Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • RUM ! Where to buy decent rum online?
  • spectabilis
    Free Member

Anybody know of any online shops for nice rum.
    I’m not after silly price stuff just something not supermarket fayre.
    I like like spiced stuff like Kraken, Red leg etc but I’ve had a few rare central/south American ones which I really liked especially an Argentine one and one from Belize… can’t remember the names though 😆

So yeah any recommendations and where to get it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just buy some XO and stop this silliness with spiced rubbish. 😉

Three large ice cubes, one large splash of XO. Done.

Eclipse is good, but a little light for my taste. 1703 is deliciously good, mind you. I still feel that XO is the pick of the bunch in terms of price and deliciousness. You can savour it as if it’s an expensive number, but not get too upset when you and your guests smash through a whole bottle in a night. 🙂

Fancy trying a Seale’s at some point, and Doorly’s.

From other islands, St Lucia’s Chairman’s Reserve is another cracker.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Masters of malt

belugabob
    Free Member

Good question – could never find an online supply for the most excellent Tortuga Gold Rum, and have been missing it dreadfully since finishing the bottle that I brought back from the Cayman Islands. (Gosh, was that really 12 years ago!)

The Tortuga Gold Rum cake is dead easy to find but, as scrummy as this is, it isn’t a path on a bottle of the Rum itself.

If anybody spots some – I’m interested.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beluga, as per my earlier link – There’s gold in them thar links!

johnj2000
    Free Member

I get emails from this bunch and keep getting tempted with the single malts, they have rum and gin as well.
    linky

markshires
    Free Member

I know morrisons had Kraken rum on offer £18 a week or so back,(personally I haven’t tried it but was tempted)

My favourite is ron barchello imperial.

+1 for masters of malt online though should have plenty to keep you busy!

tang
    Free Member

My Grandfather lived in Guyana and his annual visit he always brought over old bottles of El Dorado or occasionally ‘ country rum’ from his personal supply. As a Doctor who did free clinics on the river, rum was often a gift.

Kryton57

Just buy some XO and stop this silliness with spiced rubbish.

Three large ice cubes, one large splash of XO. Done.

Eclipse is good, but a little light for my taste. 1703 is deliciously good, mind you. I still feel that XO is the pick of the bunch in terms of price and deliciousness. You can savour it as if it’s an expensive number, but not get too upset when you and your guests smash through a whole bottle in a night.

A waste. Sip the XO smugly over a single ice cube.

Fancy trying a Seale’s at some point, and Doorly’s.

From other islands, St Lucia’s Chairman’s Reserve is another cracker.

All this. I’ve recently learned we are off here next August *packs spare suitcase*.

Edit: I can get that XO for £8 less.

MrSmith
    Free Member

There are supermarket rums far better than that spiced rubbish.
    Angostura 1919 is amazing value (sainsburys waitrose) English harbour is good too.
    Diplomatico or El Dorado if spending a bit more.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kryton, if you’re off to St Lucia, pack sick bags! The roads are atrocious! If there was ever a place to bring on a bout of travel sickness…..

A shame, as the rest of it was lovely!

Still prefer Barbados, though, both for rum and location.

Oh, and I like to linger a little over my XO, hence the three ice cubes and large dollop of rum approach. I’d agree that it can happily be sipped over a single cube, though. However, none of this spiced rubbish, or even worse….mixers! *shudders*

English harbour is good too.

Yep, not at all bad. The 5yr is very easy going rum, and eminently quaffable. Still prefer Chairman’s or XO, mind you.

Kryton57

Kryton, if you’re off to St Lucia, pack sick bags! The roads are atrocious! If there was ever a place to bring on a bout of travel sickness…..

A shame, as the rest of it was lovely!

Still prefer Barbados, though, both for rum and location.

Generally I agree, I didn’t get out much in St Lucia as we honeymooned inclusive at The Rendezvous. Beutiful in the forest but watch out for snakes, but Castres came across a much poorer town than the Bajan populous.

Sigh, many an evening spent in the Rendevous late night Jazz bar sipping Chairmans in mellow rum fogged bliss listening to live Blues and Jazz… A special moment in time.

PMK2060

Aldi have El Dorado 8 year old rum for £20. Supposed to be a nice drop though not tried it myself yet.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Garrr what fine bunch of scurvy dogs we have ‘ere!

Cheers for the suggestions so far I’ll be doing a bit of trawling through the links later on.

The Angostura 1919 tickled my fancy earlier, as did a Doorlys and a couple others which came up in the above links.

Just so you know this’ll be smashed with mates in the usual uncivilised manner so will stay under 35notes tops I reckon.

Still want to find this stuff from Belize.. Have messaged my rum buddy but I’m not sure where he is in the world at the mo so not holding out for the info any time soon.

Happy to hear as more recommendations though.

Cheers

Tallpaul

Cavalier Gold Rum is the best Antiguan Rum. Can’t find it in the UK, though. Shame as it’s dirt cheap!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Castries, Kryton, not that well know rugby town in the SW of France, Castres. 🙂

I agree, though. Barbados has always seemed a better balanced society to me.

