Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying Advice AM bike
  • makkag
    Free Member

Just Back from my first alps trip and ended up doing more DH than XC and loved it so need a bigger bike from my HT Cube . Been offered this for a k
    Not really heard much about the brand .. Frame is 4 month old NOS been built up but guy has to sell as moving house Said he can go for 1k but its a bit of a trip and im not super up on the make so what are peoples thoughts on this spec . Sent me loads of pictures and seems genuinly clean .. but as the frame is no longer in production and i am not to sure on the brand i have a few doubts – any hoo heres the spec fire away ! and cheers

SPEC:

Frame: Da Bomb Da Pukka 18 inch frame (will fit any one from 5,9 to 6.2)
    rims: Mavic xc 717
    hubs: Hope Pro 2’s
    Spokes: Dt swiss stainless steel doubble butted pro spokes
    headset: chris King
    forks: Marzocchi Z1 bombers (150mm travel)
    Shifter: shimano saints 9spd
    Crankset: shimano saints M810s
    Braking System: Avid Juicy Ultimate’s
    with upgraded goodride hose on front brake and carbon fiber levers
    stem: Da Bomb Impact Stem in camo
    Bars Da Bomb Big Stick Bars Again in camo
    Disk Rotors: Magura with custom 6 bolt spline
    Saddle : SDG Titanium Railed racing saddle
    seat Post: Race Face Evo
    Rear Shock: Manitu 5.4 travel Shock
    Pedals: Da bomb Camo Pedals With custom Grind Plates
    Chain: Shimano SLX 9spd
    Cassette: Road ultegra cassette
    ceramic brake pads 1 has been fitted the other is still in the box

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I don’t know a lot about the frame, but a few of the things I’ve picked up on it is:

a) Looks good? (Matter of opinion).
    b) Most say it handles well.
    c) Frames are made of cheese (a bit prone to dinks & dents).

But not having ridden it…. I am not an expert.

The build is ok – however, the main components i.e. Forks & Shock wouldn’t be my choice.

Some parts on the bike are pretty good, for instance the CK Headset, SDG Saddle, Rims & Hubs (although if you are going down to route of more DH, then 717’s might not be ‘enough’ for you?

The rest of the build is pretty much ‘average’?

Without pics on condition it would be difficult to value it at a grand? But from the spec I probably wouldn’t pay that much for it – I would go for a slightly older SC Heckler/ Orange Five/ Yeti 575 etc….

Bazz

Don’t know that much about the brand but the spec does look a bit average for 1K, if it was me i’d be looking for a second hand Kona coiler or stinky, usually loads around for a good price and relatively bomb proof.

makkag
    Free Member

Cool thanks a lot for taking the time to have a look into it, gives me a leveling view .. think im just still a bit pumped .. dont wanna throw money away just want something bigger to handle the braking bumps as i got smashed around a little too much on what i had

jimjam
    Free Member

Walk away. You can get something a lot nicer for 1K

lucien

For £300 more you could get this Bikey Bling Link– just check out the spec by comparison

slowrider
    Free Member

I’d pass on that and keep checking the classifieds and the bay. You could get a patriot 66 or similar

RustyMac

THIS may be another option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying Advice AM bike’ is closed to new replies.