Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • buying used hope hubs?
  • jools182
    Free Member

good move or not?

I know it depends on how well they have been looked after etc, but are they easily servicable?

can’t stretch to new prices at the moment

uplink
    Free Member

but are they easily servicable?

very easily

Can’t go wrong at the right price

jools182
    Free Member

£65 fair for a nearly new rear?

Junkyard
    Free Member

pro 2 and what rim
    Pro 11 goodprice
    xc too much say 55???

jools182
    Free Member

hub only, pro II

PJ266
    Free Member

I bought a full wheel (Mavic 721 rim) with a pro 2 rear hub for £50….

Junkyard
    Free Member

it would be cheaper to get a complete wheel even if you can build yourself it is not cost effective. It is probably/possibly what you can get for one if you are selling but personally I would not pay it.

jools182
    Free Member

looks like I’ll just keep trawling the classifieds then

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hubs are easily servicable, and arguably the XC is a bettter hub than the proII (the latter haveing an alloy freehub which gets cut up).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as long as the flanges arent trashed or cracked, and the disc mounts not cross threaded just about every other component is replaceable. theres a thread at the mo about the ratchet in Hope XCs which Ive seen reports saying Hope can replace.

A pair of Hope XC wheels tend to go for £100, Hope Pro2 with decent rims £150+ (a recent seller of Pro2 with Stans at £120 had his arm bitten off). £65 is steep for a hub alone IMHO; Ive bought and later sold a Pro2/DT Swiss 5.1 front wheel for £50.

jools182
    Free Member

I realise built up wheels work out cheaper, but I’ve got the rims already, and I’m pretty sure its not good using used spokes for a new wheel build

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

>and I’m pretty sure its not good using used spokes for a new wheel
    >build

why?

jools182
    Free Member

wouldn’t they be weakened?

wwaswas

not really – as long as they are the right length (i.e. the hub flanges on old and new are the same) you shoudl be fine. People replace buckled rims all the time and keep old spokes if they’re undamaged.

cp

it’s a lot easier to build with new spokes in my experience.

thomthumb
    Free Member

make sure the spoke cross used previously is the same as you wish to use. spokes will mark the flanges and you should stick with what was on there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

re use they will be fine

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘buying used hope hubs?’ is closed to new replies.