Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Camper vans ???
  • FoxyChick
    Free Member

So, me and MrFC are thinking about getting one.
    Had originally planned to get one when we retire, but MRFC reckons I’ll be dead by then!! 😉

So, we need some inspiration…show us yours!
    Oh, and no big **** off Winnebago type thingies cos we’ll have to use it as a car as well!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

fill yer boots here:
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/northmalvern/Van
    Ive just uploaded some more photos for you , including some internals.
    any questions, ask away.

And if you ever doubted, it is the best thing I’ve ever bought…but then we do live in it for over 2 months a year…

djglover
    Free Member

My parents have a Murvi Morello

And its superb, all mod cons fitted into a van, no coachworks etc. They’ve been living on the scottish isles in it since April

Jammy bastards!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I sold mine to help fund my life in the sun! Totally loved it and had some of my best times in it. Nothing beats the feeling of sitting up in the van with a bottle of red and some simple food in somewhere totally remote. Oh, apart from waking up in the same place, putting the coffee on and making some poached eggs on toast. Really miss it. I will get another one while I’m still young enough to enjoy it. Hope the present owner doesn’t mind me putting some pics up:

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Don’t, whatever you do, get on eof those ‘money-pit-slow-as-****-need-fixing-all-the-time-heating-don’t-work-freezing-bastard-cold-can’t-we-go-any-faster-I’m-doing-nearly-30-get-overtaken-by-some-old-granny-in-a-mobility-cart-rattle-the-fillings-out-of-your-teeth-nothing-works-propply-why-the-****-are-these-bastard-things-so-popular’ old-school VW campers, no matter how romantic the idea. The reality is just a World Of Pain (Like World of Leather, but with Pain instead of Leather).

I know there are some stupid masochists brave souls who think they’re great, but they are very spensive to run, require a LOT of work, and are nowhere near as economical as modern vayns.

Stoner’s looks nice, though.

If you get one with an expanding roof section, then there could be a little pod area for RudeBoy to curl up in! Bonus! What more could you want?? 😀

AB
    Free Member

Post of the year goes to:

RudeBoy

Don’t, whatever you do, get on eof those ‘money-pit-slow-as-****-need-fixing-all-the-time-heating-don’t-work-freezing-bastard-cold-can’t-we-go-any-faster-I’m-doing-nearly-30-get-overtaken-by-some-old-granny-in-a-mobility-cart-rattle-the-fillings-out-of-your-teeth-nothing-works-propply-why-the-****-are-these-bastard-things-so-popular’ old-school VW campers, no matter how romantic the idea. The reality is just a World Of Pain (Like World of Leather, but with Pain instead of Leather).

Rudeboy – you made me smile!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Cheers all!
    Stoner…yours is the kind of thing we’ve been looking at.

*note to self…do NOT get one with an expanding roof section* 😯

We went camping up at Patterdale last Summer. It took us about 45 minutes to get set up…tent, lilos, etc
    Two old blokes arrived in a battered old camper, and within 5 minutes they were sitting out, under their awning, beer in hand and Johnny Cash blasting out of their stereo. 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

the guy who did the original conversion (for Clink, of this’ere parish) is Autohaus, and he seems to have gone into business with another outfit now so you can find his stuff here
    http://www.acareleisureltd.co.uk/

RudeBoy
    Free Member

AB; it’s not funny, really. Not when you’re stuck at the side of the A23 in the freezing cold, waiting for the breakdown service, with everyone pissed off, and the owner almost in tears because he’s only just last week spent £800 on a new engine, as well as the thousands spent on various other bits. Then, to cap it all off, rain starts seeping in though a rotting rubber seal in the roof… 🙁

*note to self…do NOT get one with an expanding roof section*

(Feels unwanted and unloved. Cries. 😥 )

FoxyChick
    Free Member

MrFC has just popped in and says Stoner’s is “the business”!

Oh, and he added…”expanding roof section?…how about curling up in a freezer RB?” 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

you do want the expaning roof section (sans chippy-cockney, natch)

Stooping while cooking etc is a pain.

Currently stoner Jr sleeps in the back behind the rock and roll seat but when he grows another 6″ he’ll need more space so will go upstairs (or out in a quetchua 🙂 ).

