Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can I join the cool club and go 1×10… if I can any good deals?
  • marko75
    Free Member

currently run 3×10 and my cassette and middle chain ring have seen better days and need to be changed. if the cool kids let me, I have been thinking about going 1×10 and run a oneup 42 ring.

Merlins looks cheaper for the cassette and redraileur than some of the german sites but is there anywhere cheaper?

thanks

Simon

When I bought an SLX 10 spd cassette last week Ribble seemed to be the cheapest.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You can’t do the big ring set up with a SLX. And it’s not about being cool, have you got the legs for it? 😳

marko75
    Free Member

And it’s not about being cool, have you got the legs for it?

Please no beer – let me be cool! My local track is woburn so running a 32 or 30 NW chainring up front should be fine….. if not I can be cool and walk!

Over the winter I run SS for the simplicity, tidy bars and simple maintenance. Over the summer I have run 3×10. Now its time to change I figure I would give it a go – if I buy 1×10 + oneup and it doesnt work out for me I can always go back to 3×10 and sell the 42cog on here.

tmb467
    Free Member

Ace Components sell a narrow wide ring, chainring bolts, 10sp chain, 16t sprocket, and 40 or 42t dinner plate to fit a shimano XT cassette for £90

You can get an XT cassette from all terrain for £36 and an slx shifter pair for £30 (ditch the lhs one). A zee FR mech is about £40 so that’s £200 all in

Not cheap if you’re just doing it for show but indispensable for a new build

maxtorque

I run 32/42 at woburn all the time and it’s fine even on those short sharp steep climbs hiding in the back woods 😉

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Everyone knows the cool club run 1×11
    1×10 is so 2012

marko75
    Free Member

Ace Components

but i am not that rich!

You can get an XT cassette from all terrain for £36 and an slx shifter pair for £30 (ditch the lhs one). A zee FR mech is about £40 so that’s £200 all in

I have an XT shifter so just saved myself a couple of quid!

tmb467
    Free Member

Looks expensive but it’s not really.

In all honesty if you’re not going to go for an extender then you can stick with an slx cassette (or use your existing one) You have a shifter and a chain so just get a chain device (full one if you’ve not got a clutch mech) and keep your existing middle ring.

You’ll need bolts tho – so there’s an outlay for a chain device and some bolts. If you like it then spend more money incrementally. I’d say clutch mech, narrow wide, XT cassette and extender in that order

tmb467
    Free Member

But in answer to your original question – cheapest i found here was XT cassette for £36 from all terrain and a zee mech from chain reaction for what I wanted

Slx mech is about the same price – you might get cheaper in classifieds as well?

Merlin was cheapest by pennies tho

slackman99
    Free Member

Shadow + Deore mech at merlin for £20. Bargain!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can I join the cool club and go 1×10… if I can any good deals?’ is closed to new replies.