Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Buying a pub in the peaks
  • mrchrist

Would i be an idiot to buy a pub in the peaks and cater for mountain bikers?

scaredypants

is it on kinder ?

mattmbk
    Free Member

Yes, fastest way to bankruptcy apart from a very expensive drug habit or betting on slow horses.

amodicumofgnar

Yes if there isn’t much riding, no if there is. Dove and Manifold valleys, for example, it would be a bad idea just focus on the tourists.

nicko74

Yes, you would – we’re cheap, can’t drink much (cause we’d fall off), and would cover the place in mud.

On the other hand, buying a pub in the peaks may not be a bad idea! 🙂

mrchrist

It’s near the hope valley… so good riding yes.

I reckon i could attract some guests and have a few ideas on how to promote it.

Hmmmmm…

Pook

For a free pint I’d bring pootles past. And we generally have 20-30 people.

Bunnyhop

Good food would be on the top of my list.
    After a ride I could eat a goat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Could work but I’d suggest opening your doors to dog owners, walkers etc.

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm. Pubs are dying, in the traditional sense. Pubs that do food might be a goer, but what about the Monday to Friday dead time? Will you sell many meals to sweaty mountain bikers, and will said mountain bikers encourage or put off ‘normal’ folk?

…and no one drinks and drives anymore, so what’s the mark up on J2O?

I’m not trying to wee in your shoes, but….

flap_jack
    Free Member

You need to be as good as the Cheshire Cheese for food.

mrchrist

Good food – yep can do that
    walkers – welcome
    dogs – welcome
    other tourists – yep plenty of them
    week days – tricky: corporate/business clients for team building/training, special nights e.g curry night, free food e.g. sandwiches for local clubs ride… don’t want to give too much away:)

mrchrist

oh used to be a chef and worked in a restaurant with a Michelin star too;)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Big whoopy wow.

Good luck cos you’ll need it.

project
    Free Member

But do you have customer focused skills,are you chatty and freindly or just scream at sausepans,like a lot of shefs.

Most tourist pubs only do well at wekends so what to do for the rest of the week.

project
    Free Member

oh and i ride a bike with 2 michelin tyres,
    lol.

miketually
    Free Member

Add in some hostel-style bed and breakfasts, secure bike storage, etc. And you might be onto something.

Basically, make the Dales Bike Centre but with a bar and in the Peak…

Garry_Lager

Busloads of OAPs are queuing out the door in Castleton alehouses whenever I’ve been there. Admittedly they’re queuing for half a mild and a glass of tap water for the afternoon, but the market is there.

Guess it would come down to location, as ever. There’s an alehouse near me in S Manchester that could do very well if someone with two brain cells got hold of it and was prepared to sweep out the dross. So I’m sure these sort of anomalies must exist in the Peak District.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mailed you

mrchrist

Yep customer focused: friendly, good host and have can create good /hearty Big whoopy wow menus.

I guess what i am asking is do you think the peaks be a good place for a mountain bike resort type hotel?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes

rogerthecat
    Free Member

A Michelin Star Chef in the valley?
    I hope it’s my local.

trambler

Can’t see the bike crowd alone keeping you solvent, but pubs that do good food, good beer and are pleasant to be in seem to fair OK. Tennants seem to have it doubly hard/near impossible. Two good pubs that I use are being given up by their current Landlords due ever increasing and ridiculous rents demanded by greedy pub companies.

mrchrist

Yep dales bike centre with a bar it what i am going for just need half a million to buy it:)

Thanks for all the input, didn’t mean to out rage anyone with my Michelin comment by the way just prove that i have some skills in the kitchen;)

nealglover
    Free Member

…and no one drinks and drives anymore, so what’s the mark up on J2O?

More than the markup on an average pint.

And soft drinks from the mixer are even more than that.

crikey
    Free Member

But people only have one J2O….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Ah just twigged on which pub 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

If the food is proper food and not that pre-prepared microwave bag 5hite. Doesn’t have to be Michelin star just good homemade fare. Is b&b a possibility? If you could do b&b I would say go for it.

mrchrist

yeah good home cooked food, nothing pretentious. B&B with dorms, doubles twins & singles.

Right decision made, i am going to buy it thanks imbred456!

sobriety
    Free Member

Ignore me.

nealglover
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    But people only have one J2O….

Very true.

Unless you have one driver and a few others having a few drinks maybe ?

But agreed, it’s not the most profitable type of customer.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Would you allow support vehicles on the car park?

cranberry
    Free Member

Imagine being this —> <—- far away from good riding, but not having any time to ride as you are working all the time and can’t afford a manager.

I grew up in a pub – my dad used to work 60 hours Thurs-Sun.* He got Wed afternoon and evening off though.

* that was without doing B&B – you’ll be the last to bed and the first up, every day.

onehundredthidiot

Was in Malham recently (yes i know different part of englandshire) two pubs, one doing a roaring trade and the other was a bit “chrome and beechwood”.

40mpg

Just make sure its got more showers than the place over the road!

I think the mix of dorms and traditional B&B rooms would be a good idea, catering for everyone from groups looking for cheap beds (like us), to couples out for riding/walking weekends.

Have a word with my bro, ciderinsport off of here, after Mayhem – he’s an ex-publican.

And thanks for an excellent weekend last month! Look forward to trying the pub next year 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Was in Malham recently (yes i know different part of englandshire) two pubs, one doing a roaring trade and the other was a bit “chrome and beechwood”.

The Lister Arms and the Buck Inn respectively?

🙂

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot – Member

The chrome and beechwood one would be the one that complained when 10 of us turned up for breakfast 15 minutes before they were ready. We didn’t return the following day.

simonm
    Free Member

A good start would be to use the correct name for the region. Its The Peak district OR Dark Peak but never the Peaks.

Cheshire cheese is the most MTBer and walker unfriendly pub on the planet.

timc
    Free Member

too risky for me

saleem
    Free Member

Are you buying freehold or leasehold, if leasehold who’s it with, or is a a beacon promotion, what are you tied to buying, what’s the footage space compared to table space. Where was it that had the star ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Buying a pub in the peaks’ is closed to new replies.