Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 197 total)
  • Mint Sauce to Singletrack Petition
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd love to ride in Mint Sauce world, it would be a colouful day out.

I quite like the world I imagine we have…

AndyRT
    Free Member

The words you see scribbled, are usually lyrics. I actually like the bitter sweet sentiment, and I can't count the number of times riding buddies have suddenly realised their freedom pass is about to expire and they have to amble back to the car and check back in with reality.

But the cartoon is not anti family or anti anything, it just seems to capture our sport perfectly. Especially if you know the South Downs Way on a windless summers day.

Jenga
    Free Member

Seems to be designed for those who think that Coronation Street presents an intellectual challenge.

yunki
    Free Member

phillistines

ooOOoo
    Free Member

A lot of good reasons here why it wouldn't work in ST.

wwaswas

I think that Simon's adopted one of his 'I don't get it and nothing you can say will make me' stances perhaps we should all just move along and find another thread?

My favourite thing about Mint is how Jo seems to rip the p*ss out of what one might call the 'core' MBUK readerships chosen riding styles most months and yet it still gets printed.

This months 'shore' strip seemed to sum up my thoughts and fears every time I do something vaguely challenging 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think that Simon's adopted one of his 'I don't get it and nothing you can say will make me'

by no means, I'm trying hard, and have read about 10 different strips, but am none the wiser. I would love to be able to get them, and in any case I never adopt the suggested position, except about hifi, homeopathy & the 'soul' in metalwork…

AndyRT
    Free Member

I have been having similar thoughts, especially the one about the gnarly down hill, and waiting for the uplift…that was class art!

My favourite of all time is this. I had the sticker of mint and the revolver on my '96 P7.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

😛

aracer
    Free Member

Went and dug out my old MTB magazines last night to have a look at the Mints (well I was also seeing if I could find a Bow-Ti review 😉 ) – first one I ever bought was March 1994, where Mint is washing his bike in the bath to his girlfriend's disgust (with a clever punchline). Shows how things don't change as that (and another one about buying expensive bikes) seem really relevant today – if anything I probably get them more now than back then.

I'm actually slightly surprised sfb has so much trouble – I'd have thought a lot of the themes were right up his street. Though enjoying JoB's subtle digs 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Ah, "the eternal reek of damp wool". A classic MS quote if ever there was one 😉

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I'd forgotten how much I loved MS, pity I threw out all my old MBUKs when I moved out from my folks.

A book would be great.

I actually cried when they did the strip with Mint getting shot.

I seem to remember if you could spot which song the lyrics in the cartoon came from you used to win a prize too.

elliptic
    Free Member

SFB, if you don't get Mint that's fair enough but you must realise comments like:

those who claim to are just pretending?

…do tend to get people's backs up.

Anyway, this is one of my favourites:

Nick

Why are so many people trying to explain MS to Simon? It doesn't float his boat, so what.

aracer
    Free Member

you must realise comments like…

Of course he does – why do you think he makes them? New round here?

akira

Apparently it's all based on Blade Runner anyway.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why are so many people trying to explain MS to Simon?

because I asked them to ?

you must realise comments like…

I posed it as a question because I don't know.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If M.S is not to his liking maybe my 5 page article on the Montane Kielder 100 in this month's MBUK might be more to his taste!

(Have trumpet: will play)

cookeaa

Are there people who still buy What is effectively the Worst cycling publication on earth, just for a single page cartoon?

I couldn’t give a shit where, or even If it gets published anymore , Mint sauce is what it is, a page of wistful Navel gazing for people who like to think they can see the profound in the Mundane…
    It used to “Speak to me” then I turned 15…
    It belongs in the “Comic” where it currently resides IMHO…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

wistful Navel gazing for people who like to think they can see the profound in the Mundane…
    It used to “Speak to me” then I turned 15…
    It belongs in the “Comic” where it currently resides IMHO…

Enough of the bitterness, it's blinding you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

not the slightest flicker of comprehension

Simon, you're not that dumb.

