Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Can you boost the signal of a sky router?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s never really worked at the far end of the house, is there anything I can get to boost that routers signal? Don’t think a new routers possible as I presume you have to be using the sky one (I have no idea re the last statement)?

dashed
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got same situation and bought a netgear booster thingy – plugs into the wall in the back of the house and relays the wireless signal. There are also plug in things that use your mains wiring to get a signal elsewhere in the house… Someone a bit more IT savvy will be along shortly to fill in the blanks!!

patentlywill
    Free Member

Homeplugs may be what you need – if the router has an ethernet connection out. The Homeplug uses mains wiring to extend the signal, and apparently is better than a Netgear type wifi extender as that decreases speed/bandwidth as it uses wifi both to receive and re-broadcast (but I may just be lapping up Homeplug propoganda..)

jarvo
    Free Member

Spot on … I’ve got a Sky Router (as they make it awkward to use a different router). The wifi signal isn’t brilliant. Therefore I use two Homeplugs to extend the signal.

Homeplug is a name for the consortium of “network over power” adapter manufacturers, such as Netgear, Belkin, Devolo etc.

Mine connects via ethernet into the back of the router, into the homeplug which is connected to a mains socket.

The other one is at the other end of the house, and offers 3 ethernet sockets, and also pipes out Wifi-N signal. The wifi signal is a different network name, just for simplicity.

I would strongly advise changing the security password via the software console. They are supposed to stop their broadcast at the main switchbox … however I managed to pick up my neighbours homeplugs!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Can you boost the signal of a sky router?’ is closed to new replies.