Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Big Citroens?
  • wooobob

Does anyone have any experience of Citroen’s big cars? I’m thinking specifically of the Xsara Picasso and the C4 Grand Picasso. The latter looks much nicer but is a bit over my budget. The Xsara Picasso looks affordable (cheap, in fact), but a bit dull and slow (how slow is too slow though? I do like to do the odd fun drive but don’t want everyone vomming every time we go round a bend :-))

I’m thinking about an MPV as the missus will find it easier to strap two kids in the back seats than with an estate. Can’t really stretch to an S-Max though (budget less than 5k ideally), so I’m wondering whether the Citroens are worth a look. I did start out looking for anything but a French car though, but maybe I’ve just watched too much Top Gear…

Fallback option btw is a Mondeo – seems to tick all the boxes but the MPV practicality bit.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve got experience of C5’s. Possibly the comfiest car I have ever driven/owned. Wish we had kept it now. Not exactly sporty – but for the money very good. Not sure if the C4 has the hydraulic suspension?

Only complaints would be about silly electronic faults costing a fortune (central locking / window motors) but that’s the same on all cars – and I have no evidence they were more likely to fail on the citroen. The ‘designer’ who engineered the access to the headlamp bulbs presumably did it using a cut away computer model – but again its not uncommon.

Not sure why you think it will be difficult getting two kids in the back of an estate.

wooobob

Only the extra height. Seems like it’d be easier than bending down into the car sometimes is.

My dad had an old C5 for a few years and loved it – particularly the fact it was comfy, smooth and easy to drive. But then he had problems with things; the electronics aspect and ‘niggles’ which Renault, Peugeot and Citroen seem to suffer from.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Big Lemons?

Euphemism non ???

wwaswas

Big Lemons?

reminds me of one of my favourite cartoons;

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you only have 2 kids, why not a C-Max? If you don’t need a seven seater, why get one?

Tracey

We are on our second C4 Grand Picasso, had the first one for four years and have just swapped it for a newer one. Ours have been the 2 ltr auto ones. We have had no problems with them and they are great for carrying the bikes as the rear suspension self levels
    You could get one of the earlier Grand Picassos for £5000

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got C5 estate that replaced an XM extate. Great cars, super comfy, no more problems than any other car. Huge inside.

wooobob

We’ve got a dog too. She likes to spread out.

LHS
    Free Member

If you don’t mind losing all your money on depreciation and have something resembling a pile of sand after 6 years then go for it.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be a thread about XMS or CXs 🙁

wwaswas

mmm, CX Maserati;

ourmaninthenorth

Practical though I’m sure the Picasso models are, they aren’t a patch on the big luxo-barges that Citroen do so well.

If I didn’t know that every electronic gizmo would fail too soon, I’d have a s/h C6.

Nobby

I ran a C5 for 3 years & put 130k on the clock – it never went wrong. Incredibly quiet and comfortable to drive but not exactly ‘inspiring’.

The Wife’s Picasso is now 9 years old, 80k on it & has only had 1 fault which cost < £100 to put right.

They do everything they’re supposed to well.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Citroen XM? Yes please.

We’ve got a Grand Picasso as our main car and to be completely honest, I couldn’t recommend it.

It’s not terribly well put together, nor is it a particularly nice car to drive as the chassis is very wallowy. The ride isn’t great either. The semi-automatic gearbox is very slow and not particularly smooth either. I quite like the engine (1.6HDI) as it’s willing and not too intrusive, but the gearbox is the weak link. The central dash is a pain to read and keep your eye on the road ahead too.

A Citroen DS it most definitely isn’t.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

We had a Xsara Picasso (1.8 petrol) for 9 years from new.

Not the most exciting car but as a family wagon and bike carrier I couldn’t fault it. Comfortable ride and didn’t handle badly (for what it was..).

Only faults in 9 years – digital dash was replaced under warranty after 18 months, boot catch occasionally opened on it’s own. Other than that it never missed a beat.

I’d buy another one. Guy in work has a C4 Grand Picasso – been in it as a passenger a few times and it seems like a good car, did consider one but bought a Ford Galaxy instead, as we wanted the most space possible.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If it’s good enough for champion …

tonyg2003

Picasso aren’t big Citroens. XM/C5/C6 are 😀

I had 3 XM V6 over 9years and sold my last 24v XM earlier this summer. I didn’t have more problems than any other car I’ve owned.

My sister has had two Picasso (old shape) and has a new shape now, with very few problems. The is alot of badge snobbery with citroens that makes them depreciate hard, especially the big ones and makes them good 2nd hand buys.

If my garage was big enough I’d have a DS or SM now!

falkirk-mark

I have had 4 citroens,saxo,zx,and 2 c5s despite what most people tell you they are not expensive plus they have an undeservedly bad name so it keeps second hand values down,The car is second to none in comfort due to the suspension (but I do not think the C4 has the hydro suspension). Also bear in mind that no-one makes a truly awful car these days so the reliability from best to worst is not poles apart.

wooobob

All useful. Ta. Probably need to get out and try a few .

molgrips
    Free Member

Only complaints would be about silly electronic faults costing a fortune (central locking / window motors) but that’s the same on all cars

No, it’s worse on some cars than others.

I’ve had a total of 1 electronic fault on any car I’ve owned, and that was busted wires under the seat.

curvature
    Free Member

I had a 52 plate C5 few years back and although it looked pants was a really good car.

Plasterboard and coving fitted in a treat when we were doing our house up and it was comfortable.

However it was a company car and the question is would buy one myself? Not that age but the later models i think look very nice.

TatWink
    Free Member

IMO if you buy French then you deserve it.

There is a reason that they are dirt cheap.

Buy a C – Max they are great cars for what you need.

speshspenner
    Free Member

+1 for the C4 Grand Picasso, brilliant car. Owned one for the past year and its been great. Had to have a new clutch(under warranty). Goes well good on fuel for the size of car, I like the semi auto gear box, you can change gear with the paddle shift if you want(and if it will let you!), probably going to loose a shed load in depreciation but what doesn’t these days!. Not sure you’ll pick a GP up for 5k, you might find a real leggy one but be wary of the transmission/rear suspension and check everything works,lots of £££££££££ if they fail. Only Exclusive model has self levelling air suspension.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Big Citroens?’ is closed to new replies.