Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Buying something from LBS then not actually buying it ?
  • weeksy

I know it’s poor form, but i ordered a HOPE Pro4 wheel from my LBS last week, 142×12 rear, orange hub, black XC rim, so slightly specific to me.
    This was because i’ve been having issues with my front on the Whyte T130 not staying true…. so i bought and collected a front about 6-8 weeks ago.#
    Since ordering, our washing machine has gone pear shaped and is a £400 replacement item…
    So i’m struggling with the wheel cost now as my rear is currently OK, i was buying it more because i could and it matched and would be longer lasting, rather than a necessity because the rear is broken.

I’m not sure if i’m now obliged (morally or actually) to collect it, or whether it’s just slightly poor form to not collect, or whether i’m burning bridges with LBS who i get on well with (as a customer only, not a mate etc), or….. Well… What’s the protocol under these circumstances ?

IHN

That’s very poor form, especially for something that specific and expensive.

wwaswas

phone and ask if they end up with a charge for returning items to Hope?

I assume they’ll get postage charges each way in any event – how do you feel about paying those?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m assuming you were a regular customer if they didn’t want a deposit from you…

Personally I’d not be spending £400 on a new washing machine though!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s called being a dick.

I’ve ordered something similar for a customer last week, but he’s paid £100 deposit.

coomber
    Free Member

They’ve ordered it on your request. I doubt you are obliged to buy it but if not I’d be mighty annoyed if I were the owner of the LBS and like you say it would burn bridges for the future

weeksy

Personally I’d not be spending £400 on a new washing machine thoug

I don’t make the washing machine decisions. That’s down to Mrs Weeksy and it arrives tomorrow.

weeksy

Looks like i’m putting the wheel on the Credit Card then 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a 200 pound washing machine ? Ours seems to wash clothes.

I wouldn’t bother showing face in the shop again if you order something custom/specific and don’t take it, it’s not cool

Ah I see not being a dick has prevailed . Good choice. 🙂

hooli

If you have to ask, you already know the answer.

weeksy

What’s wrong with a 200 pound washing machine

I’d invite Mrs Weeksy over to answer, but then she’ll know i’ve spent £400 on wheels recently 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

legend
    Free Member

Mrs Weeksy buys washing machine
    You buy wheel
    Sorted

mark90
    Free Member

What’s wrong with £200 wheel?

Oh hang on, I’ve got that all wrong 😉

wwaswas

What’s wrong with £200 wheel?

Oh hang on, I’ve got that all wrong

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Me neither. Ours was about £240 and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Dirty clothes in, clean clothes out. Job done.

EDIT
    And Mrs PP has Hope Hoops on her Kona. That’s how it’s done!

cokie

I assume this is a certain LBS that stock Whyte?
    If so, lovely bunch and Mark deserves the support.

weeksy

cokie – Member
    I assume this is a certain LBS that stock Whyte?
    If so, lovely bunch and Mark deserves the support.

Nope… Random LBS who happens to sell Hope 🙂

weeksy

Me neither. Ours was about £240 and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Dirty clothes in, clean clothes out. Job done.

She wanted specific spin rates, certain cycles, various other things, plus delivery this week, along with fitting and taking the other one away. I think it was £350 before the extra little bits…

Whether it’s wonderful, average or the best washing machine on the planet, i care very little.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a 200 pound washing machine ?

I bought one last week for one of my rental flats. It was £167, washes clothes, looks alright, has a digital display, etc.

Unless it’s an integrated machine then there’s no need to spend £400 if you’re struggling with money.

As for delivery this week, I went to shop, bought it, put it in the back of my car and took it home.

aracer
    Free Member

Quite. No real advantage to a £400 one.

Unlike a bike wheel, where… oh, hang on…

weeksy

As for delivery this week, I went to shop, bought it, put it in the back of my car and took it home.

That’s nice for you 🙂

IHN

Unlike a bike wheel, where… oh, hang on…

Ooh, well held sir 🙂

jamj1974

I’ve only spent about £450 on a pair of wheels – £400 seems a lot to spend on one wheel…!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Removed post – idiot content

fasthaggis

She wanted specific spin rates, certain cycles, various other things

I think a washing machine and some wheels are the least of your worries

hodgynd
    Free Member

There is another option..
    Phone the lbs and explain the situation ..ie..be completely honest with the bloke and see what he says..
    If he is able to return the item and you are willing to pay the postage then no harm done and he will probably respect you more for being so upfront ..
    He might well insist that you purchase the item ..but you will never know unless you ask ..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As said earlier, don’t be a dick. Put yourself in bike shop guys position, how would you feel?.

nealglover
    Free Member

and he will probably respect you more for being so upfront ..

Possible. Although he would respect you more if you paid for what you ordered obviously 😉

weeksy

LOL i asked you answered, i’ll be collecting the wheel this afternoon

hatter

Phone the lbs and explain the situation

This! Even better, go in and see them.

See if they can do it on credit or hang onto them until next payday for a £50 deposit, they won’t want to lose the sale and will be happier being told straight than strung along, most suppliers will take back anything they’re only just sent, leave it a few weeks and they’re likely to be less willing as they will have ordered or manufactured replacement stock.

Hope work on pro-forma (i.e. pay up front) for shops so they will have already paid for your wheels, please bear that in mind.

angeldust
    Free Member

Yeah, right on. Why spend £4K on a bike, when you can ride round the woods on a £100 Halfords special :roll:. Lots of people don’t understand why you would spend that much on a bike, even when you try to explain the differences.

rOcKeTdOg

door handle on that car looks broken, bet that’s about £400

poah
    Free Member

this is why you should buy online lol

nickc

If you want to use the shop again, you’re pretty much obliged to buy the wheel really.

hatter

this is why you should buy online lol

Quite the opposite, if he’d bought online he’d already paid for it and would now be out of pocket whilst he waited for the refund, plus the hassle of posting them back, them possibly going missing etc etc.

poah
    Free Member

Quite the opposite, if he’d bought online he’d already paid for it and would now be out of pocket whilst he waited for the refund, plus the hassle of posting them back, them possibly going missing etc etc.

he could have returned them for a refund per the distance selling regulations or cancelled the order before they arrived.

There is nothing to stop you cancelling the order, if you need the money for something else I would cancel them. At the end of the day, who is more important you or the bike shop.

orangespyderman

Quite the opposite, if he’d bought online he’d already paid for it and would now be out of pocket whilst he waited for the refund, plus the hassle of posting them back, them possibly going missing etc etc. his missus wouldn’t have been able to spend the cash on a damn washing machine

FTFY. But yeah, don’t be a dick. Either buy it or at least talk to them and discuss options. Can they keep it for a month or whatever.

mrtumble
    Free Member

daern
    Free Member

Nah, this is the old LBS argument and holds little water now. Wiggle do 12 month returns (obviously if the item is unused!) with free postage. It’s a tracked return and I’ve never had anything go missing, ever, and if it did, it would not be your problem anyway. The hassle is no more than slapping a label on it and taking it to your nearest 24/7 petrol station.

Honestly, returning unwanted stuff online is less hassle for me than it would be taking it back to the LBS and I find warranty returns comparable – i.e. both LBS and online stores seem to insist on sending stuff back to the manufacturer first which can take bloody ages 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Buying something from LBS then not actually buying it ?’ is closed to new replies.