Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying a bike from Europe: considerations
  • allyharp

Thinking about buying a full sus bike from a large German retailer (hibike) but just want to check I’m not forgetting anything important first. I’ll assume that the UK distributor for the brand won’t help out in the case of any warranty issues, but I’m assuming I’d still have a valid warranty with the potential downside that I’d have to ship it back to Germany?
    Note: I’m only taking this route as what I want isn’t available in the UK – it’s not just to save a few pounds!

I’m also considering paying for this on debit card. Normally I’d use a credit card for the apparent “extra protection” but my limit won’t stretch that far and the PayPal currency exchange rate is awful.
    Is the situation going to make the world collapse?!

FuzzyWuzzy

Debit cards now have a decent level of protection but depends how much the bike is costing. Also remember your brakes will be the wrong way around…

thehustler
    Free Member

dont forget breaks tend to be reversed on foreign bikes

scotroutes

I think you’ve just about got it. It might be worth having a wee word with the UK Distributor though as they might be able to bring one in especially for you.

allyharp

remember your brakes will be the wrong way around…

Exactly the sort of thing I’m after: I’d managed to forget that somehow. I’m not too fussed as they’ll be going straight on the classifieds anyway (replacing with my current XTs). They are Elixir 7s which I believe are flippable anyway.

As for the distributor I have been on touch with them and told them that I loved the demo they set up, but the lack of full-build availability is a blocker for me. I haven’t explicitly asked if they can import one especially but they’ve had plenty chance to offer it, and haven’t.

rickmeister

Hibike do electric full suss, is that what your getting ?

br
    Free Member

As for the distributor I have been on touch with them and told them that I loved the demo they set up, but the lack of full-build availability is a blocker for me.

Just buy a frame?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Can you pay a deposit (over £100) on credit card?
    Then you get the credit card’s full protection

Schweiz
    Free Member

Hibike do electric full suss, is that what your getting ?

Hibike is a big German online retailer. Like chainreaction but with an even worse website

Haibike are a German bike brand with an increasing focus on ebikes and electronic suspension control.

andytherocketeer

May be able to pay a positive credit on to the credit card so you can use that?

Never used hibike before, so don’t know how fussy they are with cards. Some places that say debit card over the phone mean only German bank card, but then if it’s a Visa Delta type thing, it should go thru since to the shop and card handler it’ll look like a Visa.

allyharp

Holy thread resurrection!

To update: I ordered the bike from Germany and just paid by debit card. It cost about £70 than it would if I’d had a decent forex fee free credit card.

Delivery took a while as first my bank blocked the foreign transaction, then I hit a German holiday before waiting for Hibike to receive the bike and then post it out to me. So probably 3.5 weeks from ordering to delivery.

The reason I was ordering via this route was because not only is the bike I wanted only available as a frame in this country, it also only came in grey. Additionally it’s built around 130mm 29er forks with a 51mm offset which are surprisingly hard to find (the Foxes on the complete builds are OEM only, and Pikes aren’t available off the shelf in that length either – though can bemodified with extra parts and time).

So I’m now the happy owner of a Salsa Horsethief in lime green which should be a very rare sight in this country.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any pics Ally?

allyharp

Only bike shot I’ve got so far:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying a bike from Europe: considerations’ is closed to new replies.