Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Buy Marsdenman's Bike For Charity
  • mintimperial

It’s strange and sad to write this, but I feel like I have to share it with you lot. Before my mate Chris Turner (Marsdenman) died of lung cancer he asked me if I would sell off his bike kit after he’d gone, so that’s what I’m doing. He wanted all the proceeds go to one of the charities that had helped him out following his diagnosis, and after a chat with Sharon (Chris’s wife) we decided the best way to do this was to eBay the lot and pay 100% of the proceeds to Kirkwood Hospice, the local hospice that provided great care and support for them both during Chris’s illness.

Accordingly I have now started to sort out his kit and list it on eBay. The first item is his main mountain bike, based around a nearly-new Cove Handjob frame. It’s a real Trigger’s broom bike, but in a good way, the kit is pretty sorted and it rides very nicely. The listing is here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111423964265

Remember, 100% of whatever we raise goes to a brilliant charity, so you can buy yourself a smashing new-to-you bike and feel all warm and fuzzy about it at the same time. 🙂

(I know that threads selling stuff are supposed to go in the Classifieds section but this is a little different, I think, so I hope the Powers That Be will make an exception – it’s for a great cause, in memory of a smashing chap whom many of us loved dearly. I’ll continue updating this thread as and when I list more of Chris’s stuff on eBay. There are a few more nice bits of kit that I’ll be listing over the next few days and weeks, so watch this space. If you are interested please keep any sale chat on eBay, thanks.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good luck here, an eminently worthy sale!

*Edited to make Drac’s post look silly! 😉

Drac

Done before you reported. 🙂

Good luck with the sale.

mintimperial

Smashing, cheers! 🙂

Bunnyhop

Typical of Chris to think of doing this,especially being as ill as he was.

Thanks mintimperial for sorting this out. nbt and myself shall spread the word amongst our mtbing friends.
    I hope the bike and parts go to a good home

lowey

Shared with all I know.

Hope it fetches a thousandth of what he was worth.

Top bloke… bollocks disease…..

nbt

Shared last night and started the bidding – pleased to see I’ve been outbid overnight but still needs to raise more money, please pass the word around your cycling groups and via social media and so on…

matt_outandabout

Most excellent.

paulevans
    Free Member

bid placed

grahamt1980

Can someone set up a just giving page, as I will bid. But if I don’t win I will donate the bid amount.

manderson
    Free Member

As grahamt1980 said,I don’t necessarily need a bike or kit right now but if there’s a just giving page I’m sure there’ll be just as many donations as sales.

jamj1974

Best of luck!

Slogo
    Free Member

I would definitely donate if there was a charity page. Get it sorted!

I hope you raise lots of money for his charity.

mintimperial

Hi all, thanks for the bids and shares and whatnot. Seems to be going pretty well so far. 🙂

Don’t worry, I am told by Sharon that there is an official donation thingy in the works. It would be great if you could hold up on donations until that’s announced, because then all your very kind gifts will be directly associated with Chris, rather than just random donations, if you see what I mean. As soon as it’s up and running I’ll put a notice up here, naturally.

mintimperial

I’ve just listed the frameset from Chris’s road bike, a nice Scott CR1 SL that he bought off the back of recommendations on here, I think. Here you go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111427413386

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, that Scott… bid will be placed after pay day!
    Can’t justify the Handjob as already got one.

mintimperial

Hmm, apparently I screwed up on the Scott listing, it’s a CR1 Pro not a CR1 SL. The Pro is supposed to be less fancy than the SL but it’s still a nice frameset!

Anyway, I’ve pulled the auction, corrected it, and it should relist later on this evening at the following address: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111429724936

marsdenmoocher
    Free Member

Hello – I’m Sharon or Mrs Marsdenman as some of you might know me.

A few people have asked on here about a just giving page or similar. I’ve set one up – hopefully I’ve done it right.

Can I just say a huge thank you to mintimperial for doing this – as Chris knew, I wouldn’t have had a clue where to start

https://www.justgiving.com/ChrisTurner68/

Sharon & Ted the Terrier xx

mintimperial

Ok, so, I thought that splitting would raise more money for Kirkwood, so this evening I listed a load of little bits off Chris’s road bike build:

PD M520 SPDs
    105 Rear Mech
    105 Front Mech (DM)
    Selle Italia Saddle
    Shimano BR-561 Road Brake Calipers
    105 STIs
    105 Compact Chainset
    Easton Stem 100mm
    Easton Drop Bars
    Easton Seatpost 31.6mm

Go nuts! (If anyone is in the HD area and wants to save on postage, by the way, drop me a line if you win the item and I’m sure we can sort out meeting up somewhere. I’ll put the wheels up later…)

nbt

I’ve put a couple of bids on, if I win I’ll be over for a ride 😉

spooky_b329

I’m browsing on an iPhone which is not my normal phone but it doesn’t appear you gave listed the items as for charity on eBay.

If you do this, bidders are reassured it’s genuinely for charity and I think eBay waive some/all of the fees as well.

mintimperial

Hmm, that’s weird, they are official charity listings but it doesn’t show anything to indicate that it’s a charity listing in the Android app either. Or the website in Chrome on Android. Very annoying. Not much I can do about it though, I think?

They’re all definitely listed with 100% of the fees going to Kirkwood, you can verify this by looking at them on the website on a computer. eBay listed them all for free because of this. Everything (bar postage) is definitely all going straight to charidee, via eBay’s official channels.

By the way I also listed Chris’s old road wheelset last night: Easton EA30 Wheels

spooky_b329

It is strange…I’m using safari browser.

mintimperial

Yeah, I think eBay just don’t bother with the ribbons and charity gubbins on any mobile platforms. Irritating.

Anyway, it *is* all going to Kirkwood and you can check it is by taking a look on a computer. 🙂

nbt

The ribbons are showing for me on my android tablet (chrome browser) in my bid list and on the item pages. Most odd, but be reassured it’s definitely for charity

marsdenmoocher
    Free Member

I don’t know it’s anyone from this forum who has bought the Cove Handjob (or Yellow Peril as I generally called it) but that’s £670 towards Kirkwood Hospice 😀

Don’t forget there are other things on there also raising money for Kirkwood so please do spread the word if you know anyone who would be interested

Thanks

Sharon (Mrs MM) xx

soobalias
    Free Member

a good friend of mine, who is as chuffed that he has a bike again as he is that his hard earned is going to a good cause.
    the yellow peril will be loved and abused in equal measure.

marsdenmoocher
    Free Member

😀 😀

mintimperial

a good friend of mine, who is as chuffed that he has a bike again as he is that his hard earned is going to a good cause.

Smashing! It’s all boxed up and ready for collection today, should be with him tomorrow. 😀

marsdenmoocher
    Free Member

Again, I don’t know if it’s anyone from this forum but Chris’s Scott CR1 Pro Road Frameset sold last night and that’s another £531.76 towards Kirkwood Hospice so thank you. 😀

There are still some items on there … and another bike is being reconstructed as we speak (although not by me I hasten to add)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/t0msk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Apologies if this breaks any rules 🙄

Mrs MM

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Buy Marsdenman's Bike For Charity’ is closed to new replies.