• This topic has 58 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Insulated travel mugs that actually keep things hot?
  • Marge
    Free Member

Contigo is excellent.
    Keeps coffee hot for too long if anything. If you fill with a freshly made hot drink it remains too warm to consumer for best part of 30mins…

stumpy01

mr_average – Member
    Do any of them fit a bike bottle cage? Mrs Average would like to cycle to the station with hot tea.

molgrips – Member

Do any of them fit a bike bottle cage? Mrs Average would like to cycle to the station with hot tea.

I’ve been through this research process. Generally no they do not. I have a ‘short’ sized (8 fl oz) one from Starbucks that fits into a Specialized plastic bottle cage, but that’s not a big enough drink to last a long train journey. And that particular cup was plastic and not that good.. and it broke…

There’s a Trek bottle cage and cup combo that fits on the Soho bike – they apparently have been available separately but possibly not any more as nowhere had stock when I checked. The cup’s not that great either, I think it’s plastic insides.

The Contigo one does. molgrips asked about this a while ago and I think I said that if he wanted, I would try mine and take some pics, but never got a response.
    I was in the garage a while after and remembered that I hadn’t tried it, so did and it fitted fine into a Specialized Rib Cage. Fitted really well in fact. I did take some photo’s, but God knows where they are (they’ll be in one of my many ‘waiting to sort out’ folders!

I will try and dig them out and post them this evening.

This is the one I have:

I got the green one, but should have got the plain stainless steel one. The coloured ones aren’t dishwasher safe, whereas the plain stainless steel one is.

molgrips
    Free Member

I said that if he wanted, I would try mine and take some pics, but never got a response.

Ah.. sorry.. forgot about that!

stumpy01

S’alright. Just meant I didn’t bother doing it, until the next time I was in the garage and had the mug with me. Like I say, the pics are on my ‘pooter somewhere. I will endeavour to dig them out!

trail_rat
    Free Member

stu – bodum doesnt fit the cup holder in the peugeot.

fits in my vauxhall though.

mr_average
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like Contigo will fit the bill as it gets a general thumbs up on this thread too.

STL

No need for insulated mugs with these:

Joulies

Co-irker with expensive tastes (and a slightly over the top analytical sensibility) swears that they do exactly what they say on the tin.

STL

singlespeedstu

Just in case anyone has an octavia and is thinking of getting a bodum mug.
    It fits in the center rear holder but not the center front holders.

Worked great for taking advantage of the free drinks machine at the factory i visited today too. 🙂

ac505
    Free Member

Contigo ordered, thanks all.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I find I have to make my coffee and let it cool without the lid on for about 5-10 mins before I leave otherwise it stays too hot to drink. Oh and coffee always seems to taste better than tea, which I find stews a bit in a travel mug or is that just my poor preparation!?

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Get the Kleen Kanteen on the previous page. Comes with a leakproof top, fits in a bottle cage for the ride to the station, switch to the sippy top when I get there. Contents normally still dangerously hot by the time I get to the office, 90 minutes later.

stumpy01

Found the pics of the Contigo….

That’s a Spesh Rib Cage and it fits nice & snug.
    The Contigo seals watertight so it can go in any orientation and nothing will spill out. Mine won’t fit in the cup holder in my car, so I put it in the space between the seat and the door on it’s side and it’s never leaked. Just have to be careful when you pick it up you don’t squeeze the button.

peajay

My wife got a Bodum one a couple of weeks ago and nice as it is she can’t get the lid to stay on, I would guess it may have been over tightened once and now it won’t stay put, so be careful it may be the weak spot in an otherwise good design.

Stoner
    Free Member

PSA Bump

Morrisons seem to have some stock of their “On the go flask”. Just picked up another one. £4. Same one PePPer refers to earlier.

Best insulated flask Ive owned. However, while it does “fit” in a bottle cage, it’s not a snug fit. You might want to consider wrapping it in an inner tube for example to stop it rattling.

CountZero

Well, after reading through this thread, and weighing up the options, I thought I’d pop into Morrison’s yesterday afternoon and have a shufti at the travel flask Stoner posted up. Looked good, only four squids against sixteen to twenty-odd, what’s to lose.
    Tried it this morning, made up some tea in a jug, heated the flask and put the tea in, this at 7.40am.
    Finished the last dregs, still quite warm, at 10.20am, made another, and that I finished, again last dregs, still warm enough to be drinkable, at 2.00pm! Most of the time the drink was too hot to do more than sip, thus lasting such a long time. Colour me bloody impressed!
    Going to get another one, in fact I might get a couple, just in case, because at that price they’re a steal.
    I did have a though re: fitting into a bike cage; get a large capacity water bottle, cut the top off, and stand the flask in the centre of the water bottle, and fill with expanding foam, then you could just pull the flask out of the bottle, leaving it secure when riding. Just a thought.
    Great flask/travel mug, thanks for the heads-up, really chuffed with mine, thanks all!
    😀

tron
    Free Member

OK, so these mugs keep things hot, but do they make the coffee taste strange, and do they drip coffee down your shirt?

I’ve got a ceramic travel mug with a silicone lid at the minute. No taste, but it does like to drip coffee all over the place…

CountZero

Tron, nope, and nope. The Morissons one is all stainless steel, the only plastic is the lid, and the lip bit where you drink from, doesn’t drip. Certainly the two lots of tea I had in mine today only differed in the make of bags used, which changed the taste slightly, otherwise, just tasted of milky tea.
    Four quid? Absolute bargain.

Stoner
    Free Member

superb! 🙂

I think I said in the earlier post, if I make a coffee brew, I have to leave the lid open for a long time until its cooled enough to drink 🙂

Nick

If it wont fit into a bottle cage securely then try one of these

http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/product/monkii-cage-bicycle-bottle-cage/#.UwvlCs5vbsl

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Insulated travel mugs that actually keep things hot?’ is closed to new replies.