times when it feels a little dead like it needs a thump to get the oil flowing and work it’s magic… as a general rule the harder I’m working it the better it feels. When going from a flat path to a little rock off the trail to get a little “pop jump” the CCDB feels lethargic and won’t play… it’s like its saying “what the F*&^ is that???”… a similar rock on a rough path at speed the CCDB will lap up and give me all the pop I want in a super controlled way.

But… back out the adjusters too far or get silly with them and bike is nigh on unrideable… shows you just how good most shocks are… very very amusing.

If you want fit and forget great performance get a tuned shock. If you want to take it to another level and are happy to fiddle and consider playing with your suspension part of the fun then the CCDB is a great toy.

I like the CCDB but it needs gnar to really shine. My main reason for buying it was to fiddle so I can work out what LSC/HSC/LSR/HSR are and what they feel like… it is a very user customisable shock which is either a good thing or a bad thing? It’s possible to make a right pigs ear of it and small changes can have a surprisingly large effect. One friend who has tried mine prefered the tuned Float. I’ve since tweaked the CCDB settings a bit and I’m happier with it but he might not like it. Weight wise it’s a lump… there is a whole thread dedicated to the Ti spring debate… but if your concerned about weight I would buy an air shock or get your one tuned… seriously, tuning your air shock will probably make a huge difference, and it’s cheaper and lighter!
    You can try tuning it yourself with the air spacer kits… or pick up the phone and speak to one of the tuning professionals about what you dislike about what you have, they are all very helpful.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have a Fox float RL on my Transition Covert which is fine for XC stuff, but I have to pump it up to 230 psi (Im a fat 90kg in the bathroom). For the more jumpy stuff its perhaps at its limit.

I’m 95kg not including any kit and only run arround 180psi in my pitch, same travel and shock stroke IIRC, are you sure you’re not running too little sag which would equaly ruin the ride?

scud
    Free Member

Bit of a highjack this, but i’ve bought an old SC Heckler frame for a trip to the Alps (normally riding 29er hardtail).

I’m about 16.5 stone in full face and body armour and have wondered if a Fox/ Rockshox coil shock (can’t afford CCDB really) would greatly benefit it in the Alps. I always found that with previous RP2 and RP23 on other full sus frames that I had such a high pressure in the shock that it was far from effective, so switched to riding 29er hardtail instead.

Do you think that it would a great deal of difference?

mikey74
    Free Member

What size do you need? I have a 200 x 57 Elka Stage 5 coil for sale, for around £300 o.n.o., only a couple of months old.

In terms of performance it’s right up there with the CCDB.

E-mail: mikek@skylinecad.plus.com

nickf
    Free Member

Scud – CCDb’s great, but a basic Van R with the appropriate spring would offer 80-90% at much less cost. Hugely better than an air shock at your weight, and just plain better in the Alps anyway.

scud
    Free Member

Hi Mikey, sorry still a bit rich for me, trying to build a full sus on the cheap for an Alps trip.

Unfortunately after i get home from there i’m moving to Norfolk where my hardtail will be all i’ll need really and I find that i’m happy on the hardtail on trips to Wales etc.

Thanks for the offer though.

scud
    Free Member

As some one who has never run a coil shock before, any idea what size spring you need for a 200 X 57 coil shock, I can then keep an eye for cheap ti springs.

Trimix
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, I needed over 200 psi to stop it bottoming when messing about at Chicksands the other week – for trail duty I could run lower, but not much.

mikey74, I dont actually know what size I do need or what spring rate yet.

messiah, thanks for all the info, very informative.

I will have a look at prices and stuff and perhaps speak to some tuners as well.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Just go push’d van RC (big hit specific bottom out bumper) if you want awesome or custom tuned van RC and spend the change on a ti spring.

messiah
    Free Member

Just go push’d van RC (big hit specific bottom out bumper) if you want awesome or custom tuned van RC and spend the change on a ti spring.

This is good advice, but I’d get the air shock sorted first as it might be all you need.

Trimix
    Free Member

I did hear from Loco that its hard to get the rebound right with high psi on the fox. I will give him a call later and see what he says.

But I do fancy treating myself, just want to make sure its money well spent.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I needed over 200 psi to stop it bottoming when messing about at Chicksands the other week – for trail duty I could run lower, but not much.

Try a lower volume air can, the one on the pitch is the low one and I struggle to bottom it out even on fast tracks.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the CCDB and wouldn’t ever sell mine, but at the moment, the BOS Vip’r I’m running is almost as good in terms of control and a lot lighter. It is a very different unit to the CCDB; it doesn’t have the same user adjustment(which might be a good thing) as the CCDB and the rebound damping isn’t as good, but overall in terms of compression damping, it’s fantastic, especially when used with a BOS fork.

I’m 100kg and my bike has roughly the same compression ratio as yours (it’s a 2.25″ stroke to 6″ of travel); I can’t get along with the RP23 for the same reasons you describe; either the spring rate/compression rate was right for sag and the shock was too soft or else the spring rate was right and the bike was sat too high in its travel.

Trimix
    Free Member

geetee1972 – that describes it well, cheers.

But Im trying to convince myself to spend some of my bonus on bike bits, your all telling me to tune my fox first or buy something cheaper – its not helping 🙂

Your all supposed to say – “yes”, spend spend spend and become a riding god.

(remember new bits make you ride 5% faster)

scud
    Free Member

For me, I am happy riding a hardtail most of the time, but after 3 days in the Alps this year, I know that this year we have 7 days out there and i’m remembering all those braking bumps! Would be nice to be able to feel my forearms and upper legs after the first few days.

messiah
    Free Member

Shiney things and chairlifts 😛

My Floar R rear shock blew through the travel and I had to increase the pressure and run less sag to compensate. It is a high volume shock so I packed out the second chamber with some plastic which improved things. I then sent it to TFT who listened to my comments and tuned it for me, they suggested I go for the Push gubbins due to my description of my riding.
    My custom Push Float R is now good… but not as good as the VIPr I demo’d… but there was not much in it.

I planned to run the Float R and only bung the CCDB on if I am doing silly stuff… but the CCDB has now been on for 6 months as the weight doesn’t bother me and I’m enjoying tweaking it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cane creek double barrel – is it worth it ?’ is closed to new replies.