Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Can you haggle at Comet/Currys etc?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Damaged our LCD tv recently and are claiming on the insurance, gonna end up getting a cheque or vouchers. With the economy like it is and sales of big luxury goods well down, do you think we could haggle a couple of hundred quid off a grands worth of TV at the above stores? Anyone ever done anything similar?

sq225917
    Free Member

yup, you can haggle anywhere, it’s a recession don’t you know.

fubar
    Free Member

Comet have price matched (Richer Sounds) for me…think you need to find it in store locally though

IA

Any dixons group place will pricematch anything you find, even online if it’s in stock and the same model etc. Bring a printout with you and haggle with the person at the till etc.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Comet would only price match shops within a 5 mile radius with the goods in stock when I tried in January. So I went home and bought my Tv on line for £300 delivered compared to Comets £350. The bloke in Comet was also really arsy about it as well.

fubar
    Free Member

just found the links….
    Comet price match within 10 miles…price match

Currys price match looks useful too – currys

robyzf1
    Free Member

you can haggle almost anywhere these days. The sales guys in the big chain stores tend to get a bit arsey with it, but I quite enjoy the sport!

They don’t tend to like price matching websites other than their own.

Appreciate they won’t match the best price you find on the net, understand that you can have your product there and then and not have to wait for delivery and haggle away!

spooky_b329

Check the reserve and collect services on website…you get the online price and pick it up and pay instore. If you’re not sure which TV you want, you can reserve several 🙂

I bought some PC speakers and got about £25 off using reserve and collect 🙂

crazy-legs

I haggled a fair bit off the price of my laptop when I got it – wasn’t even planning on buying from Curry’s but was just window shopping and saw the model/spec I’d been looking at online. The deal I finally got was nearly as good as I’d have got online and I picked it all up there and then.

Just be nice about it, don’t barge in and demand a discount, that’s why sales staff get arsey.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ll haggle in most places TBH [not tried the pub yet 🙂 ]
    As long as the people doing the selling have some authority to do so, it can be worth the effort – Currys, Comet etc are usually good for 5-10%

Gary_M
    Free Member

I always haggle, does my wifes head in and she usually walks away from embarrasment. Find the best price on the internet, ask them to match it, if they won’t then walk away. comet, kwik-fit, etc are all fair game.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why the hell not, get them to throw in 5 year warranties for nowt or a DVD player or a Home Cinema System.

IF they say no, walk away and go to another store

white101

3 years ago I went down to my local Comet/Currys retail park jobby and checked out the latest in LCD tv’s. We spotted the one we quite fancied , checked out the spec and went home to order it online and have it delivered to the house 2 days later from the Currys I had been in. Woo Hoo big win for me saved £250 on tv and stand + free delivery.

12 months later TV was going for £300 quid less than what I paid for it. Not so woo hoo now.

I think now is the perfect time for haggling in most marketplaces, my customers think they can haggle with me over my products and frankly my targets say they can haggle all day as long as I sell!

bassspine
    Free Member

go on then, haggle in Tesco!

uplink
    Free Member

Done it in Asda

I got one of the supervisors to mark down a case of beer because the carton was damaged
    Just got the girl on the check-out to call her over & asked

bassspine
    Free Member

uplink: respect!

konabunny
    Free Member

aye, there’s nowt wrong with haggling. it duzznt raise an eyebrow most of the time when you ask. car and hotel hire, electronics…

fennerhorne
    Free Member

I offered them my old lady in Comet, but sensibly they declined. I always find haggling in Asda goes down well, especially if you have a queue behind you

iamtheresurrection

I’ve managed it at Comet too.. Last one was 10% off a new TV (it was already a good price). I went in 30 minutes before closing on a Sunday afternoon and asked the manager if a last minute grand would help the week’s numbers for him. Didn’t take him long to say yes (all of 20 seconds).

