Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying/Making a Tipi/Yurt
  • This winter I will be working in the woods and planning on living in the woods for probebly upto 2 weeks at a time. I need a non permanent solution of something to live in, and most importantly sothing i can have a fire in as it will be really cold without.

Tipis look good but they are about £1000 to buy, and i dont think my sewing is good enough to make one!

Has anyone got any ideas, or know of other tents that you can have a fire in?

hooja
    Free Member

does it have to be take downable each time? if not just build a bender, bend hazel poles and weave them together to make a dome and use a suitable tarp like cover. Yurt is going to cost you more than a tipi.
    Alternatively a tentipi with one of their internal wood burning stoves, think the tents are around £400
    What you gonna be doing in the woods over winter, coppice?

yep for coppicing, i guess it doesnt need to be moveable as long as its not expensive.

With a bender will you get alot of damp through the ground? I was planning to put it on pallets so that the damp problem isnt so bad. Tipi's look ideal but its a strange think to try and find secondhand!

ajf
    Free Member

Yurts are expensive but cool! Here is my mates business and he makes them.
    http://www.wildinstyle.co.uk/wild-experience/

He lived in a yurt he built over last winter quite happily.

Sure he would have a chat with you if you wanted a bit of info/advice. Email me if you want to be put in touch.

incognito
    Free Member

crikey! my mate's yurt doesn't look like this:

wwaswas

there was someone on here living in a yurt/tent for a couple of years wasn't there?

hooja
    Free Member

Should be ok for damp, yep raise it off the ground with pallets and keep it ventilated. Dirt cheap just build it out of what you got.
    We came over to kent a couple of years ago to build a compost toilet in a chestnut wood. Built out of coppiced chestnut and owner asked if we could do a week or so of general coppicing after. We just got my landy and my mates van into the woods, tarped over both and it was home from home (mid jan too) slept in vans and had a fire in entrance to tarped cover. Would like some more jobs like that, was a good laugh

I've got a load of curtains off curtain side trailers which I use as tarpaulins over my firewood and other stuff.
    If you can find somewhere near you that does truck body repairs, they may have some old ones they would sell or give you.
    They would be ideal if you're going to improvise some sort of bender.

dooosuk
    Free Member

wwaswas – yeah, but he gave up within a year from what I remember:

http://torminalis.blogspot.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying/Making a Tipi/Yurt’ is closed to new replies.