Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying a car.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Is it better to buy from a dealer with the associated warranty or privately and buy, as I believe you can do, a seperate extended warranty?
    Pros cons?
    Who’s good bad for extended warranties?
    Thanks muchly.

jam-bo

extended warranties arent worth the paper they are written on.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well, that was short and sweet.
    Cheers.
    😀

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve heard the aftermarket warranty co’s put up a fight when you try and claim. I’ve never used one myself, just heard through friends.

Manuafacturers warranty has been very good IME especially if it’s that Audi you were enquiring about. Dealer, hmmm, depends on the Dealer to a large part.

donsimon
    Free Member

Manuafacturers warrant has been very good especially if it’s that Audi you were enquiring about. Dealer, hmmm, depends on the Dealer to a large part.

That Audi has gone, my head has been turned by the A5 though. It was a thought as some private sales seem to be quite bargaintastic, but obviously won’t have manufacturer’s warranty, I’m looking at a budget for 2008/9 cars. Private plus extended warranty seemed like an option for opening up the supply pool.
    Also aware of the dealer thing too, can be a bit hit and miss, I used to work in the trade so know a few dealers locally.
    Worth a try.

rocketman
    Free Member

extended warranties arent worth the paper they are written on.

+1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a warranty unless it’s manufacrurers warranty, or an extension with the same conditions.

Save the money and stick it in the bank. If nowt goes wrong you save money. Simples!

I’ve been driving 24 years now, had my own cars for 23 of those and only ever had one big bill (£500) in all that time. Had a few around the £100-150 mark, but I’m still quids in on warranty costs, by a LOOOOONG way! 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

I always buy private and take the risk…although I do know my way around a car a little bit and tend to make half my decision judging on the current owner and half on the condition of the car.

donsimon
    Free Member

How much are we spending on the car?

Looking at 15-20k second hand in the Audi flavour, also considering a Toyota landcruiser… 😯
    Leasing is another option as it’ll be used for work/business it’ll need to be reliable, hence the warranty, but I do undersatnd what you’re saying PP.

boblo
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about it being nicked or HP riddled rather than the warranty. If it’s a £20k A5, it might even still have some manufacturers cover on it. I’d get it properly (AA?)inspected and possibly MOT’d at the local Govt Vehicle Testing Station (notat a Garage) for piece of mind but it’s the owner history/finance thing that would worry me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car.’ is closed to new replies.