"It's not mother nature, it's her 18 year old daughter"

Do you really need me to strip it down to a basic explanation a primary school child can understand?
    You, of all people, should see the sentiment in that. Which is partly why I chose that strip as an example.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what intrigues me is that many seem to have found MS iconic and to epitomise MTB, yet others like me just turned the page, regretfully unmoved.

DezB
    Free Member

Next issue – Mint gets his camera out and takes pictures of women's arses.
    Would you get that one SFB?

Lionheart
    Free Member

I feel on many days I live in a Mint Sauce world, Devon by the way. Always thought it was great, I will buy the poster …. please. I had to go out and buy a few copies of the mag at the time, a number of clip frames and hand them out to select few, inc LBS! My daughter did an A1 framed collage of Mint for the LBS, it has been up years and they love it. When the book comes out –JO!!! – I will buy a number of copies for special Xmas pressies. Long live Mint and what he stands for. And thank you Jo for many many smiles.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yeah Devon, Somerset…it has that sort of patchwork field vibe to it. With colours like you were riding on LSD.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"It's not mother nature, it's her 18 year old daughter"

ageism, mixed metaphors ? It sounds snappy but doesn't appear to mean anything.

wwaswas

ahem;

I think that Simon's adopted one of his 'I don't get it and nothing you can say will make me' stances

elliptic
    Free Member

@sfb

what intrigues me is that many seem to have found X* iconic and to epitomise Y, yet others like me just turned the page

*Insert cultural touchstone here.

That's just life, innit.

@aracer

Of course he does – why do you think he makes them?

🙄

New round here?

No.

al_f
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    ageism, mixed metaphors ? It sounds snappy but doesn't appear to mean anything.

At a guess, in the context of the strip it means that the view's so good it's like looking at a young attractive lady rather than an older, not quite so attractive one. I don't see what's particularly hard to get about that, unless one is being deliberately obtuse.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Critics eh!

It's easier to shoot something down than actually produce something.

Good work Mr Burt, not too many iconic sheep in the world.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

At a guess, in the context of the strip it means that the view's so good it's like looking at a young attractive lady rather than an older, not quite so attractive one

but "Mother Nature" isn't about attraction but fecundity, which doesn't relate to beauty at all.

coogan
    Free Member

what intrigues me is that many seem to have found MS iconic and to epitomise MTB, yet others like me just turned the page, regretfully unmoved.

I don't feel regretful about turning the page. It's just a cartoon sheep. I never read 'em. Find it all a bit guff too be honest.

smokey_jo

Is that the first use of 'Fecundity' on STW?

Trust sfb 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's easier to shoot something down than actually produce something.

which is why I've not said it was bad, only that I don't get it. If you hold it far enough away it looks vividly graphic.

JoB
    Free Member

a sheep riding a bicycle doesn't stand a chance against sfb's relentless logic

Karinofnine

I love Mint Sauce, always have (even when it was black and white). I've kept loads of them. Thanks Jo, the South Downs always remind me of Mint/Mint reminds me of the South Downs – so does Moby for some reason?

Andy

EDIT: Thats unfair and removed. Sorry SFB!

psling
    Free Member

I'd love to ride in Mint Sauce world, it would be a colouful day out.

But you can; and isn't that what it's about really?

AndyRT
    Free Member

sfb: but "Mother Nature" isn't about attraction but fecundity, which doesn't relate to beauty at all.

Unrelated to Mint, but surely nature is beautiful, although through happy accident, or maybe because of our longterm exposure to her. Ooo er!

Maybe this all stems from the fact that you live and ride in the heartland of off road cycling, and your mundane is an escape for others. Maybe you are so in tune to your cycling world, and the absolute, harsh and astounding nature of nature, that observations generically rendered through the medium of a wooly mammal with very wiry limbs present themselves as the straw that fell onto the camels back, after that particular mammal, with a very grumpy demeanour, had already collapsed under the weight of the previous length of sun dried grass?

delusional
    Free Member

And my friends ride through it with big bright lights

Brilliant. That's a fantastic strip. I think that's just become my favourite Mint Sauce.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘Mint Sauce to Singletrack Petition’ is closed to new replies.