Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I swap Crest 29er for Flow 29er without having to change spokes?
  • robarnold
    Free Member

I’ve done a straight swap with identical Mavic rims before by taping the two together and swapping spokes over one by one which worked well. However, I’m not particularly hot on the dimensions and other values needed when speccing rims and spoke lengths.

Can somebody tell me if I can swap them over on to the same hub using the same spokes and nipples via the method above? Unfortunately it appears that the Crest is a little too flexy and keeps going out of true for my 90kg + riding gear girth.

It’s a Hope factory build on to a Pro 2 Evo SP hub if that helps.

Cheers

Ps. Anybody want to buy a pair of Crest 29er rims, only four rides old with one careful owner?! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Google for the erds, a spec chart came up here recently.

clubber
    Free Member

605 for the crest, 600 for the flow so that’s 2.5mm difference from hub to rim. Whether that’d be OK depends on how long your current spokes are and how much further the nipples can screw on.

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

pjt201
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the crest rims – mail in my profile.

schmiken

I’d also be interested in the rims, email is feralbeta AT hotmail.com.

The rims may swap over if the spokes are on the shorter side, wheelpro seems to say you’d need 290/291 for the front Flow, 292/294 for front Crest and 291/290 rear Flow, 292/294 for rear Crest.

You should be lucky enough to get away with it, you’ll just have a bit of spoke poking out the top of the nipple. Worst case scenario, you’ll need to buy 32 new spokes (assuming 32h rims).

cy

You can’t do it to a Flow, but the new ArchEX is the same ERD as the Crest so that would work if you want something a little stiffer and tougher for minimal hassle. I’ve got some on both my bikes and initial impressions are good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP if you are in doubt as to whether your spokes are short enough, unscrew one nipple and remove it, then see how much further it will screw on to the spoke than when in the rim. If it’s 2.5mm or more then it should work.

robarnold
    Free Member

Cy: the Arch looks like a good option looking at it now. If that will go straight on I’ll do that and save a few grams over the Flow.

Chaps: ill need to wait until the new rims are in stock but I’ll email you once I’m ready to sell

robarnold
    Free Member

Edit: found some Arch rims in stock with just riding along. Crest rims will be available early next week, I’ll give PJ and Schmiken first refusal on them

pjt201
    Free Member

nice one, cheers rob.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I swap Crest 29er for Flow 29er without having to change spokes?’ is closed to new replies.