Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Buying a nearly new car – what checks to make?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Planning to buy a newish car i.e. 3-4 years old. I’m ok with the mechanical checks.

What legal type checks do I need to make? The sort where you confirm the car is free of finance etc.
    Many thanks!

john_drummer
    Free Member

HPI check is what you’re looking for. Should be about £20 a pop

Basil

HPI check gives you recourse if stolen etc

dudeofdoom

HPI and make sure vrm and vin match 🙂

don’t want to be just checking number plate…..

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Why are some HPI checks e.g. the AA one £20, while others eg autotrader one only £6. They all seem to checking the same data??

matt_outandabout

If you can “make progress”?

Basil

A lot of the cheap checks just check information freely available from MOT data etc,
    The HPI check gives access to other data bases and insurance if the information is not accurate.
    But as stated above check every number, chassis ,dashboard , gearbox ,engine, and google what the plates should look like and their location.
    Problem is the profit is great on newer cars by ripping you off, and more effort crims will put in.
    Me, I like to telephone the prevous owner for a chat, check mileage crash history etc.
    (forgive spelling just had Xmas curry and drink)

tron
    Free Member

The cheap checks will tell you if the car is a write off etc. The expensive ones tend to tell you and insure you in case there’s a problem with their data. Ie, if you buy a car and it turns out to have outstanding finance, and it gets repossessed, they will pay out to cover the cost of the car.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Ah ha, that makes sense. Cheers.

dudeofdoom

Yep rember a story about a Lambo that HPI advised wasn’t stolen but was …. They just settled so buyer wasn’t out of pocket..

I used to work for them in a time before Internet 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Logbook loans

tonyg2003

The most comprehensive HPI check will find Log book loans. Well worthwhile

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Buying a nearly new car – what checks to make?’ is closed to new replies.