Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bum Chaffage :( pads or seat???
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

howddddy! bit of a strange one, ive recently switched boths pads to dhb aeron pro (previously the dhb version too so same brand), and gone to a charge spoon (previously a fizik gobi xm)….my ass has been pretty sore since i remember changing to this combo – i know you often get sore about 3-4 hours on a mtb, but im getting this sometimes after 1 hour, and previously i genuinely cannot remember having it with previous setup…

so question is, could it be the cut of the newer dhbs, or is it more likely to be the charge spoon causing the grief? i looked down below with a mirror last night 😆 and i have 2 red chaffing marks literally where your butt would land on the outside of the seat??

is there a cure, or shall i go back and buy a new fizik gobi instead?

ps the bib shorts feel pretty comfortable and are the same brand, but suppose to be even better!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Asos chamois cream is excellent stuff, your body’s probably just getting used to the different kit.

Have you got your sizing right/are DHB conservative with the padding? Make sure that they cover your sit bones when you are in a riding position, last time I bought bibs loads of pairs were just on the edge. I’m a large small/small medium 5′ 11″ so it takes a bit of trial and error.

I think a lot of people on here ride spoons.

Keva
    Free Member

different shorts different saddle sounds normal to me, you’ll need to get used to them first before riding hours on end.

as above, does it all fit properly ?

Kev

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers – yeah the shorts are super comfy, ive sized up to a medium so by all accounts given myself more padding i guess…i felt around the area yesterday and there is padding underneath all of the seat, so bones/bum are constantly on the seat with padding, not even on the edge etc…

i did have a charge spoon years ago – but riding much much longer now, i switched to a gobi about 2 years back, but the first one fell apart, got a replacement and that was worn in about 5 months, so sold it and bought a spoon again!

has got me thinking as to why i tried a gobi in the first place, as i cant really remember why i did 🙁

ive been riding with this combo for about 1-2 months now by the way so its not brand new etc…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Changing shorts and saddle both at the same time is never a good idea.
    My guess would be that the saddle is the problem. And use lots of chamois cream.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Saddle is the problem I reckon.

druidh
    Free Member

Also worth checking your saddle height. If it’s slightly higher, you may be rocking around a bit.

Another vote for chamois cream too.

Andituk
    Free Member

Check the angle too, I changed the forks on my bike recently, and the slight change in saddle angle from the slacker head angle meant my arse was raw after the next few rides, until I realised 😮

rootes1

when you say ‘sore’ do you mean rubbed skin so that it is red/broken or do you mean achy i.e. like numb bum etc

from you top post… I used a charge spoon for lejog and the stitching at the sides rubbed a hole in one cheek..

but I like the shape of the spoon..can ride on it all day. I found the Fizik Aliante to be be similar in shape to the spoon but without stitching and a fraction narrower..

you also mentioned you like the shape of the Gobi.. in that case a spoon (or aliante for that matter) will not be for you as it is quite a bit wider and has a different shape completely and suits a different sit bone position/spacings

I would keep the bibs and change back to a gobi

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks for the advice guys – duly noted – guessing its not the shorts then, didnt think it was to be honest, as dhb bib shorts have always been pretty amazing for me!

where do you apply this chamois cream? onto your botty cheeks? or for example where mine is now got two red chaffing lines from the saddle???

rootes1

if you are getting such distinct lines on your arse then really you have a bigger problem then cream can solve..

trust me if you keep riding with those red marks, soon they will turn to broken skin.. this makes cycling most unpleasant.. one pair of my bibs still has the bloody/gooey stains on the pad despite lots of washing..

the gobi is a much narrower saddle than the spoon..

also as a note you can get loan saddles from many shops – this is very worthwhile before you stump up money.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool cheers for the help – ive not noticed blood soaked stains etc, more like worn sore skin on my pale complexion….

so as your suggesting the gobi is narrower it will be better for this problem? ive had one before and cant remember having this at all…so it could just be that the spoon is doing this..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry rootes – cross post! very informative thanks agian! looks like back to a gobi it is!

its not cracked skin at the mo, just literally two red lines in the creveses (sp?) of the bottom of my ass crack (JUST LITERALLY TO THE SIDE OF MY BUMHOLE 😆 ), i suppose its where the back of the saddle starts to go narrow – thats the point on my underneath, at the back of the nose nearest to the actual wide bits..

druidh
    Free Member

Am I gonna be the first??

chakaping
    Free Member

get some barrier cream and stop talking about it

🙁

rootes1

sorry rootes – cross post! very informative thanks agian! looks like back to a gobi it is!

its not cracked skin at the mo, just literally two red lines in the creveses (sp?) of the bottom of my ass crack (JUST LITERALLY TO THE SIDE OF MY BUMHOLE ), i suppose its where the back of the saddle starts to go narrow – thats the point on my underneath, at the back of the nose nearest to the actual wide bits.

hmmnnn you said bumhole… i was thinking from your post it was more on the cheek..

anyway no pics please and yes try your old saddle first..

if you want to try cream then Ozone elite is nice if expensive.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bum Chaffage :( pads or seat???’ is closed to new replies.