Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying used car from dealer – what extras did you haggle in?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’m assuming rather than knock £ off they will be more likely to throw in extras, servicing, MOT?

NZCol

A mate of mine just bought a new Audi and haggled in a Pinarello road bike (guy that owns the garage is the Pinarello importer) – he did well actually as the bloke was a bit shocked I think !

wrightyson
    Free Member

First car I bought from a proper dealer 9 yrs ago, full tank, six months tax, mats and alloys, pug 206.
    First scoob, knob all!
    Second scoob full tank and 500 less than I wanted for my first one!!
    Good luck on the full tank nowadays as well!!!

bruneep

agreed on new mats and 1yrs tax (they offered 6 months) on an ex demo.

went to picked up car, S/H mats fitted and taxed for 6 months. Bypassed salesman went straight to manager and told him very loudly what I agreed and what I got.

End result was new mats a years tax (paid by cheque to me) and 3yrs servicing. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

When I bought a car I got floor mats and two new wheel trims cos two were scratched. Within a week we’d scratched the two same ones again. And never since.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Last new car I bought I haggled for and got

Got the price down to cheapest Internet price
    3 years interest free credit
    3 years free servicing
    Upgrade to 17 inch alloys
    Mats
    12 months tax
    Full paint/interior seal thing
    Beach tent
    Picnic rucksack 😆

I played one dealer off against another and I think the last 3 items were all they had left to give me 😀

I’m a firm believer in ‘if you don’t ask you don’t get’.

Aidan
    Free Member

The price was already very good compared to the internet, so I got a towbar fitted. That way, I could put a bike rack on it 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

The price was already very good compared to the internet, so I got a towbar fitted. That way, I could put a bike rack on it

Didn’t you think about negotiating for the tow bar AND a new bike rack?
    Amateurs! 🙄 😛

project
    Free Member

full tank of fuel,
    new ply line,
    free delivery,
    full service,
    6 months road tax,

thomthumb
    Free Member

only a spare wheel 😯

after getting ~20% off price.

luke
    Free Member

When we bought the wifes car, the guy wasnt willing to knock much money off the screen price, but it was cheap enough anyway. Managed to haggle a years tax and a years very comprehensive warranty rather than 3 months that was included, and a couple of quid off as well.

steveh

It depends entirely on the price of the car and the part ex offer is there is one. If it’s a cheap price and you can’t get a penny off or anything free it’s still a cheap car. If it’s expensive and they offer you lots of free bits and bobs it’s probably still expensive.

If you’re negotiating figure out what each thing they might add is worth to you and think of it as cash discount, e.g. 6 months tax, £100, tank of fuel £60 etc. Then figure out the cost of the car with those and see how good the deal is. Don’t get caught up in to a I must get stuff or it’s a bad deal frame of mind as lots of people do.

northshoreniall

Got 2nd hand car in January – was absolutely no movement on price, but he did give book price for trade in, so not all bad.
    Also then told us he was no good at sums so his wife would do the maths as she was good at them – asked them to tax for 6month at our cost but instead of adding on took it off 🙂 only regret not asking them to do 12 months for us.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying used car from dealer – what extras did you haggle in?’ is closed to new replies.