Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Buying my first Singlespeed – any ST top tips ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Well first one since I was about 8…..

The lure of a Specialized Tricross Singlecross for £275 proved too strong – are there any top tips that the ST massive would like to pass on ?

oh and hello – not been on here for a fair while….

goog
    Free Member

dunno

*waves*

8)

justa
    Free Member

🙂

*waves back*

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

get one with gears it makes the uphills so much easier

JoB
    Free Member

keep some money aside to replace all the bearings in a fortnight or so

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No Idea…

But hiya Bru…

*Waves*

Its been a while..

All good in your world???

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Hi Justa

JoB, is the singlecross not very good?

JoB
    Free Member

the singlecross is good, very good, but some of the parts are "to a pricepoint" shall we say

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Where from justa?

justa
    Free Member

hello teeto and Paul 🙂

things have been a bit crap tbh but hopefully getting better….

JoB – care to be a bit more specific or is that quite literally all the bearings ?

justa
    Free Member

‘the singlecross is good, very good, but some of the parts are "to a pricepoint" shall we say’

As you would expect for £500 – nevermind £275 !

racing_ralph
    Free Member

where from

JoB
    Free Member

well i removed the chainset and BB immediately, it’s too big a gear for off-road, to some fakinger on ebay and for the same money replaced it with a Campag compact chainset and BB that’s still going strong, the rear wheel bearings gave up after 5 winter off-road rides and had to be regularly be repacked with grease and have a couple of bearing changes before i swapped it out for a Goldtec hubbed wheel (which has been excellent) the front wheel faired a little better but still needed regular looking at, the headset bearings (real basic unsealed caged bearings) didn’t like it off-road too much so they were replaced with a Hope integrated unit

but i did treat it badly, proper 3hr+ off-road rides through a very puddly winter, a task some of its parts weren’t designed for

justa
    Free Member

racing ralph – a couple of places are doing them for £275 – I got JeJames to price match…

JoB – ta

I don’t think it will be doing ‘proper’ off road though – will use it for commuting (on can paths, cycle paths etc) so hopefully the bearings will last a bit longer….

no idea what i’ll do with the change ring – unless things have changed round here I don’t really want to start a ‘what size chain ring for singlespeed’….

rOcKeTdOg

hiya Justa, nice to hear from you, email anytime, 1.5 still going strong 🙂

sc-xc

Hi Justa…

GJP
    Free Member

Pearson Cycles in Sutton, Surrey were advertising them at £275 but only 49 and 58cm showing now.

voiplondon
    Free Member

Bought mine from Hargroves in the fall and love it. Use it every day for my commute and then on the local extra-wide bridleway in the evening. Some parts are built to price, but as a whole it is a great package.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Like mine. Bearings do need love and care but are lasting well. I run 42×18 for off road use although very short steeps get me. I am a very unfit slob, always well to the back on group rides on the MTB, even mates teenage sons burn me off. On the Tricross I keep up except for the very steep ups and downs. the steep ups are faster on the SS as I push whatever and this is lighter than my Enduro. Might stick the 39 front on thats kicking about and try the 16 withit and keep the 18 for real steep stuff. Its currently running an 18 fixed on the other side.
    I reckon the brakes are shite though. V’s with drop levers don’t work. As run cantis on other Tricross’s I reckon the levers on the single may be mismatched. Np proof though. I have changed to lx cantis which are no better.Can’t afford froglegs yet. May ditch bars and use TT bull bars and just flat levers.

justa
    Free Member

Hello RD 🙂

Glad to hear it – I still have the 1.7 tis a very good bike despite what road snobs think !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Buying my first Singlespeed – any ST top tips ?’ is closed to new replies.