Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Camber Evo / Stumpy Evo 29
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Alright chaps,

Nipped over to Cannock at the weekend for the Specialized demo day, was good fun and managed to get out for a spin on the Camber Evo which seems a really nice bit of kit, really liked the big wheels but It didn’t actually feel like a big wheeled bike if you get my drift, loads of corner grip and seemed nice and fast.

Anyway, I had to leave before getting a chance to test a stumpy, and since then I have found one of the 2015 models for £1750, albeit at t’other end of the country so would be mail order purchase from said bike shop.

I’m a bit torn, will the 140mm Stumpy be more cumbersome and harder to ride (as in throw into corners etc) than the 120mm Camber?

I’m only about 173kg and just over 5’9, the big wheels on the Camber didn’t cause me any issues and felt fairly chuckable, just don’t want to be underbiked on the away days (peaks, wales, etc)

That’s a good price on the Stumpy though 😐

Any riders of either bike that can shed some light would be much appreciated.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Did the same thing a few weeks ago. Plumped for the camber evo just and had great first ride last night. I thought it would be an easy decision but the stumpy evo was bloody good too and not a bad climber. Really tough to call but wanted a faster bike for longer rides too. I think I would enjoy both but am a little closer to an XC rider that a big balls out one needing lots of air!

Having said that took a few jumps tend drops in last night that I would normally avoid.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The best comparison I can give is my experience with my own Stumpy 29er and my 26er Camber. I’ve not ridden the 29er Camber, sadly.

The (26er) Camber feels long in the top tube, low and slack in the classic Specialized way, it’s a bit of a terrier and never feels out of it’s depth. It’s a bike you sit in rather than on (like the Stumpy) and is pretty wieldy – I certainly never felt the short travel to be an issue, I can only imagine that the larger wheels further mitigate this.

The Stumpy is a superbly balanced bike. Slippery mud betrays the handing traits of any bike that decent rubber might otherwise mask, so I was very pleased to note that my Stumpy will two-wheel drift easily and without any snappiness to it. It’s the only 29er I’ve ever ridden, so comparison will be difficult but FWIW I immediately gelled with it.

The 2015 Stumpy frame is actually a pretty old design, dating back to 2012 and it shows with the dropper cable routing and the mud clearance both being below par. Geometry-wise it feels a little short in the top tube (note that the Spesh Command Post has a good 20mm layback) and there’s absolutely no disguising the fact that the front end is tall, even with an integrated headset. This tall front end isn’t as bothersome on the climbs as you might think, however.

If you want me to choose between the two, TBH it’s very difficult. If it were my money tomorrow, it would come down to the best deal on either bike.

Sorry if that’s not much help but I don’t think you’ll lose either way.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers both,

I’ve seen a few vids of the Camber evo (mbr review) where the rider is doing a fair bit more than I can at the moment (nice air), although I do like to smash my current c456 through the rocks in the peaks.

I suppose there is nothing stopping a slightly longer travel fork going on the camber evo if need be, seems to have a low bb to begin with and I don’t think it would be to detrimental to the overall geo.

Must admit I really love the look of the Camber and the frame is a thing of beauty up close, really nice joins.

Mmmmm

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was surprised by the deal I got, so timing looks good although some models (XL) starting to sell out apparently. Colour looks better in the flesh.

Yes the video they show is well beyond me too!

FWIW, I fitted a reverb and was still below RRP.

scandal42
    Free Member

Evans trade in?

Was going to plump for some cahsback as well, not sure if it will process on top of the trade in but worth a try.

Reverb is on the list of immediate purchases

thegreatape
    Free Member

I hope your weight is a typo?

devash
    Free Member

I’ve not tried the 2015 Camber but I’ve demoed the 2014 Evo which I think is essentially the same and it was a sorted ride. Specialized seem to pay a lot of attention on the finishing kit (wide bars, short stem, wide rims, decent tyres) so the bike rides great straight out of the box.