It ended up £50 cheaper than pricerunner or google could find.

vinnyeh

Piece of advice, and probably commonsense obvious- don’t let them know it’s insurance replacement til you pay (I guess you’ll get one of those plastic preloaded cards) cos a) a lot of the time you won’t be able to threaten to go to another chain cos it’ll be restricted to one ie the card’ll be comet branded,
    and b) cos the insurance company will only be going to pay a heavily discounted price for the credit on the card, so the price of the tv will effectively already be discounted as far as the store is concerned.

If you’re not getting anywhere with a cash discount, you may be able to get accessories or warranties thrown in more easily.

Good luck, it can be fun haggling but you’ve got to hold your nerve and actually expect something to really get anywhere- a halfhearted attempt will just get you fobbed off or given a dusty pack of blank c90 cassettes.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

you can’t haggle in car showrooms at the moment, they’re being sooo tight it’s unbelievable!

managed to get £400 off a £9000 car! I’d normally be able to get at least a grand discount.

woffle
    Free Member

I’d give it a go – have done in the past for pretty much all our white goods and tv – managed to play Richer Sounds down to an extra £50 discount and free wall mounts as they’ve got a Dixons and Currys just down the road and I threatened to wander down there instead. Sounds obvious but you’re better off going at a quieter time where they’re just standing about waiting rather than having customers queueing up

I do the same for hotels etc – offer to pay cash too – not so much in the big retailers but the local and independent shops (clothes especially) will usually do a 10-15% discount if you ask…

zaskar
    Free Member

Haggle at Tesco and Asda? for groceries too? ;O)

What about bikes?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

a halfhearted attempt will just get you fobbed off or given a dusty pack of blank c90 cassettes.

LOL! 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

you can’t haggle in car showrooms at the moment, they’re being sooo tight it’s unbelievable!

You are joking right, at the moment they’re having trouble giving cars away.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

You are joking right, at the moment they’re having trouble giving cars away.

I wish I was! Two different dealerships, first ones were totally taking the pi$$. Second ones weren’t as bad so we bought from there.

We wanted £1000 off the screen price of the first one, a 2008 Astra Sport £9995 and they offered £250 maximum and we HAD to pay an admin fee to buy the car… Jokers.

amosridl
    Free Member

Totally agree Rooley,

We bought a car today and after a week of trying we found that they weren’t giving anything. Some dealers said straight out “that’s the price take it or leave it” and wouldn’t enter into any haggling.
    Maybe their hacked off at folks expecting knock down prices but I’m not so sure. One friend of a friend salesman reckoned he’s having record sales month on month.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I’ve seen people asking for a discount in charity shops! That takes some brass neck.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Problem is that asking for a discount in places that are already struggling to survive selling stuff at full price creates a catch 22 situation. Does the dealer make the sale at a knock down price to make 10% (out of which they have to pay wages and bills) or do they say no to avoid losing the extra money? I can’t stand people who haggle in my shop, especially the ones who try to haggle on a cheap bike…. they don’t seem to understand that by the time the bike has been made ready to ride and a first free service has been taken, wages paid, shop paid for etc that from a £300 bike we are lucky to break even. I never really haggle anywhere unless I am a regular customer and known to the staff. I prefer to buy from either the cheapest place anyway or the place I get the best service

NZCol

Guilliano – would you rather have the price + 10% paid off your business loan/overdraft or the dead money sitting in your warehouse/car yard/shop floor ?

dr_adams
    Free Member

agree with curries and comet, moneysaving expert website talks about it, normally trick is to ask for a warranty as this gives them some commission they can bring into the bargin and you have like 14 days to cancel the warranty afterwards

Guilliano
    Free Member

NZCol….. it would depend on how long I’d had the stock. If it’s a fast moving line and only had it a week I’d hang on to it. If it’s been sitting in the showroom for ages then I’d consider an offer

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Can you haggle at Comet/Currys etc?’ is closed to new replies.