Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cake baking advice – what will happen if I…?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…add a large blob of Nutella along the top of a banana loaf – after it's been in the oven for 10 minutes or so? Will it..

a) Collapse the entire loaf, turning it into a squashed (but pleasantly chewy) amalgamated mess of Nutella and banana loaf?
    b) Allow the nutella to be subsumed into the interior of the loaf, thereby creating a satisfying 'nutella core' that hovers magically in the centre of the banana loaf
    c) Something else entirely not nice

😛

mogrim

c, with a as an outside possibilty.

Photos?

scaredypants

d) explode, covering you in superheated chocobanana napalm ?
    e) implode, eventually returning the universe to a singularity ?

john_drummer
    Free Member

f) turn into a giant **** squirrelpoo of a hazelnut

bassspine
    Free Member

I'd guess a)
    although b) sounds good
    let us know, sounds yummy

izakimak
    Free Member

Probably a)

try heating the nutalla and drizzling it over the warm loaf when it comes out if the oven.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There's a specific gadget for hollowing out bananas to fill with chocolate for such cakes.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Awesome..! I shall report back with the results.. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

could you not pour half the mix in add nutella add half the mix. The banna should be able to support this as it is not a standard spongecake. Given this I dont think it will sink into your cake

molgrips
    Free Member

You could make a tubular mould out of something then fill it with nutella and put it in the fridge, thereby making a nutella sausage that's easy to handle. Then you could embed the sausage in the middle of the mix before baking.

Or, you could just put the jar of nutella in the fridge or even freezer, then scoop it out and make a sausage by hand.

You might be better off with two smaller sausages like a pain au chocolat, it'd be less likely to sink that way.

theotherjonv

Try it, what's the worst, etc.

I suspect from having watched the wife bake flavoured breads that it may melt and trickle through too readily. I predict the structure of Banana loaf will be bready enough to support solid particles but the Nutella might go too liquid.

Maybe get a bar of wholenut instead, crush it up and add that?

If either work, please send me a slice – it sounds great.

molgrips
    Free Member

You coudl divide the mix in half, blend nutella in one of the halves, then swirl the two back together very briefly before baking, for a marble cake effect.

silvermatt
    Free Member

I would guess b)

Having made several nutella cakes they are alsways disapointing. The nutella never melts and just stays as a big blob that sinks to the botom of the tin. Can be quite nice sometimes but also sickly. It probably needs warming up first so its quite runny when combined with the rest of the mixture.

Unless you have loads of nutella to use up try adding choc chips and crushed hazelnuts to the raw mixture next time to get the same taste.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cake baking advice – what will happen if I…?’ is closed to new replies.