Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Button up shirts for cycling?
  • tootallpaul

Me again…

I remember seeing pics of Chips riding in a normal “button” up short sleeved shirt- and I quite fancy getting a couple for the summer and touring…

Any ideas/recommendations?

Preferably in muted colours- grey/black sort of thing…

Cheers,

Paul

thepodge
    Free Member

Any cheap walking shop will have those, problem is you’ll get a draught up your back

tootallpaul

Is that a problem if its warm?

🙂

RustySpanner

I sometimes wear shirts over a base layer for touring – couple of old Fred Perry’s and some cheap ones from Halifax market.

Nice to soak the collar when it’s hot, cools you down a treat.

binners

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’re not after a cycling specific one are you so could you not just go to the shops and buy one you like the look of?

If you want cycle specific have a look at rapha and there’s a casual cycling apparal brand I can’t remember the name of.

nedrapier

sombrio?

scruff
    Free Member

Helly Hansen aswell.

binners

Nothing says ‘More money than sense’ quite like Rapha 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I remember seeing pics of Chips riding in a normal “button” up short sleeved shirt

Was it this pic?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Nothing says ‘I like wearing clothes that look and feel like shit than Aldi/Lidl’

rj
    Free Member

Chainreaction do a chequerred Sombrio one.

binners

So garry… if you don’t get your gear from Rapha, then its Aldi is it? 😯

Thats quite a leap. Have you ever heard of something called mid market?

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.rapha.cc/gingham-long-sleeve-shirt

It’s only £95 (+ postage)

Gary_M
    Free Member

One ‘r’ please. Have you never heard of ‘people can spend their own money on what they want without some hackneyed phrase being wheeled out’

RustySpanner

Gary_M – Member

Nothing says ‘I like wearing clothes that look and feel like shit than Aldi/Lidl’

Honestly, I don’t know how I contain my shame sometimes, riding past people in my Aldi bike gear.

Oh, that’s right, I couldn’t give a rat’s ass. 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

the rapha shirts are great, not for pie-eaters though as they have a ‘fitted’ cut round the waist.

mcboo
    Free Member

Rapha in the sale…..I got one of those up there for £25, very nice too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

We met these guys last summer, classic Rivendell types without a stitch of bike specific gear between them. They even had a travelling guitar with them.

theflatboy
    Free Member

as posted above, i thought Swrve as well – not cheap but look pretty nice.

theflatboy
    Free Member

also muxu – cheaper but not cheap, but also pretty nice:
    http://www.muxu.cc/muxu-ride-shirt.html

thomthumb
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Rapha in the sale…..I got one of those up there for £25, very nice too.

Fair enough. Sensible price. £95 though, only a complete MUG would pay that. Mug’s own choice of course.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah muxu, thats the one I was thinking of.

Honestly, I don’t know how I contain my shame sometimes, riding past people in my Aldi bike gear.

Some people are happy to spend what some may consider a lot of money on cycling gear others are happy to wear cheap stuff. Takes all sorts eh.

midlifecrashes

Columbia and Timberland make good hiking/outdoors stuff in the style you want, that’s not cotton and lots of weights available. TKMax can be useful, but much better choice from US retailers.

binners

Furry muff Gary (sorry about the extra ‘r’). Its your money.

But I just get the impression that the Rapha stuff is more about riding your fixie from Hoxton to Shoreditch*, on a sunny afternoon, to meet up with somebody asymetrically-haircutted, for a skinny frapachino, than for ‘real’ riding – where its likely to get covered in shit, regularly soaked, get snagged on barbed wire fences you’er hoying your bike over, get oil all over over it when you inadvertently wipe your hands down it after fixing a puncture, then (somewhat inevitably) get a huge rip down it when you stack your bike on a rocky section

*See Northern Quarter, Manchester for equivalent Northern species

EDIT: Blimey! I’ve just had a look round the Rapha site 😯 Some of the prices are absolutely eye-watering! That shirt now looks like quite a snip at under 100 quid

shedbrewed
    Free Member

It’s not really my sort of style, but Start Fitness have some Bspoke shirts in a cycle fit, cheap enough too.

brassneck

But I just get the impression that the Rapha stuff is more about riding your fixie from Hoxton to Shoreditch*, on a sunny afternoon, to meet up with somebody asymetrically-haircutted, for a skinny frapachino, than for ‘real’ riding – where its likely to get covered in shit, regularly soaked, get snagged on barbed wire fences you’er hoying your bike over, get oil all over over it when you inadvertently wipe your hands down it after fixing a puncture, then (somewhat inevitably) get a huge rip down it when you stack your bike on a rocky section

You might get that impression, but having had a club shirt, armwarmers and socks bought for me as a 10 year gift from work, I can assure you it’s the nicest riding jersy I own – comfy, warm enough, cool enough, looks good, well fitted, wicks well, well thought out pockets etc etc.

And when I ripped it stacking an mtb through the brambles (OK I’ll admit it was a single speed) they repaired it for me, FOC.

Wouldn’t have paid me own money before, but now, I just might.. rather have 2 or 3 good jerseys than 8 gash ones.

Gary_M
    Free Member

But I just get the impression that the Rapha stuff is more about riding your fixie from Hoxton to Shoreditch*, on a sunny afternoon, to meet up with somebody asymetrically-haircutted, for a skinny frapachino, than for ‘real’ riding

Rapha kit is very robust so your initial outlay does last a long time. I’ve been using rapha kit for years, used very regulalry on a 20 mile each way commute and the jerseys still look very good and have not rips, tears, loose stitching, etc. Thats worn a couple of times a week over a few years – pretty good going.

Rapha does have city riding kit but the real cycling kit really is very good. They do sponsor a road team, its not all about fixie riding.

MrSmith
    Free Member

rarely wear my Rapha shirts on the bike.
    but there was this one time i popped into town to pick up some single estate yirgacheffe and some house blend espresso beans from an artisan roasters on my baby blue fixie condor.
    i captured the hipster zeitgeist and had a really nice piccolo and cantucci at the same time. nice 8)

tootallpaul

I used to live near Yirgacheffe…

Didn’t mean to start a row!

🙂

Cheers for all the suggestions chaps!

P

KZP894
    Free Member

In hot weather you can’t beat a large long sleeve cotton shirt for touring. Sun beating down, warm air rising off the tarmac, the road stretching out ahead, dropping down into the Rift Valley…..

tootallpaul

I miss the Rift Valley…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Button up shirts for cycling?’ is closed to new replies.