Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Camelbak Forge travel-mug – anyone tried one?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Saw these in GoOutdoors a few weeks ago. They look the business and amazon reviews are favourable wrt to heat retention. In my never-ending quest for a decent travelmug that doesn’t cool down to lukewarm within minutes of leaving the house, one of these might fit the bill.

The only thing is that the lid looks a bit complicated – does it end up getting a bit stinky from drinking coffee/tea with milk and being difficult to clean afterwards?

trail_rat
    Free Member

In true suggest what you got.

have you tried any of the bodum stuff ?

i have their stainless vacumn mug – it works better than my thermos….. if anything i could do with it cooling quicker….

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have one (Camebak), but not had it for long.

It does keep your coffee hot as for quite a while. The lid is easy enough to clean as it opens up fully once removed from the cup.

The lid design itself is a sipper though, not a gulper. Which is just as well when the contents are otter than the sun.

As a rule I don’t get on with these sorts of travel mugs but I am happy with this one.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got one. It keeps the contents hotter than an otter (?) specially if you preheat the vessel. The top keeps clean if you undo the mechanism thingy (press a thingumybob) and stick it in the dishwasher.

Expensive but ace. I had crappy ones before; chalk/cheese + night/day

SaxonRider

I have one, and have had no issues cleaning it. As for heat retention, I almost wish it would cool down a bit quicker, as the I have lost count of the number of times I have scorched my tongue.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I have the non vacuum version which does not keep the heat more than a normal cup. You likely need the vacuum variety for 30 odd quid right?

Mechanism is fine But if you put it in a bag say, and something presses on the mechanism it may leak.

bodgy
    Free Member

Yup, got one, and it’s ace! Easy to clean, totally non spill/leak, keeps my school run hot for hours. Get one! The only downside is that it’s not dishwasher safe

toby1

Got one from TK Maxx, had some scrathes on, applied some BMX stickers, problem solved.

Only been using it for a month or so and tend to use it in the office as opposed to paper cups with plastic lids.

I also tend to use the lid to transport it and then leave the lid off to drink it, as otherwise 10am coffee is still roasting at lunch.

It’s as you’d expect from camelbak, well engineered and looks easy to maintain.

No regrets from me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…30 odd quid right?

Yeah, not far off…around £25 on amazon.

The only downside is that it’s not dishwasher safe

This is what I wondered as the Camelbak website says, “The lid won’t collect grime, either—just pop up the arms for easy cleaning in the sink or dishwasher.”

stumpy01

As an alternative suggestion, you can’t go wrong with a Contigo travel mug for this kind of thing.
    Mine keeps drinks hot for hours – so much so that if I’ve working in the garage, I’ll quite often take the lid off, as it won’t cool in time for me to drink normally with the lid on.

This seems like a good price for one.

http://www.dunelm.com/product/contigo-west-loop-matt-black-1000084421?cm_mmc=pla_google-_-PLA%20-%20GS%20-%20Cook%20-%20LIA-_-New%20Cook%20-%20New-_-keyword&gclid=COWPlLmchdICFcmT7Qod5pwDqw

vondally
    Free Member

We have 2 both from tk maxx £16.00, nuclear warmth retention and easy to clean, recommend

bodgy
    Free Member

Ah, yes, the main cup can’t go in the dishwasher, but the lid can. TBH, I just hand wash both. The closure mechanism pops up once you’ve removed the lid, so you can get into the corners and spout bit.

I bought the matt black one. It now has a Charlie The Bikemonger “I brake for cake” sticker, too!

EDIT – another consideration: if you get the big tall one it doesn’t fit into a lot of commercial coffee machines (Costa, Waitrose etc.) I tend to make my own cafetière weapons grade coffee anyway, so doesn’t bother me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No heated cup holder?

Oh, the humanity!

Pyro

Have two of them and they’re grand. As said, the main cup isn’t dishwasher-safe, but the lid is. Easy enough to pop the mechanism, pop the lid in the washer and hand wash the cup. Never had it leak in a bag, the button for the mechanism is smallish (finger size) and fairly well protected. Only complain I’ve had is that the drinking hole is fairly small, a higher flow rate would be nice sometimes, but that’s being really, really picky. Insulation is good enough for it to still be drinkable after 4 hours sitting in my transition bag on an adventure race and also 3 hours sat in the front of my kayak on a Scottish river in December. Under ‘normal’ use, my coffee doesn’t last that long…

Stoner
    Free Member

DD,

dont splash the cash.

These, from Morrisons. £4

Just fantastic. If anything too good at keeping the heat in, you have to leave the flip lid open for a while to let the coffee cool down a bit.

Easy to clean, safe catch on the lid lock so no risk of spills. I have a couple here and one out there.

See countzero review on this thread
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/insulated-travel-mugs-that-actually-keep-things-hot/page/2

Here’s a link to the model on eBay for those that live in posh areas too far from a Morrisons and happy to pay twice as much for one 🙂
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350ML-Flip-Top-Vaccum-Travel-Bike-Flask-/292023973564

iainc

there was one reviewed on here a while back, fits into a bottle cage, Trail ? something ? I bought one and while it’s fine on the odd occasion I may take it on the bike, it’s not got a secure opening, as I found out with it having dumped itself on my car seat twice. A small flip top thing…

somafunk

Stoners flask above appears to be a copy of the £18 thermos flask i use when out clearing my trails, i can throw it in my trail tools duffbag and hours later it is still lip burning hot, more importantly it doesn’t leak at all.

Stoner
    Free Member

they do look identical really. Same construction methods of hinges and clips etc.

I guess its a Chinese factory product with different QC and routes to market

http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/store/Thermos-Direct-Drinks-Flask-0-47L-Stainless-Steel/sp_887

somafunk

I feel a bit of a mug (boom-tish) for spending £18

Wahay!…i did a joke. 😉

Pyro

Wahay!…i did a joke. 😉

“Moves upstage, waits for audience applause… Not a sausinge.”
    – Bluebottle, 1950-something

johnnystorm

I’ve got one of the Morrison’s ones. Has lasted longer than my Trail42 mug but the lid mechanism wears and it’s just a bit too easy to pop the lid open now to be trusted to put in a bag. IT was only 4 quid of course.

joshvegas
    Free Member

one of these.

I got for christmas its great burned myself more than once a good hour after making it.

Its hold upside down and shake leak proof. You dont have to play hunt the mouth piece either whicb is nice when driving.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wow people still drinking their morning Joe at lunch time? Wtf, I’ve had 2 or 3 espressos before I’ve left the house!

Recently bought one if those “you can’t knock it over” cups. Doesn’t keep the drink hot. I also had a Contigi non spill which has a button to press. Does a fab job keeping drinks hot but the lid traps fluids in and is a bugger to clean.

We’ve got instant hot water at work. Got a plunger. Works about the best for me. Plus, looks good in meetings when everyone else is drinking instant!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Forge travel-mug – anyone tried one?’ is closed to new replies.