Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can stans sealant be used in inner tubes?
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

Hi,

can you use Stans in a tube the way you woudl use slime?

Is it better or worse in a tube? search seesm to suggest stans is preferred, but no real reference to use in a tube?

Want to use it on 700c commuter wheels runnign at 80+ PSI, so tubeless not really an option.

Ta

Andy

MrTall
    Free Member

I use it in inner tubes with no problems so far.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve used it in a tube before. The only problem is that a lot of presta tubes don’t have a removable valve core so you can’t get it in there.

charliedontsurf

Schwalbe tubes have removable valves, just squeeze in som stans. If you use the lightweight tubes you can get the puncture protection without adding any weight.

I call it “yes tubes”

aP
    Free Member

I use Stans in my cross tubs. Been fine for 18 months.

MSP

When an innertube punctures, because it is in a stretched state the hole expands to a much bigger hole, they don’t seal very will with a thin sealant like stans, you could try mixing some glitter in with the solution to help seal any bigger holes, but really stans is not suitable for running with innertubes.

Michelin did some tubes a couple of years ago that had an odd shaped cross section that was meant to deal with the problem, not sure if they are still available,

singlespeedstu

The only problem is that a lot of presta tubes don’t have a removable valve core so you can’t get it in there.

Put the stans into a syringe.
    Poke a small hole into the tube.
    Inject the stans.
    Put a patch over the hole.

Spin
    Free Member

Put the stans into a syringe.

You sir, are clever.

Or a junky.

Or both.

singlespeedstu

You sir, are clever.

Or a junky.

Or both.

Or fed up of having thorn punctures in my fatbike tyres with none removable valve core tubes. 😉

andyfb78
    Free Member

Hmm so the stretched tube thing was my concern, is it not restricted int eh amount it stretches because of the tyre it sits in?

anyone got any evidence it does fix the holes?

surely a tyre flexes and stretches as it rolls so small holes in a tube should ok?

hmmm, maybe I just get some tubes, fill ’em up and see what happens…..

Ta

singlespeedstu

I’ve not had to change a tube on the fatbike since i jizzed the tubes up.I have pulled half a dozen thorns out though.

In fairness it doesn’t work as well in tubes as it does in a tubless setup. But it works better than nothing if you have to use tubes.

Keef
    Free Member

I had 10 punctures on a fatty tube the other day,big hawthorn,tyre spun on rim= puncture city. cba to put 10 patches on,so chucked 60ml of stans muck in there,put tube back in,pumped it up,and hey presto uncle Robert was in da house 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

found it works really well for those hard to find/fix slow leaks with road tubes, i get easily bored looking for them, discover it’s a previous badly fixed puncture 😳 in with the stans jobs a good un’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can stans sealant be used in inner tubes?’ is closed to new replies.