Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cable cutters prices….
  • WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Is there any difference between £37 Park Tools cable cutters and £10 Draper ones?

Is this a case of buy cheap buy twice?

/need some, could do with saving a few quid/

Thanks peeps…

soma_rich
    Free Member

My Pedros ones were £20 and are great.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

My £13 machinemart ones have yet to encounter a problem- they're big ones and as long as I chop quick there's no messing with them.

druidh
    Free Member

Ice Tools ones are nice as they have the little cable-opener nipple thing on too – £16 or so?

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – Park 's generic tools are adequate – & no better

if you want quality cutters, look at Felco

cheapo ones are fine IMO unless you are cutting cables every day

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I have the BBB ones, which are quite good as they're designed to cut cable and cable outers and not flatten it too much (the outers need to be a little bit de-ovalised after)
    I haven't seen the Draper ones, but straight blade cutters will usually flatten outers. If they have a hook-bladed one it should do the job.
    I like Park tools, but wouldn't always suggest they're the best solution for a home mechanic…

allyharp

Bloody hell is that how much park ones cost these days? I paid about £22 a few years ago and they were a great buy, but I'm confident many cheaper options would have been just as good.

TooTall
    Free Member

The CyclePro ones look exactly the same as the ones I bought from a proper tool store – except mine are a different colour. Excellent, work really well, but don't have Park Tools written on them!

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Won't need them every day hence don't want to spend too much on them.

I reckon £10-£15 should be adequate.

Thanks everybody for prompt and helpful service!

😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just get some from a tool/DIY store. I recon I paid about £8 for mine a couple of years ago, and they're as good as anything else. Gear cable is puny stuff! Mine will go through spokes with ease. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

i've had a pair of Park Tool Cable cutters for 10 years, and despite that exclusively use a pair of pliers with side cutters as they cut far better and cleaner than the Park. The park work like scissors so the jaws shear rather than meeting edge to edge like the side cutting pliers and often end up shearing/bending the cable/wire and making a messy cut. 🙄

They languish neglected and unloved in my toolbox. Wanna buy em 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

If they're the Drapers that i'm thinking of, then they're pretty good. If you're buying from a tool shop, then ask for wire rope cutters, it's what people in the tool trade call what the cycle trade refer to as wire cutters.

josh1982
    Free Member

I'll agree with the Felco comment. Pricey though………….but worth it

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Park tools are waaaay overpriced IMO , like the Linn and Naim of the tool world. 😛
    I have a set of the Draper ones and another set I got in a complete toolkit LIKE THIS BUT MORE TOOLSfor a bargain £46 including a toolbox , chain cleaner and various other cleaning brushes. Both sets of cutters look and feel robust enough to lat years fixing my two bikes and those belonging to a couple of my mates

da funk

abductee
    Free Member
    missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Shimano cable cutters. The only ones you'll need for a lifetime of biking. Bought mine about 15 years ago and they cost about £40 then. Not looked to see what they cost now, no need to.

They're the only bike tool I've got which I've never lent out to anyone. I've even warned my 9 year old if he ever uses them for anything other than cables, I'll castrate him with them…..

ziggy
    Free Member

Shimano TLFC10 are by far the best, lasted up to 6 years in the workshop. Trouble is they have been replaced by TLFC11, last set only lasted 8 months before they were fraying wires.

If anybody has some new TLFC10s lying around I'll have 'em.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got some Shimano ones years ago for about £20. Very good, recomended.

juiced
    Free Member

my shimano ones only cost £20ish iirc a number of years ago.still going strong.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

For occasional use these are great. OK there only £5 but someone else recommended them and I've used them a few times.

http://www.screwfix.com/

Item 27403. Sorry I cant post a direct link.

Northwind

A mate of mine uses those, says they'll basically build 2 bikes then they die. But for a fiver that's fine.

I've got a set of Lifeline ones which are, well, OK. Maybe 5 or 6 complete rebuilds and they're starting to wear out, they'll not do more than one or two more but then, they were in a toolkit that cost £35 and came with about 20 other decent tools so that's OK. They're £12 seperate and, well, that's just about OK- they'll do many people fine because normal people don't cut that many cables 😉

z1ppy

I've recommened the screwfix ones before now, have them and a set of shimano one, both are good and there nothing between them, had them over a year and used them for bike building and electrical job (what I orignally bought them for), totally recommend them (both but paricularly the SF if you skint).
    No idea what NW m8 did to kill em, as there fine for me.

Northwind

He used them to cut cables with 😉 The old set were noticably notched.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cable cutters prices….’ is closed to new replies.