Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cable Brakes on a disc only frame
  • joebickley
    Free Member

Hi All,

Just upgraded to a new frame and in the process of moving everything over. I have cable disc breaks (BB7s until i upgrade) but the frames mounts for the rear brake are for hoses only.

Can i get an adpter to put into the hose mounts so i can mount the cable for now?

Joe

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just lash them on with zipties for the time being

radler
    Free Member

can you not thread the cable housing through the hose mounts. will require a full length housing if you do not already have it.

druidh
    Free Member

You can get adapters, but I’d just buy a full length outer and have done with it.

simondbarnes

Just run full length housing, much better.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Full length outer – better winter proofing.

joebickley
    Free Member

Cheers guys, didnt know if putting a full outer on it might put a bit too much resistance on the cable pull, guess i over lube it should be fine. See what i can do tomorrow.

Note to self – buy hydrolics soon 🙂

Bez

I always use full outers and never bother with lube. No worries.

druidh
    Free Member

Full length outer is just fine. I’m running that on my Kona and it’s still the original cable (that’ll be over three years old now). Don’t bother with the lube – it just attracts dirt.

AdamM
    Free Member

Full length outers work really well.

A cheaper ‘upgrade’ would be to get some Avid Full Metal Jacket housing to replace the long straight runs of your cable housing. They make a real improvement to the brake feel, at least with the road version of Avid BB7s (maybe less so with the longer cable pull of the MTB ones though).

radler
    Free Member

do not lube up the cable/housing. the housing has already got ptfe type slippery stuff.

lube just bungs it up.

Saccades
    Free Member

Had BB7’s with full length outers on my inbred for ~5-6 years and liked them so much (untouched in that time except for new pads) that I’ve moved them to my Blur and bought the same again for my 456.

Work a treat.

joebickley
    Free Member

Cheers all, the very helpful LBS gave me a couple of little inserts for the hose mounts that allowed it to pull the cable as normal.

They gave them to me for free also so a shout out of kudos to Michael Vaughn in Kenilworth, decent bunch of chaps. Note to self – must procure next upgrade from there.

JB

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cable Brakes on a disc only frame’ is closed to new replies.