Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Calibre Dune Owners Club (tightfisted Northerners)
  • emac65
    Free Member

Messaged Calibre on their FB page, they replied very quickly.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Messaged Calibre on their FB page, they replied very quickly.

Thanks!
    Great.
    😉

sniff
    Free Member

Still loving mine. Haven’t got round to changing over to the winter tyres yet.

Mike Sanderson from Calibre bikes was really helpful getting me mine on the original thread. Not sure if he still visits the forum.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Like the picture.

The dog likes the Dune as well…
    Great.
    😉

Splash-man
    Free Member

I contacted Mike Sanderson directly via his email and he was brilliant at sorting me out when I had my frame issue.
    I found a FBF made a huge difference on the front. Lost all of the self steer and gained loads of grip.

I must admit I’ve just taken delivery of a Kona Wo…..

NormalMan

@ sniff
    Nothing to add to the thread other than saying how much I like that picture. Great stuff.

sniff
    Free Member

😀

We are in the process of adopting the dog so just getting him used to being out on the bike. He’s definitely a keeper.

ThePinkster

He looks a mighty fine hound.

Would it be worth me considering picking up a 2nd hand Dune then?
    Is it likely that the ones that might have broken will now have done so?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Would it be worth me considering picking up a 2nd hand Dune then?

Most definitely worth getting one. Best fun ive had in years on mine.
    Best check the chainstay / BB weld as this seems to be the problem area, caused by chain suck generally I believe.
    Thats where mine went.

ThePinkster

Cheers Splash-man, could well be another +1 for the garage if I can find one to do up.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’ve still got the broken frame in the garage as a starting point !

kayak23

Nice blast out on the Dune today. Pretty hard going with trodden slush turned to ice and started going slushy again.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22XnApZ]Ice ice baby. December 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22UM2YC]Ice ice baby. December 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

It turns out that sheet ice laying on top of gravel can be quite slippy…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/EPR8F5]Ice ice baby. December 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

bloody machine.
    Such a Dune…

Is this SUNSHINE / blue sky on these pictures?

Last sunshine was – let me think – 2012?

Mugboo

The standard Dune chainrings seem to cause an issue with chainsuck which leads to gouges which may lead to the problem. I swapped mine to 1x before riding so fingers crossed.

k1100t
    Free Member

Tried one of these at the weekend in the Ipswich store, I will now be buying one as soon as I can. Turns out Go Outdoors at 10% off full price items till Thursday, so currently ~£522 is you get the ~£580 in store discount card price.

Mugboo

You won’t regret it but budget for new tyres, some deore brakes and change the chainrings or go 1x before you ride it. They are easily bent and those gouges from chainsuck can cause problems later.

takisawa2

If you know a Scout Leader /Assistant, you can get 15% off. 😉

k1100t
    Free Member

@Mugboo thanks for the tips, although I fear that finances wont stretch to all of that before I even ride the thing. I was looking at upgrading to the Clark M3 hydraulic brakes a month after buying the bike. The month after that, would probably be the start of the x1 upgrade, might take a few months to get all the money together though. I have no idea about what x1 systems are compatible, or what tyres are good for byways and bridleways, so lots of reading going on…

@takisawa2 I do know a couple of Scout leaders (I was one myself in the dim distant past), but probably not well enough to cadge their discount card…

Splash-man
    Free Member

Swapping the chain ring is the single most important thing as far as I’m concerned.
    The rings supplied cause chain suck which in turn damages the chain-stay leading to the potential crack issues.

The brakes can wait unless you going to the Alps, but you look to be in East Anglia !

The tyres aren’t bad either unless you are in really deep mud.

Enjoy 🙂

k1100t
    Free Member

@Splash-man I am indeed in East Angular, but live in one of the highest villages in South Cambridgeshire; the altitude can be debilitating at times…

k1100t
    Free Member

For some reason, the rest of that post, didn’t post. Does this forum not like emojis…?

So I should sort out the front chainset first then? OK, given that I’ve just found out my Sister-in-law has a Scout Leader Go Outdoors discount card, that’s doable. What do people recommend? Does any old chainset fit, or do I need a fat specific one? Will I need to get a clutch rear derailleur? Time to do a bit more reading…

grenosteve
    Free Member

Just put a 30t N/W chainring on it, and take the front mech off if you’re worried about the chain suck issue.

I’ve left mine 2x and the chain suck has stopped now (about 200 km on the bike). Got to admit, now I’ve got 4.8 minions front and back, that 22t granny ring is a god send around here!

Amazon is good for cheap tyres, think the FBF and FBR I’m running where £45 each. They made the bike handle like a normal bike too, and where a big improvement over the juggernauts for me.

