Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • building regs / advice
  • warton
    Free Member

all,

I bought a flat off a 'friend' about 8 years ago. we've have nothing but hassle with it, which I've put up with but now after pulling up the kitchen floor to investigate why the tiles I put down aren't sticking we find that the kitchen floor consists of chipboard, on a framework. I know, after speaking to other builders that this is shocking, so I'm wondering what do I do? should I get in touch with building regulations to see what they say, or is there anyone else I can contact? Or do I talk to my ex friend and say fix it, with the incentive of reporting him if not (as I know he'll say no at first)

advice would be appreciated

Drac

Probably be difficult to do that now you've signed contracts not to mention lived there for 8 years. Mind you I'm only guessing.

nickjb
    Free Member

building regs people wont care and certainly wouldn't go after your mate. All you can do is fix it and get over it.

midlifecrashes

Chipboard on a framework is how lots of floors are made. If the boards are thick enough, and water resist (usually a greenish tint), it would be fine by the Regs. Shocking is someone attempting to stick tiles to something without knowing what it is. If it's very flexy, give up on the idea of tiles or redo the subfloor. Not very flexy you can still tile, but need to use the right adhesive and grout.

warton
    Free Member

it isn't water resitant, thats the problem. anyway cheers, I'll have to bite the bullet and get the lot replaced…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Just paint the chipboard, then the tiles will stick

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought you were chancing your arm a bit with the OP there warton. 😉

we find that the kitchen floor consists of chipboard, on a framework. I know, after speaking to other builders that this is shocking

A lot of builders still use this method for a sub-floor. What might have been shocking would be the method used for fixing the framework. Also, the chipboard should be water resistant – that greenish stuff mentioned earlier, or P5. Not sure T/G chipboard that's not P5 would be against building regs though…is it?

Also, chipboard is best screwed down. Nailed down tends to squeak after a while.

Shocking is someone attempting to stick tiles to something without knowing what it is

Harsh, but true.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘building regs / advice’ is closed to new replies.