• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by chip.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Camera for the trails
  • andy9678
    Free Member

Is there any cameras out there that are not in the £200-300 price range something a bit easier on the pocket

bikeneil
    Free Member

Yes, loads.

andy9678
    Free Member

Stupid question so well expect an even stupider answer where is best to look and what brands

bikeneil
    Free Member

Currys would be a good start.

kayak23

Second-hand Nikon d40? Great little big camera.

andy9678
    Free Member

Ooops im a thick git for not putting down im looking for a head cam doh 😳

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I bought a Sony RX100. I’m amazed at the quality of the photos.

kristoff
    Free Member

Obvious choice is a second hand go pro

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Go pro black edition with a chest harness.

badllama
    Free Member

Gopro 2 WTF does anyone need any one need above HD for home usage? The black is lighter of course and as said above chesty

ampthill

Genuis some one managed to mention a camera that over budget

I use and a Canon IXUS 115 HS. Its been great for film and prints. You can add a water proof case for about 35.

I use a geek camera as well, but not on the trails

Jeffus
    Free Member

I have the Drift HD but they are £199 they do a HD720 for £130 pleased with mine so far , makes my riding look even tamer than it already is 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty of very nice small cameras around £100 inc with hd video, all of major brands Canon, Panasonic etc. we just bought Canon IXUS 500 for a friend – a model being phased out down from £135 to £90, had full hd video. Added a memory card for £10 or so and a case for similar.I have a Panasonic LUMIX.

I think helmet and chest mounted GoPro type footage is quite boring, stuff shot off the bike is better, so a normal camera is fine for that

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gopro 2 WTF does anyone need any one need above HD for home usage?

The black has a glass lens, every other go-pro is plastic. Makes a huge difference even running it at 1080p.

mangatank
    Free Member

RX100. The best. Don’t go for a rugged one unless you intend swimming. Picture quality first, size second, sealable sandwich bag thereafter.

stumpy01

The guy wants a head cam, not a compact.

Veho do a few cheaper offerings. I have one of their tiny non HD ones and to be honest it’s pretty rubbish. But, I think they do a more expensive one that’s meant to be pretty good.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve had a Sony HDR-AS15 for about 6 months now.

Main advantage for me over the GoPro is image stabilisation – works amazingly well.

Brilliant piece of kit although I’ve had to home-bodge a couple of things but it is superb now.

Removed annoying rattle from loose LCD display
    Modified housing to take 37mm filters (max 120 deg angle)
    Modified housing to take GoPro system mounts (attaches to chest mount – sticks out a bit but still works as good and the image stabilisation takes care of any extra wobble)

177.02 inc shipping

I’ll maybe start a thread on my mods when I’ve finished them. Still to do the multiple buttons through housing for full control – although wifi seems to make up for that.

One mod I’m scratching my head over is how to remove the unnaturally bright blue skies – what filter do you reckon?

chip
    Free Member

I have a Drift 1080 HD as well, Although I only ever use it at 720.
    As at 720 there’s less of a fisheye effect and you can run it at 60 frames per second, Better if you want to view in slow motion.

Although as said above it really does make stuff look a lot more tame on playback, as you are generally looking in the direction you are going so it Makes it difficult to appreciate the steepness of the trail.

So when I do see head cam footage that looks steep, I think to myself that must be bloody steep.

I have never actually recorded anything that I have considered worthy of YouTube and every thing normally gets deleted after disappointingly viewing how unGnarr I am.

Even makes my crashes look far less spectacular than they appear at the time.
    This not a reflection of the drift but my riding.

There is another thread called look before you leap where the rider has drift written on the side of his helmet so I am guessing that is the camera it was filmed with.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Camera for the trails’ is closed to new replies.