Rendezvous is the one by the smaller airport, IIRC. Was a little further north, in Choc Bay.

The fish…..oh yes, the fish! Yum!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I got these things called Whisky Stones a couple of Christmases back.
    Blocks of solid stone you put in the freezer then in your drink. Cools it down without diluting it.

Rum-wise I like Ron Zacapa

Kryton57

Just so you know this’ll be smashed with mates in the usual uncivilised manner so will stay under 35notes tops I reckon.

In which case save some cash and get the Mount Gay eclipse, mix with coke. You will find it smoothly palatable and very moorish lots of steps above your Bacardi slammers. You will then be intrigued to buy the XO and not to waste it on guzzling by hiding it from said mates. Please please do not guzzle the XO.

Kryton57

Rendezvous is the one by the smaller airport, IIRC. Was a little further north, in Choc Bay.

Nice. That’s right. I rember lying on the beach watching the occasional plane fly over, constantly sticking my flag in the sand to call the Beach Waiter over 😀

belugabob
    Free Member

Beluga, as per my earlier link – There’s gold in them thar links!

Aargh – not available!

Will have to hope that they contact me when they have some in stock.

Cheers CFH!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tallpaul, a quick search shows this as the UK distributor;

Malcolm Cowen Ltd
    Unit C, Western Trading Estate
    London NW10 7PJ
    Tel: 020) 8965 1937
    Fax:(020)-8961-3501 rupert.wilkins@cowen.co.uk

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

constantly sticking my flag in the sand to call the Beach Waiter over

We must holiday in different places. 😉 Never had to do anything like that, just let the glass get nearly empty and as if by magic, there’s another on the way! 🙂

Especially the case in Antigua, where the truly excellent Alfred would somehow appear at exactly the right time!

Beluga, hope it works for you! Always nice to see people embracing good rum, as it’s such an overlooked drink.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Some of the best rum I ever tasted was from Puerto Rico, Trigo Reserva Añeja, fairly sure it’s not exported unfortunately 🙁

belugabob
    Free Member

Beluga, hope it works for you! Always nice to see people embracing good rum, as it’s such an overlooked drink.

Never have been trendy (as anybody who has seen my wardrobe can testify) and am also beginning to get a bit miffed by the concentration on spiced rum – prefer the original sort myself. Was really annoyed on a recent work social in a trendy bar in London when, after getting a bit bored with the supplied Budweiser, went to the bar for a pint of bitter – thought they were joking when they said they had none, then spotted all of the clarences and Jemima’s drinking flavoured ciders.
    Not going there again.

scandal42
    Free Member

I spent a decent period of time in Nicaragua and drank myself silly on Flor de Caña.

A lovely rum, especially if you can get your hands on the 5 or 7 year old

spectabilis
    Free Member

Flor de Caña.

Wallop! That’s going right on the short list.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Ahhh sweet sweet rum.

Havana Anejo Especial – mixing and generally gulping down. Available everywhere. 16 quid in Sainsburys (erm, apparently)
    Angostura 1919 – classy all rounder. Waitrose usually have this.
    La Hechicera – Colombian, something different.Whisky Exchange
    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva – why spend more? Whisky exchange and most good liquour stores

And the best thing is there’s so many more to try… Some great suggestions so far

ahwiles
    Free Member

with a parrot, for extra pirate effect:

(s’nice too)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not an online store so much but Kraken on offer at Mozzers right now, and sold out in Malvern last night. But a PSA nonetheless!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have just acquired a bottle of Pyrat XO reserve, has anyone tried it or rated it?

Cheers (hic)

ourmaninthenorth

This is a fabulous thread. And all you suggesters are gentlemen of the highest order.

Given I’m sitting in Harry’s in Selfridges right now, I think I’ll drink up and spend even more money…..

billyboy
    Free Member

Having been to the French Caribbean earlier this year, most every rum I’ve tried in the UK since is a vast disappointment. If you do a trip to France you can find Dillons, and maybe Bologne. Both brilliant. The Bologne Agricol Rum was 6.20 Euros a litre where I went….heaven.

epicyclo

Any Queenslander will tell you the best rum is “Bundie” (Bundaberg Rum).

It’s got some posh versions, but all possess the same vital quality –

You can sing, dance, shout, fall over, and fight all night on just one bottle.

Or so I’m told, I never remember much after the falling over bit. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Went on a Christmas booze trip to Waitrose earlier. Apart from a quick visit costing me £300* Mrs North and I were clearly feeling the need for the sun: for me our guests some Angostura 1919 and for her our guests, some cachaca to make caipirinhas.

We clearly have seasonal affective disorder!

*not finished buying and hope my father will bring some decent wine, and my father in law some decent beer.

woffle
    Free Member
    ourmaninthenorth

Blast. Looks like I missed the deal….

cloudnine
    Free Member
    Kryton57

How do you know what the flash sale price will be?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

What is a good Ecuadorian rum?
    I’m going there later in the summer and plan to spent the whole two weeks totally sozzled.
    Seems that imported alcohol is expensive, so it needs to be a locally made one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘RUM ! Where to buy decent rum online?’ is closed to new replies.