There is genuninely enough space for 4 adults (2+2) to sleep…but not to live 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I tell you; having ‘tried’ to sleep in a VW camper in I think it was November or something, down on the South Coast, a freezer might be preferable.

I’ve had more comfy nights in police cells….

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner…yes we would defo get one with expanding roof, but would prefer to wake up without London’s gob-on-a-stick curled up at our feet!!! 😉

Oh, and our sprogs will definitely be out in a tent!

scotster
    Free Member

Camper Van?

Beethoven!!

Do yourself a favour and take the skin heads bowling and enjoy!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camper_Van_Beethoven

🙂

Scotster.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Thank you for your valuable contribution scotster. 😯

MrsTricky
    Free Member

We took the plunge 6 years ago and went for a new VW. We spend all our holidays in it, including Christmas in Aviemore (we have a diesel heater). MissT sleeps in the roof.

MrsT

FoxyChick
    Free Member

MrsT…that is lurvely!!

You weren’t at Bikeraderlive by any chance?

Only we were admiring a van just like yours!
    I suppose there are lots of red VW campervans about… 8)

liquid1000
    Free Member

We just got a T5 from http://www.leisuredrive.co.uk/

Basically they get variety of aged and derivatives of ex lease hire vw panels vans in from another company, so you buy the van you want/can afford. They they convert to the spec. you want, we just got the crusader conversion with a hard top, as will be a bit warmer in the winter. Had our first weekend away this weekend, great van and great fun!

MrsTricky
    Free Member

Thanks FC

No, it wasn’t us at Bikeraderlive, but we were at Mountain Mayhem last week

MrsT

postierich
    Free Member

Just for Rudyboy!

Rich

Moses

Had originally planned to get one when we retire, but MRFC reckons I’ll be dead by then!!

So, we need some inspiration…show us yours!

OK, I’ll put some pics up sometime of our Iveco conversion, in which Mrs M is spending the week at Glastonbury. We bought it because a friend who planned to get one when he retired, died first, quite yhoung. So we thought, eff this, let’s get one before we die. So we did, and we like it so much we will upgrade to a stupidly expensive one sometime soon.

Therefore, ours is for sale so we can raise the necessary cash…but don’t buy it if you;re more than 5’10” tall. The bed’s short. But it’s W reg with less than 55k on the clock, and it’s only £7k ish.

🙂

myheadsashed

Should a lottery win be in the offing

http://www.actionmobil.at

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Tomorrow we will have owned it for a week and next weekend will be the shakedown trip. Heated, got a shower, porta loo, fridge, two ring hob, 2 double beds (but both need some putting up, the one we will use, in the roof bit, will take about 2 minutes from start to in bed).
    Been pootling around town on LPG and fuel consumption is terrifying but should be bearable on a run but can tell you that next week.
    Not exactly a classic RB but an old VW all the same

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Postierich; you cooduv bought a Ferrari for that! 😉

And a Porsche, and still had money left over…

alpin
    Free Member

yay!

my mate is currently looking at a T4 for 2800€ with 200k-km on the clock.

it’s a people carrier type with windows all-round but only one bench seat in the back.

one question. is there enough room to lie down behind the row of seats to sleep?
    how much effort is it to install a false floor, under which you have storeage, ontop of which you sleep?

is there a website full of people bodge job home conversions?

nice pics guys.

Northwind

Realistically, for something decent *, what sort of budget should you look at? I’ve got vague thoughts in this direct, for biking and for motorbike use…

* Decent = mechanically sound and reliable, not a money pit, good sensible conversion in good nick… Nothing gucci but also not rubbish or worn out or otherwise scabrous. Oh, and not terrifyingly inefficient and fuel-burny.

montylikesbeer

Wellhouse Leisure

Try the link above to Wellhouse, my pal has a Toyota Granvia, its superb.

The vans get imported from Japan and get converted in to motor homes with complete new interiors.

I am toying with the idea of getting one myself.

