Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can anyone help with a car starting problem please!
  • SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

Hello any STW mechanics out there to help me please?
    Car starting has been a getting worse this last week, and so I booked it for the garage this Monday, however now it wont start at all!
    It appears (to me) to be a fuel starvation problem or related to the fuel gauge maybe – there's a chance it might be sticking, last week it wouldnt start, the guage read zero, i put 5 litres in from a can it started, then put another 10 litres in and the guage read like there was 40 litres in, I cant say whether it actualy did run out of fuel.
    The gauge reads half full now, but the guage light is on to say that the tank is empty. The engine turns but doesnt fire or start – any tips to get it started so i can get it to the garage please?
    ps its a 16 old e class petrol merc, but serviced & in good condition first time it's let me down 🙁

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Ignore the guage.

Stick some more fuel in it first and see if it starts. Then report back

tron
    Free Member

A W124?

Senders can play up, and the whole thing is sometimes part of the fuel pickup from what I can remember of last time I had one apart (on some cars, at least).

Normally accessed by a circular hatch in the boot floor or under the back seat. I'd guess you have a problem with the pickup gauze blocking and a dodgy sender too. May be linked (ie, in the case of a combined item) or may be two seperate issues.

mmb
    Free Member

fuel starvation, check the pump, filter and look for leaks

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

thanks for the responses, it is a w124, straight six, 24 valve 320.
    I will have a look as suggested and put some more in it then report back

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

ok, out some more fuel in, the fuel light has remained on, gauge still reading half full and won't start.
    I can't see any obvious fuel leaks but to be fair i have no idea where the fuel pump is or what it looks like 😳 I can hear that high pitched "note" when I turn the ignition part way though.
    Are there any other easy things I can try (besides recovery!) ?

thanks

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

Thanks, I will have a poke around tomorrow and also try some of the fuses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone help with a car starting problem please!’ is closed to new replies.