I too own a Camber 26er which geometry and travel-wise is basically a 2009 Stumpy, very long and very low. Fast up and fast down. Still a great frame if you can get hold of the 2012 Expert with the tapered head tube and bolt-thru rear. The 29er Camber is a different ride though. Feels much shorter in the top tube and higher in the reach (might have been the 50mm stem that came on the demo bike however). I’m not sure which one I preferred more.

rene59
    Free Member

I’m only about 173kg and just over 5’9

Are you sure? 😯

I tried both the Camber 29er and the Stumpy 29er and went for the Stumpy. I didn’t notice that much of a difference in agility/cumbersomeness between the two. Its by far the best bike I have ever had or used. Whether on an all day xc ride or an hours blast round some technical trails it has never felt like too much or too little of bike. I have done quite a few munros on it also.

It really is a great all rounder and I am glad I went with it. The Camber was great too. If I could have afforded two bikes I would have probably bought an Enduro 29er and a Camber 29er. But I couldn’t so got the Stumpy instead and haven’t regretted it one bit.

cokie

It’s okay, he’s only 173KG.

fathomer

I’ve not ridden either but you’re at least as capable as me going down (not that I’m quick) and I manage alright with 130 front / 125mm rear with old fashioned 26″ wheels.

ks562
    Free Member

Other half has had the 2015 Camber Evo since February and loves it. He hasn’t tried the 29er stumpy so can’t help you decide between the two but prefers it hugely to his cotic sould (26inch) and Mondraker Foxy XR (650b).

He’s ridden it everywhere from long Lakes days out to the Inners uplift and the off piste stuff around the Tweed valley and has found it more than capable. Downside was the wheel bearings on both the demo bike (from spesh) and the one he bought went after two rides so he bought a new wheelset pretty much straight off (he tried fixing but same happened again and wanted reliable wheels!) plus a reverb so that’s an extra cost there for you to consider.

scandal42
    Free Member

😯 No, certainly more Laurel than Hardy

Appreciate the replies, well most of them 😀

That is reassuring Sam, I was going to ask you what suspension figures you were running to give me a yardstick so to speak.

KS562

Very reassuring post, just the thing I was hoping to hear, well apart from the hub issue, I must say that it’s a shame as the rims at 29mm internal look fantastic for a stock option.

shortcut

I have owned both – last April I purchased a Stumpy Evo. Great bike. Really confidence inspiring. In December after entering BC Bike race I purchased a Camber Evo in the spirit of reducing weight and going quicker. I still have the Camber and just love it. Just as confident as the stumpy just a bit quicker on the climbs, more xc and all around great for me.

I’ve done xc races, trail centres etc all fine.

scandal42
    Free Member

Sweet, cheers

Just thinking about sizing, if you don’t mind me asking what size do you ride and how tall are you?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

6’1″ and ride large. Also tested the XL and felt fine (oddly)

shortcut

6’2 large wouldn’t want to be much taller on a large though.

scandal42
    Free Member

Seems a medium is the way to go, I’m 177cm roughly, 75mm stem seems long though so didn’t know whether sizing up and going shorter should be done but if people 6’+ are riding large then it’s more than likely too big.

deanfbm
    Free Member

5’9″ size large, 50mm stem.

Bike is ace, bmxer, into jumping, bike jumps great. Goes flat out in rough stuff very nicely, prefer it to the dh bike on any of the local “dh” stuff. I use it for xc throught to sessioning “dh” tracks and doing big jumps.

Stiff, fun, fast. I really dont know what, if anything the stumpy would actually be better for.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers Dean

Going to have to see if I can get a sit on a large to see what it’s like I think.

I’m liking the versatility of the Camber Evo, seems ideal for my away days in the peaks etc but also like it would be good fun in the more local woods if I didn’t fancy riding the HT.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Obviously we all have new bike fever, but my first ride in local woods on Sunday night was a completely different experience – ok bigger change from old 26 HT to the camber evo – but the fun factor was off the scale. Out of the box, it felt perfect. Still smiling now

ks562
    Free Member

Just saw this:

“I’m liking the versatility of the Camber Evo, seems ideal for my away days in the peaks etc but also like it would be good fun in the more local woods if I didn’t fancy riding the HT”

– very true! The poor cotic hasn’t been ridden since!

