Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a "My First Race"
  • joebickley
    Free Member

Hello,

I ride XC casually but have never raced. This weekend i did the Helly Hanson adventure race at Cannock and i LOVED the bikes stages (awesome race but god im tired!). Because of the type of event most of the participants were more runners than MTBer's so i was able to cut through the pack and there is nothing better than powering through a muddy bog and up a hill while everyone else is scrabling around in first gear 🙂

So it set my mind off on entering a proper XC race. Now i know the standard of any XC race is going to be way higher so can anyone recommend a good starter race? Something i wont finish dead last in and wont get in the way of the pros 🙂

I fit firmly between vets and youths if age makes any difference 🙂

Joe

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Where abouts are you based?

joebickley
    Free Member

Warwick – which is flat 🙂

Cannock is my nearest MTB centre but east wales is fine to get to also and im happy to travel a bit.

oldgit
    Free Member

Where are you based for a start? also it's a bit late in the year. However you could have a pop at cyclo cross on your MTB, and you could enter the novice cat that some races have.
    TBH after the initial scramble you probably couldn't tell if you were first or last.
    You'll never finish last, I think a special bloke comes along to do that.
    In one race the marshall was waiting for the last man in the first wave of riders to clear the course before he sent us off, however there was a real danger of the first riders coming in before we even started. Even after waiting an age we caught the last man and he'd only dome about 500 metres.

crazy-legs

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/mtb

There's a link on that page to the race calendar as well, from there it's just a matter of finding a local-ish race, getting yourself an entry into the Fun (or Open) category and enjoy!

stumpy01

Thetford Winter series – it's a bit of a travel, but a friendly race series and nothing too taxing to get started on.

You can choose 2 or 4hr race as well (not sure if they are gonna do a 6hr as well like they did for the summer series this year).
    Have a look on http://www.thetfordmtbracing.com – although at the moment, there's not a lot about the Winter Series as the Dusk 2 Dawn is still to come.

uplink
    Free Member

You know he's right
    over the years I've entered everything from rowing to motorcycles races taking in things like egg & spoon races on the way & not once have I finished last – regardless of how unskilled/unfit/crap I was at any particular discipline

joebickley
    Free Member

Cheers guys – really helpful

There is one at Lee Quary shortly which has good "newb" catagories and Thetford isnt too long a drive so will keep an eye on that too.

Should be able to squeeze one or two in before it gets a bit to peaky.

miketually
    Free Member

*waves*

njee20
    Free Member

Gorricks are excellent if you want a 'proper' XC race rather than an Enduro, but they're a bit of a way. Thetford winter series are excellent events too.

theotherjonv

Warwick to Gorrick shouldn't take more than 90 mins on a sunday morning and the courses are great, organisation top notch, lots of categories to pit yourself against, and if you were to say opt for the fun or open category as a starter at least, they start around midday and 1pm iirc, so plenty of time to arrive and pre-ride without having a 6 am start!

Or if you prefer a more enduro based race (see how many laps you can do in a set time) Gorrick and the Army Cycling Union are doing a series over the winter.

http://www.gorrick.com/racing/index.php#autumn

theotherjonv

PS: I've actually applied several times to be the bloke who comes last but it's a sought after position, handed down I think from generation to generation and an absolute closed shop. No matter how slow you are.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did actually win a cash prize for being the Lantern Rouge, paid for the cakes!

miketually
    Free Member

I did actually win a cash prize for being the Lantern Rouge, paid for the cakes!

I got a £150 light and a sponsorship deal 🙂

joebickley
    Free Member

Gorrick sounds like a good shout too and fine to drive to, i have gone down there for work a few times so i know its shortish.

Maybe i should also apply to be "last place man" too, although getting back when everyone faster than you has cleared out the burger mans truck is not nice.

domino

The Lee Quarry race you mentioned is good as a first race – I did one of them as my first race. I don't ever expect to be a racer, I went along for a bit of fun and to try something I had never done before. Everyone was nice, the marshalls and the spectators all gave me a cheer and I really enjoyed myself.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

The Midlands XC series ran this year – Four races including one at Rugby and one at Cannock, both fairly near to you. I think this years series was a success, so hopefully they will do it again in 2010.

They do an Open Category which is a good place to start if you are reasonably fit. BUT do not underestimate the standard at XC races. I have podiumed in the Open races when feeling good, but am woefully inadequate for the 'proper' race categories (e.g. masters)

Brownbacks
    Free Member

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

race this Sunday 27th, pre-entry still open (get the discount)

94 riders having fun in race 1, more in race 2?

lots of spot prizes, excellent prizes for the competitive, friendly atmosphere and lots of parking

njee20
    Free Member

Gorrick would definitely get my vote if you're happy with the distance then, they're good fun. Big categories too, making last place a very hotly contested one. You'll often get >80 for each of open and fun.

The mantle of last place in elite is regularly mine, so you'll have to stick to the lower categories I'm afraid!

Olly
    Free Member

sleepless in the saddle with a team of 4 🙂
    missed it for this year though :'(

drapes
    Free Member

Another vote for the gorricks.

Theres 2 this autumn on the 18th of oct and 8th of nov.

You can do 1 – 5 laps depending on what category you enter. The lap is normally only about 5-6 miles but they make extremely good use of the hills.

I normally enter either "open" or "master". Both are 3 laps. You will find some pretty tough competition there if you want to compete at the front otherwise you can chill with the riding for fun crew. Just be sure to clear the racing line when you hear "RIDER" being shouted at you.

joebickley
    Free Member

Ah yes, i used the old "get out of the fricking way!!" this weekend to people pushing their bikes up hills in the middle of the track!

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Just be sure to clear the racing line when you hear "RIDER" being shouted at you.

or come to our races where we expect the rider behind to pick an appropriate overtaking point, give you a clue as to which side he is coming past and to say thankyou on the way through … 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a "My First Race"’ is closed to new replies.