Awesome bike, enjoy it!

k1100t
    Free Member

@grenosteve it had crossed my mind to stick a NW on the inside, a bash guard on the outside, and a k-edge chain catcher on the derailleur mount. I’m sure that would be cheapest and keep me going until I could afford to replace it all when it wears out. Thanks for the tip on the tyres, was shocked how expensive some of them were…

Mugboo

I think you could just swap the existing chain rings for shimano ones and keep the standard cranks. Do you want me to have a hunt round the garage and see what rings I have?

mugbooatgmaildotcom

Leave the brakes for the moment and swap the tyres if you have problems. I knew I would be selling the tyres so didn’t want to ride them. And join Uk Fat Bike Club on Facebook

k1100t
    Free Member

@Mugboo thanks for the offer, but I have a big box of bits in the shed, and the hardtail will be retiring, so bits shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t do Facebook, but tried to sign up to some UK Fat Bike forum thing, assuming it’s dead though, as I didn’t hear anything.

I slogged through all 60 pages of the Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k? thread, tempted to wait for the mythical Dune V2 now…

Mugboo

I think the FB group has probably killed the forum.

Now that there are less companies selling fat bikes I can’t see Go Outdoors rushing to knock out a MK2 as there is very little competition.

If your’re not bothered about new just keep your eye out for a 2nd hand one. My mate recently bought an On One Fatty for £400, it was mint and well specced.

Or a Fatty Trail if you fancy a Bluto?

Certainly £500 second hand buys you a decent fatbike but a mate on FB might help.

k1100t
    Free Member

@Mugboo judging by the stock levels showing on the website, I doubt they’re going to run out anytime soon, just wishful thinking. I’ve been keeping a beady eye out on Gumtree and what not, but most bikes listed are too big for me. Hoping to be in a position to actually buy one in the middle of February…

NormalMan

The forum is still active. It needs a mod to authorise so may be try again. The forum is quieter than when I first joined but it still has active members.

Also being able to search some of the historic threads is very useful imho.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

The on one fatty was a right deal clean and tidy frame with carbon forks reverb nice wide bars short stem and the rest is standard stuff and all for £411 on eBay .I love it .I go looking for mud to find just to climb up stuff including never ride this time of year .
    I’m getting quicker on it and no plans to change the carbon forks for suspension .
    There is some cracking fattys on eBay for circa 600 just make sure you view it first if you can

Northwind

2 fantastic rides at the weekend on mine. It’s making some sort of crunching noise which is either me neglecting the drivetrain, or the frame cracking, so I’m ignoring it 😆

Weirdly the 4.8 JJ seems to be grippier in pisted snow than the 4.8 minion fbf, did not expect that- I know neither is really a snow tyre but in every other unsticky situtaion the FBF is massively grippier. Maybe it’s the littler knobs biting harder

yakboy

Hi,

I’m considering a fat bike in my stable as I ride Dalby and the North York moors all year round and the winter is slowly killing by canyon strive. The Dune looks like an excellent starting point (as I would want to make it 1x, add a dropper and eventually a Bluto). Could anybody tell me if the freehub on the dune witt accept a 10 or 11 speed cassette. And also has anybody on here got one for sale (although I think they are a bargain new, just would feel bad about swapping out so many new components). Thanks in advance.

tomhoward

*cough* if you’re going to be swapping a load of bits anyway….

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-fat-frame-and-bits-job-lot-bluto/

k1100t
    Free Member

So it appears that I’m finally allowed to cash the Xmas cheque, so a Dune will finally be mine! Shame this didn’t happen last month so I could’ve ridden it in the recent snow, anyway… I was considering one of these BLACK by Absoluteblack Narrow Wide Oval Single Chainrings (104mm 32t), to convert it immediately to x1, unless there’s a better option?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The PX/OO narrow wides are currently £15, plus there is 20% off Superstar (who have oval n/w) ones, making them a few squids under 30.

k1100t
    Free Member

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at Thanks for the heads up! I’m not so wedded to idea of an oval, that I don’t want to save £15…

sibot
    Free Member

Had some good fun over the winter on my Dune wearing Maxxis Colossus, but now it’s allegedly coming into the less-wet season I thought I’d speed it up by putting a pair of JJ 4.8s on. Are any of you running these in the newer Addix speedgrip version? At 7psi in the back I have a baw hairs worth of clearance to the daft knob on the seatstay bridge, after removing the bolt. Do the older versions have more clearance? Do I need to go softer (170lbs ish in riding gear)? Should I just skid it up a bit to wear the centre knobs down :)?

k1100t
    Free Member

Finally!

Calibre Dune

k1100t
    Free Member

Calibre Dune First Ride

Took it out for its first proper ride this morning, I can see this will take a bit of getting used to, the Q Factor is bonkers, for starters. The pedals are shit, the grips are shit, the brakes are at least better than the v-brakes on my old hardtail, so that’s a plus. I think I can definitely run the tyres at a lower pressure and will try and convert the rear to tubeless this evening.

The list of upgrade is getting quite long… 🤣

NormalMan

That’s a great picture.

Have a good play around with the tyre pressures. It was good fun when I first got a fat bike.

kayak23

Yo. Does anyone know if you can get a replacement bottom bracket like for like?

Mines creaking like a mofo but I can’t afford to replace the whole crankset just now.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Dune Owners Club (tightfisted Northerners)’ is closed to new replies.