Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 326 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog 2013 General Chat
  • empy
    Free Member

Clipless is definitely the way to go – some hard technical climbs this year and the descents are fast but not too tricky (from what I understand about this years course). As has been said, if it rains, mud will stick to tyres like, well.. mud and clearance will be an issue. Two years ago I had to give up mid-lap when I couldn’t clear the mud :(. Useful to have set of Mud-X just in case…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Stanmer was very slippy last night! Oh and Coledeane in reverse is just evil, 😀

TimP
    Free Member

Training:
    Started with the Lions and moved seamlessly into the Ashes before an impromptu meeting with General Malaise means training has been limited to a couple of rides. On the flip side my boozing has improved beyond my wildest dreams. Still 1 1/2 weeks is plenty of time to get fit, right?
    Bike:
    The choice is the 150mm f/s which needs new bearings and bushes or the SS. As it is fully working I will be on the SS. And I am already regretting it.
    Tyres: ignitors haven’t let me down yet, but only 20 miles old. Have mud x just in case.

All I want is to not come last…but if at all possible ahead of dark cyan would keep me happy 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

timp , if you beat me on a ss im retired;-)

TimP
    Free Member

You are old enough to retire…

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Just done a skills course there this morning in the rain, it’s really slippery and a few puddles too. Hopefully it’ll get a chance to dry out…..

darkcyan
    Free Member

good old stanmer, 4 weeks of sunshine, 3 days of rain and its a swamp!

Better wet right through though than wet on dry – thats evil.

sounds like the suns on its way though!

darkcyan
    Free Member

Tim – we will all be judged on the day!

You will be fxxxxxed after six hours on the ss.

cant wait!

fizzicist
    Free Member

Training has consisted of 2 weeks power eating in France.

I’ll be on the 29er running a Ralph on the back and Rocket Ron up front. Why? Because that’s what’s on it.

Might bring the Soul in case its a total shitfest.

TimP
    Free Member

Was nearly sick going up summer down last night. This training thing is massively overrated. The beer tent is open all day right?

c_klein87

SS is ok around the Big Dog course, the section over the bridge is quite hard in traffic but its rideable, I’m sure Al from Singular will be racing and chance’s are he’ll podium. The entry looks big this year, seems to have turned into a classic, hopefully the trails can cope with the traffic

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com/

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ve entered singlespeed pairs. I enjoyed the mudfest a few years ago! I’ll chuck on the Spesh storms if it’s wet and enjoy the slides…

darkcyan
    Free Member

Any ideas on who the winner might be. Any past winners shipping up.

weather is now very hot and news is that its drying out quickly.

gee
    Free Member

Ben and I (and I think Tim) are entered again and I hear Isaac (2nd under 23 at Nat Champs) might be coming too. Not sure which cat Al’s doing. Last year it was Ben, Tim, me 1/2/3 but I had some issues with a broken saddle and chainsuck, hopefully now remedied…

mattjg
    Free Member

if it’s dry – my black Yelli Screamy 1×10. If it’s wet, and my mate has space in his van for 2 bikes, my Salsa Selma SS.

tyres Nobby Nics both ends both bikes, fit and forget.

Paceman
    Free Member

darkcyan – Member

Anyone been training specially. what have you done.
    let me know.

Had a little swim in the sea today, and the climb up the hill back into town was tough in my flip flops… my training’s being going great out here in Croatia. At least the carb-loading is going to plan 😀

6hrs solo round Stanmer was gonna hurt either way, at least I’ll be rested. Looking forward to seeing you guys then.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Sounds nice paceman. long steady taper! 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

As per previous note anyone who wants to look at the course few of us setting out from stanmer cafe, 9.00 sunday morning

darkcyan
    Free Member

big dod daily weather check:-(

darkcyan
    Free Member

dog!!!!! 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Has it been raining again?

chiefgrooveguru

Biblical thunderstorm…

darkcyan
    Free Member

what was that critter on ground hog day. was it a goffer?

mattjg
    Free Member

gopher

‘Punxatawny Phil’ IIRC

darkcyan
    Free Member

thats what we need 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

what was that critter on ground hog day. was it a goffer?

on reflection, probably a ground hog!

no idea if that’s the same as a gopher, and I refuse to look it up

darkcyan
    Free Member

Been with the kids all day, roasting by the Pells pool in lewes.

