Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Can you recommend me some Jeans
  • freddyg
    Free Member

In the great STW tradition of not-being-arsed-to-actually-go-out-and-look-for-myself, I come to ask for your recommendations for a pair of jeans.

It is almost 10 years since I last bought a pair – and at the time, my brand of choice was Paul Smith. Nice quality denim, good cut, but quite expensive. At the time, £80 for a pair of jeans was outrageously decadent. I have absolutely no idea about what is currently available.

So, I throw myself at the mercy of the STW fashionistas. What Jeans for a 42 year old chap?

Points to note:
    I'm not particularly fashionable, but not entirely dull/dead yet (read M&S)
    I have a "normal" haircut (not one of these frizzy, wonky covered in wax jobbies), cropped short but not quite a #4
    When I go out for a relaxed evening, I wear jeans and a nice casual shirt (Karen Millen/DKNY/Paul Smith etc)
    I was not a fan (last time I went shopping for myself, many years ago) of Top Man, Burton's etc.
    I do not want to look like a teenager.

Do your worst! Ta.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Diesel or stick with PS.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Levi 501s, excellent value if you buy one of the standard washes, a timeless classic.

freddyg
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

I never got on with 501's – I found the cut a bit odd, I preferred Silver Tabs (not sure if they still exist).

But yes, standard wash is preferrable.

Diesel. Hmmm. Aren't they a bit, umm, 'trendy'? Although, I like their shoes…

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

White Stuff (online, they have a few shops and are stocked in John Lewis as well) and Fat Face (also online, own shops and John Lewis) have some nice jeans for reasonable money (£45 or so).
    Have you SEEN Howies! OWBLUDDYMUCH?

freddyg
    Free Member

I haven't bought Howies stuff since before they were bought out. I really liked their Merino base and jumper-thingy.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Some Diesel gear has fashion victim written all over it, but they also do some classic styles. Go to somewhere like Selfridfes and you'll find so many different styles, and grades of denim you can't fail to be happy.

Loads of people I know where them including a very respectable CFO in his mid 40's (he wears them on dress down days to work).

cynic-al
    Free Member

TKMaxx FTW!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Diesel jeans are ace. Don't bother with evisu! I bought one pair after believing the hype. Pffft no better than other brands imho.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Have you SEEN Howies! OWBLUDDYMUCH?

i buy my howies stuff in their sales, think my last set of jeans cost me about £30.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

yeah if you want cheap jeans don't buy diesel….. the nicest ones made out of Italian denim will set you back £130.

freddyg
    Free Member

There's a Diesel shop in Nottingham – I'll go and have a look. Ta.

Cynic-al – sorry, I haven't got the patience for TXMax. I'm one of those shoppers who goes on a mission. In, target acquired, out. Possible stop for lunch in a nice little cafe.

The concept of 'browsing' is not one I find particularly pleasant (I have two kids under 4 years old too). Hence trying to arm myself with as mutch info as poss in advance.

Thanks all.

freddyg
    Free Member

Yeti – I don't mind paying if they're going to last. My last Paul Smiths did 10 years.

rossrobot
    Free Member

If you have one near by UNI-QLO do amazingly good, plain, and well made jeans for about £15-£20.
    Otherwise Levi's are best IMHO. 504 are pretty normal i think.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Matalan, there about £10 per pair or 'branded' (if your 'sad' enough to care about brands) jeans are around £20.

IamSam
    Free Member

Alpkit jeanius

normally trash my jeans with in six months but have had a pair of there originals for nearly two years now…. there great and nearly technical clothing as well

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I sound like a rep but they do last. I've several pairs, a couple that must be 6 years old +, don't look after them particularly well, wash and fix bikes whilst wearing them etc. Go for a dark colour and they slowly work their way towards being stonewashed….

Some of you guys clearly wouldn't know style if it punched you in the face!

Matalan and DKNY… that'd be a good look!

miketually
    Free Member

I'm wearing some Howies jeans right now. I even paid full price for them.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Some of the cheaper Deisal jeans have a nice cut and more classy design. I prefer them to Levis.

Carhaart nice too but some are baggy.

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you have one near by UNI-QLO do amazingly good, plain, and well made jeans for about £15-£20

I like Uni-Qlo but not a single pair of their Jeans, even the relaxed fit get over my cyclists thighs.

I've just bought some Howies jeans and at the fourth time of asking I've found a pair that actually fits ok, quite high waisted though.