Also size wise, other half is 6ft 1 and decided on a 50m stem with 800 bars (now cutting them down to 760 after his trips to the golfie…

PJM1974
    Free Member

FWIW, 5′ 11″ in my socks and running a large Camber and a large Stumpy.

Note – Errata from my earlier post: The Camber is a bike you sit on, the Stumpy is a bike you sit in.

Hope that makes sense.

chrismac

I own the carbon evo camber 29 and its amazing. Im having a dilema with it because Im off to the alps in the summer which it wont cope with so was thinking about the stumpy. I did ride that at the demo last weekend and wasnt as blown away as I expected. I think the bew 650b version is a big improvement but the 29 didnt feel much better, and all the talk of the glovebox on the downtube is feeling abit like a gimik to deflect from the fact that the 29er hasnt changed.

Im left with a dilema as to do I change the camber for a stumpy and do everything including the alps on it. Or keep the camber and then do what for the alps??? Cheap secondhand something? In a perfect world I would have the camber and the enduro but thats too much $$$$$

STATO
    Free Member

Im left with a dilema as to do I change the camber for a stumpy and do everything including the alps on it. Or keep the camber and then do what for the alps??? Cheap secondhand something? In a perfect world I would have the camber and the enduro but thats too much $$$$$

given how much money you would likely have to spend switching to an enduro, buy a second hand DH bike for the alps, and sell on return if you dont want to keep it.

Mark

here’s what our Sim thinks of the Camber Evo http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/specialized-camber-evo/

scandal42
    Free Member

Could you not Stumpify the Camber for the trip? 🙂

chrismac

STATO Im going on a lift/van assissted trail trip not a downhilling trip so need to be able to pedal it uphill

scandal42 – Thats an idea.Forks are easy suggestions for the back?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Just bought a 2015 Camber Evo a month ago. Its bloody marvellous!

scandal42
    Free Member

can I ask size info rumbledethumps,

Struggling to find a store with large stock to sit on, medium felt good but noticed slight offset on the seat post so dropper will push me forward and possibly want a shorter stem.

charliemort

why wouldn’t it cope with the alps?

slackman99
    Free Member

Scandal, leisure lakes in Daventry have a large in store

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers,

Also found one at rutland cycling in Whitwell so might pop over on Saturday and take the road bike for a spin round Rutland water area.

I’m sure a large would work in the reach dep’t but with only 31′ inside leg it may be too tall.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I am 6ft, 31″ inside leg and ride a L with a 50mm stem and a 740 bar.

Station Cycles in Cambridge have a L you could try.

maxtorque

charliemort
    why wouldn’t it cope with the alps?

This^^^

Unless you planning on spending the entire time riding ‘Park’ at max attack i think it’ll be fine. Fit some sensibly strong tyres and away you go!

latham2104
    Free Member

If it helps, i have just pressed the button on a Camber Evo. I have been hovering over the ‘buy it’ button for weeks and this thread convinced me to do so. Went with the Evans Trade In (childs bike rusting in the shed got me £250 off 😀 ).

I’m hoping it will be the bike that satisfies 100% of the riding i do – Chiltern XC, Welsh Trail Centers – without too much of the compromise.

Now – if anyone is interested in a Mondraker Foxy R drop me a line 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

Sweet, enjoy the new wheels 😀

What size did you go with and how tall are you?

latham2104
    Free Member

6 foot 1. Went with a large.

stuker
    Free Member

South Downs bikes have some ex demo 2015 Stumpys on for a good price

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/blog/ex-demo-bikes/

scandal42
    Free Member

They were the reason I was struggling to decide on the bike, good deals there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Camber Evo / Stumpy Evo 29’ is closed to new replies.