Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Campagnolo conundrums – help needed…
  • barn
    Free Member

Question 1:

Where to find replacement chainrings for compact Veloce 10 spd (ultratorque cranks circa 2006)?

LBS have MOV of £150 so can’t easily get from Chicken.

Question 2:

Veloce 10 spd levers with Shimano 9 spd block, mech and chain with a Jtek Shiftmate. Question is will a Shimano front mech (double 9 spd Sora) work with Campag left lever?

Thanks.

aP
    Free Member

I have TA chainrings on my 11spd road bike and 10spd cx bike – both Campag Ultra Torque compact chainsets.
    As long as you don’t have the painful Ergolevers with indexed front shifter then I can’t see why it shouldn’t work with a different mech.

nemesis
    Free Member

1. any 110 bcd chainring. In the past I’ve actually bought complete chainsets and sold the cranks as it was cheaper than buying rings

2. Yes. I’ve done it with loads of combinations. All fine.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Campagnolo condoms is what I first read 😯

nemesis
    Free Member

Just a point, with your ergos and mech, you can use a 10s shimano cassette via the hubbub method.

barn
    Free Member

Thanks Nemesis.
    Question 1 & 2 sorted – genius.

So I could re-route mech cable (a la Sheldon), ditch Shiftmate and use a 10p Shim block?
    You just saved me £40!

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep. You would need a 10 speed chain and cassette though.

dobo
    Free Member

fwiw 8 speed cassette works perfectly with campag veloce shifters with no mod needed and no shift mate. you can use any 9 speed mech or a road mech for that matter.
    its what i use on the cx.
    tried the hubub method but didnt work well for me with my mech on 9 speed.
    sram do good cheap 8 speed cassette.

gfkvelo
    Free Member

You can’t use “any 110BCD chainring” as Campag have one bolt offset at 108 mm so as to get the rings correctly timed relative to one another … TA do a compatible ring or we probably have stock of the relevant outer ring. If you’d like, please PM.

FD will shift better with Campag 9/10 compatible & if it’s set right, you’ll be able to use all 10 sprockets from the big ring without trimming – but the Shimano units aren’t too clunky with 10s and only occasionally throw off to the inside (on the 9s units the cage is a tad too wide …)

HTH
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
    Campagnolo main UK SC

faustus

Might find some suitable chainrings here for that era that are campag specific:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/chainrings-road/chri

Replacing an outer chainring on my centaur powertorque 10sp, and these are pretty cheap. Otherwise it’s new chainset and selling the cranks as nemesis says above…

scaredypants

Campag have one bolt offset at 108 mm so as to get the rings correctly timed relative to one another

I can’t see that 🙁 – how does one bolt location affect anything (assuming there are more than 2 in total) ?
    Oh, and what do they mean by timing ?

faustus

One of the 5 bolts is slightly offset so the chainring can only be fitted in 1 position (and other rings won’t fit). This position is optimal for campag rings that have been machined in such a way as to optimise the shifting. I think that’s what gfkvelo meant?

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh yeah 😳

As he says, the chainring bolt behind the crank arm is a different bcd so for Campag you need a campag specific chainring

Should really have remembered that as I have the same chainset on one of my bikes…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Campagnolo conundrums – help needed…’ is closed to new replies.