Stoner
    Free Member

Northwind

Cheap conversion furniture like this on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T4-TRANSPORTER-CAMPER-CONVERSION-UNITS_W0QQitemZ230346185765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item35a1b3dc25&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A4|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200
    add a rock and roll bed
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rock-n-roll-pull-out-bed-for-T4-s-T5-s-and-most-others_W0QQitemZ160343345612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item25553549cc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A4|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

then stick one of these in
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/complete-cooker-sink-unit-for-camper-motorhome_W0QQitemZ270415653531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item3ef6076a9b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A4|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

can all be thrown in a relatively inexpensive van of your choice with a bit of graft.

A professional conversion of an existing van is going to cost around £8-15k depending on spec.

Failing that eBay is your best bet for completed conversion prices.
    T4/T5 are usually the most expensive.

alpin – not sure there’s room to lie down in a SWB one behind the bench seat.

chopperT
    Free Member

Keeping it old school and aircooled.

In Denmark,

On the Cheimsee,

And in the Loir,

Last summer was 4 months, and 8000km through England, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and back to Engerland.
    Me, the Mrs and two wee boys (18m and 3y at the time). It were ace.

The “Dub-Dub” is now in NZ with us. Can’t leave a good friend behind.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Had an old bay – RB is bang on – slow cold and a money pit.
    Moved on to a T3 (pics below) brilliant!
    More space inside than later vans because the engine is in the back (puts tin hat on – but it’s true – we’ve measured and VW confirmed it)
    Pop or high top is essential unless you are seriously short or want to develop a pronounced stoop.
    If you get a late Westfalia conversion it comes with all the bits including a nice Eberspacher heater – 365 days camping in comfort.

Go away in ours a lot – carries 4 plus bikes and boards, an awning makes it very practical.

phiiiiil

Since our new toy nearly two months ago the tent has remained abandoned in the loft – the van just makes everything sooo much easier and nicer.

We went away last weekend; with all the rain on Friday we wouldn’t have bothered if we were using a tent. Left home at about 7:30pm; dinner in a pub half way at about 9pm; arrived at about 11:30pm; in bed by about 11:35pm. Blummin’ brilliant things.

Stoner
    Free Member

nice new toy phil

BTW I suggest you have a go at mounting that fiamma lower down otherwise you run the risk of clipping the bike going under a barrier.

EDIT like this

mk1fan
    Free Member

postierich, nice Porsche wheels – 944 Turbo?

pjd
    Free Member

What Rudeboy so I guess you don’t want one of these

just did about 1100 in 3 days…that is too much!!!

But their not too bad if you don’t mind fettling!!!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

look like D90s

phildowling
    Free Member

mines a bit of a project but getting there!

As collected

Now…after lots of time and many £££££’s its nearly there 🙂

Be at Bonty 24 if any wants a look

postierich
    Free Member

Needs slamming!!!!

How does it corner?hopefully be @ 24/12 so will pop over for a butchers!

Rich

Northwind

Stoner, thanks a lot for the answer, much appreciated.

phildowling
    Free Member

Had slammed vans in the past and its a pain in the arse! Got mine stuck a few times last year! 3rd bus now

Staying stock height for the mo and still running reduction boxes 🙄
    high and slooooooowww

Yeah pop over in Bonty think we’ll be there from Friday midday ish till monday. I’m soloing so won’t be there much during the event (hopefully) be on the main camp as well not solo area

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Hi FoxyChick

If its any help i’ve had a series of VW’s and i hope the following helps

My old Bay window air cooled camper was lovely and i still miss it. It was also slow, thirsty, cold ( heating is cr*p )and unreliable. Mind you it was 30+ years old so what do you expect. You really have to want one to consider buying.

The square angular shape ( often known as T25 ) like ChopperT’s make good campers as the engine under the boot gives good living space. Unfortunately the engines are still the weakest point the diesel especially so.

The T4’s are good. Front engined, these are much more car like to drive with power steering and some with air con. The 2.5 turbo diesel ( 102 BHP ) the pick. Long wheel base option makes a good camper. Expect 35+ MPG, cruise at the legal limit all day long.

T5, the current model. Evolution not revolution. Solid. Sound deadening much improved. The 130 BHP five cylinder model would be my pick.

Good luck

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Camper vans ???’ is closed to new replies.