Best Jeans I've bought in recent years for longevity and quality have been Energie jeans – fantastic denim.

Diesel very good too.

I'd swerve Fat Face – not greatly impressed with their stuff.

sputnik
    Free Member

I have to disagree with Bimbler.
    Fat Face jeans are lovely. Nice soft denim an a good choice of designs.
    Roughly £60 a pair, but usually buy mine when they have their 1/2 price sale.
    Oh, and I am 40 years old with a normal haircut 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I've never understood the point in spending much cash on jeans though I'll only buy ones that have names I know – Wrangler or Levi; I just go to the discount clothing stores on Oxford St and see what's available – £25 seems about right. As long as they look OK when I try them on they that's fine by me. I once had a pair of 501s when I thought these things mattered but my thighs became too big for them once I got into exercise.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I once had a pair of 501s when I thought these things mattered but my thighs became too big for them once I got into exercise.

The trick with 501s it to size up, I'm a 34" waist and wear a 36" 501.

freddyg
    Free Member

The trick with 501s it to size up, I'm a 34" waist and wear a 36" 501.

But don't they then tend to do that awful hanging-round-the-arse thing?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But don't they then tend to do that awful hanging-round-the-arse thing?

Not on me, 501s have a low rise which I guess prevents this.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Recently got a pair of Hurley jeans, that are non-offensive go well with a shirt etc.. and pretty comfortable.

freddyg
    Free Member

Right then.

I've just had a look at the Diesel website – the choice is bewildering. I gave up as most of the ones I looked at seem to be too trendy for me.

I wandered over to the Paul Smith site and found a pair I like..

Anyone want to buy a kidney? One careful owner.

Mudshark – I'm kind-of with you on that…. My last 2x pairs of Paul Smiths were just sooo much more comfortable than others I tried at the time. Plus they lasted about 10 years which, in my mind, renders them quite cheap.

callous
    Free Member

duffer of st george White Label – hard wearing and well made and at £80 won't break the bank

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

501's. I buy then secondhand. They are tight in the thighs for cyclists, but they stretch out after an hour or so – I haven't bought new jeans in years.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I wear Lee jeans.

They look good and cost little.

cb

Google Teds Shed for outlet price Ted Baker jeans

pjt201
    Free Member

i only really wear howies jeans now. i either buy them in the sale (got a pair of selvedge drovers for £30 in the last sample sale – normal price £160!) or i get a 15% discount in there anyway through my job.

nageeknitram
    Free Member

Hugo Boss – not too skinny, not too baggy, decent cut, last for ages and get better wth age – also very discreet badges which i prefer.

Last pair I had were £85, but you can get cheaper or more expensive ones

Pieface

I bought 501s recently and they're a bit tight round the thighs. 506's are a much more relaxed cut all round

traildog
    Free Member

Go into a shop. You cannot buy jeans over the internet as fit is what's important. I'd say look at Diesel as the cut is really good and there is loads of choice. If you like Paul Smith though and they fit you well then just go for that. Be prepared to pay though, quality doesn't come cheap.

Ewok
    Free Member

Levis 503 "loose" (when compared to the drainpipe in a condom look of some of their "normal" jeans).

Second pair and probably wont buy any other style, just different colours.

freddyg
    Free Member

traildog – Member

Go into a shop.

I fully intend to. I just want to minimise the amount of time spent in the aforementioned establishments. I find shopping grim at the best of times. Even more-so if it's clothes shopping.

From what I've seen by browsing the on-line product lists of some mentioned above – I may end up going back to Paul Smith. The price has doubled in the last 10 years though.

Ewok – I quite like the look the the 503's. I'll see if I can find any. Thanks!

specky4eyes
    Free Member

George at Asda, £3.00. Why pay more?

llamafarmer
    Free Member

You can't go far wrong with Levis, you just have to find the cut that suits you best. I don't think there's a shortcut to finding the right jeans, you have to suck it up and try on loads of styles and sizes.

I like the slightly faded/worn look jeans like these more than the strong, plain colours. They work with lots of different looks 😀

traildog
    Free Member

You are looking at the Red Ear jeans though which cost more than their 'normal' jeans. You should be able to get a pair of Paul Smith Jeans for around 100-120 pounds.

I know what you mean about shopping. If you can find a helpful shop assistant then it's often not so bad. Often find the young staff in trendy shops which you fear venturing in quite helpful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Can you recommend me some Jeans’ is closed to new replies.