Very boring but the flip side is the trails will be drying up.

Did a scoot around the internet but not that much chatter about Big Dog. I guess there are other things going on in the world.

Like new wheel standards – wonder if there will be any 650b’s at the race.

Also will there be a mystery guest like in some of the previous years.

mattjg
    Free Member

Have put some ridiculously narrow 711mm bars on the bike (it feels like it’s tottering around on high heels), looked up Stanmer Park Tea Rooms on maps, and am intending to join you Sunday AM. That’s the plan anyhoo.

We’re going to be hemmed in by the Surrey Classic here on Sunday so it’ll be an early start before the roads close. I’m not at my best early Sunday mornings …

darkcyan
    Free Member

mattig, see you there at nine. its right at the top of the park. drive in through the main entrance. follow the road all the way up past stanmer house. turn right at the junction and then first left. the t rooms are 100 yards on the left.

m1kea
    Free Member

Chaps, I guess you’ll be out riding for a couple of hours tomorrow?

I’m meeting up with Gribble early on and was wondering whether to try and swing by on my way back from Ebo.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Not sure who the last post was aimed at but i will be in the park till 12.00.

happy to meet up with anyone who comes late.

number is 07813947674.

will check phone during the ride.

lots of other stanmer trails to ride as well as big dog loop.

mattjg
    Free Member

Nick if I can haul my a*** out of bed at 6 on a Sunday, and I don’t get caught in the road closures (bloody roadies!) I’ll be there at 9 ish.

Look for an old dented Saab 900 and a MAMIB (Middle Aged Man in Baggies) on a 29er HT, stealth build. The bike that is not the rider.

Will txt either way. Thx for the directions.

darkcyan
    Free Member

ok will do.

trails will be good as lots of sun today.

cheers nick

rexated
    Free Member

darkcyan et al…..you are doing a great public service…please keep us updated on trail conditions – preferably for all of next week as well 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

.you are doing a great public service…please keep us updated on trail conditions – preferably for all of next week as well

nah you get what you get, chill out & take what comes. was a time I used to get all in a tizzy over snow reports before going skiing, but it was a total waste of time really, it didn’t make any difference!

rexated
    Free Member

nah you get what you get, chill out & take what comes. was a time I used to get all in a tizzy over snow reports before going skiing, but it was a total waste of time really, it didn’t make any difference!

i get your point, but I’ll be travelling 5 hours each way, am pretty skint at the moment, and wouldn’t hugely fancy pushing my racing ralph shod bike around a slidey muckfest for 6 hours getting my rage on 👿

that said the forecast for the next week in the southeast is looking more promising so hopefully all will be rosy…..

mattjg
    Free Member

for sure, I went on the recce ride today (thx Nick), it’s near optimal I’d say, a tiny bit drier but not too much would be perfect

the descent from the top back to the meadow is fun, one of those trails that feels longer on the way down than the climb to get to it

darkcyan
    Free Member

Trails running well. badgers a little greasy but should be good assuming no more rain.

Coldean in reverse is quite brutal – another long climb to deal with.

A little bit of mud hear and there but generally good.

rexated
    Free Member

one of those trails that feels longer on the way down than the climb to get to it

and conditions generally good…

8)

bring it on then!

darkcyan
    Free Member

if the race was today ralphs would be sketchy in a few places but generally ok.

personally i prefer something with a little more grip on the front – but that’s me being cautious.

bit of rear spin on the damp grunty climbs as you go over roots. if its really dry no problem. fingers crossed.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 326 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog 2013 General Chat’ is closed to new replies.